Naturals. Im so depressed.

theoneandonly

I wanted to get some input from yall. It will be 2 years of being natural in December. I usually go to get a flat iron and blowdry and the beautyshop. I have been doing this weekly with no damage. Now for the past 4 or 5 weeks in Memphis the weather was 100 degrees plus. I went to the beauty salon to get twist outs. My hair has broken mid ways up alot of strands. My hair appears thin. It was very very thick. I dont know what I did wrong. I kept it moisturized. Maybe it was because i put it in a high ponytail with an ouchless band once my twistouts got old. I think maybe it was because i got under the dryer at the salon with the twists( which were done to the scalp). Maybe the dryer dried my hair out,causing it to break. I see healthy twistouts on youtube alot, but they usually air dry. I am so depressed, now i feel like i have to start all over. It seems like getting it flat ironed once a week would have did damage, but it didnt. :sad:

theoneandonly
what products do you use to twist? i'm not understanding where the breakage is coming from....do you wrap the ouchless band too tight. maybe the heat ussage has caught up to ya.

Last edited:
I wanted to get some input from yall. It will be 2 years of being natural in December. I usually go to get a flat iron and blowdry and the beautyshop. I have been doing this weekly with no damage. Now for the past 4 or 5 weeks in Memphis the weather was 100 degrees plus. I went to the beauty salon to get twist outs. My hair has broken mid ways up alot of strands. My hair appears thin. It was very very thick. I dont know what I did wrong. I kept it moisturized. Maybe it was because i put it in a high ponytail with an ouchless band once my twistouts got old. I think maybe it was because i got under the dryer at the salon with the twists( which were done to the scalp). Maybe the dryer dried my hair out,causing it to break. I see healthy twistouts on youtube alot, but they usually air dry. I am so depressed, now i feel like i have to start all over. It seems like getting it flat ironed once a week would have did damage, but it didnt. :sad:

How can you be sure about that? The damage could have been progressive, adding up over time. I dunno if heat is the only culprit, but I'm sure it didn't help. I just don't see how getting flat ironed every week could not have some effect on your hair. I'm sorry you're experiencing breakage. You may need to reevaluate your regimen/hair practices.

I think we all go through rough periods with our hair. I say hang in there and try a low manipulation for a couple of months.

Where exactly is the breakage?

I can see little pieces sticking up mid strand. The breakage is like the strand broke in half, not close to the scalp. The stylist used gel and mouse when she twisted it to the scalp. At home i used Qhemet Biologics and Oyin products and jojoba,almond,and several oils to seal in moisture. Yeah before i didnt have any breakage, it appears noticibly thinner. I'll try to post a comparison pic later. The ouchless band was kinda tight. I always moistured and oiled before i put it on.

A) Get into the habit of being a DIYer when it comes to hair.

No one will give your hair the tender loving care and patience like you will. Use the gift of youtube and learn to do your own presses and twist-outs.

B) For our hair type, flat ironing once a week will catch up to you eventually.

You said you've been doing your weekly presses with no damage but how can you tell? Have you tracked your retention monthly? Have you been hitting length milestones?

Trust, I love my occasional presses and will always do em, but you have to do it in moderation and do it taking all the precautions and then some. At the very least, you should space them out to every 2 weeks (even thats pushing it) and you have to be doing religious DC's if you're using that much heat.

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this set-backs are the absolute worst. I hope you learn everything you can from this situation so you can reach all your length goals smoothly.

Did the stylist thoroughly apply a heat protectant to your hair before blowdrying and flat ironing your hair, and before putting you under the dryer with twists?

((HUG))
Hang in there!
Perhaps you can increase your moisturizing DCs and include some protein, if you haven't already.

IA, the frequent heat may not have been beneficial for your hair.

Don't be depressed instead heed the wise advice above. We all have setbacks but you can come back from this. :yep:

I can see little pieces sticking up mid strand. The breakage is like the strand broke in half, not close to the scalp. The stylist used gel and mouse when she twisted it to the scalp. At home i used Qhemet Biologics and Oyin products and jojoba,almond,and several oils to seal in moisture. Yeah before i didnt have any breakage, it appears noticibly thinner. I'll try to post a comparison pic later. The ouchless band was kinda tight. I always moistured and oiled before i put it on.

That sounds like a heat-related issue. I agree with the other posters. I think the frequent heat usage may have caught up with you.

I'm sorry this happened to you. Please keep us posted.

IDK.....twists usually don't break your hair in that way unless you are snatching them apart! What may have happened with the constant heat damage is very very small splits, that finally have caught up with you. You should lay off the heat and wear protective styles.....all the split ends will eventually have to be cut down the line....just because your hair reverts doesn't mean it's not weakening over time....that kind of heat once a week will eventually break down the strongest strands.......so sorry !!! Every1 has set backs...if you do have to trim it all down....use it as your COMEBACK!

aww..my flatiron is my bff! HOWEVER sometimes u just gotta stick with something simple..like your twists. On the boards they always say flatiron OR blowdry but it's not good to do both and u should definitely use a heat protectant in either case. Double heat + 100+ degree weather = trouble. Hasn't also been humid?? The breakage could be due to parched hair.

At any rate...hair grows & your siggy style is purrty. I'm sure ur hair will be thick and lovely in no time! (just keep it moisturized)

IDK.....twists usually don't break your hair in that way unless you are snatching them apart! What may have happened with the constant heat damage is very very small splits, that finally have caught up with you. You should lay off the heat and wear protective styles.....all the split ends will eventually have to be cut down the line....just because your hair reverts doesn't mean it's not weakening over time....that kind of heat once a week will eventually break down the strongest strands.......so sorry !!! Every1 has set backs...if you do have to trim it all down....use it as your COMEBACK!

[/COLOR][/B]

The underlined text bears repeating. The hair not reverting is just the worst possible outcome.

The underlined text bears repeating. The hair not reverting is just the worst possible outcome.

^^ I agree..with pretty much everyyhing that's been said so far. I'm a frequent heat user (yes, i've been willing to take the risk too) and I was a heat using natural (like some other posters) until I was 13. Probably the reason I was willing to take the risk. Anyhow..been using heat this time around since I started transitioning in 08'. Only recently (after trying aphogee/the hard-stinky one) found out I wssn't giving my hair enough protein replacement from using the heat. Well, my hair is now retaing length and moisture much better. And I do dc religously..every week.2+ hours and more. Which sometimes I don't have time for so I just co-wash and bun or something. I'll just say that this hair thing really is a journey..take the good with the bad. Like was said now you know NOT to do things that way again. Goodluck.

Back