Naturals, I want a little color

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I won't color or streak my whole head, but I really want a little bit of pop of color in the front. Will me putting some red highlights in the front (only on a few sections) ruin my hair? What is the gentlest perm color you work with?

I was thinking the same thing some months ago but chickened out. :lol: I want a light brown/bronzey color in the front. But I've never dyed my hair before. I might let my stylist do it later this year. I was told here and on another board that Textures and Tones is a good brand and it's moisturizing. I have yet to open the box up on my dresser though. Oh yeah my stylist told me that if you're natural it's less of a threat to your hair since it's not a double process (relaxer + color). You'll be alright as long as you keep it moisturized.

bmoreflyygirl said:
I was thinking the same thing some months ago but chickened out. :lol: I want a light brown/bronzey color in the front. But I've never dyed my hair before. I might let my stylist do it later this year. I was told here and on another board that Textures and Tones is a good brand and it's moisturizing. I have yet to open the box up on my dresser though.

I'm about your skin tone. How much to you think the bronzey tone will show up on your skin color? Is it better to let the stylist do it? I just want a few streaks and didn't think that it was worth the trip...

kinchen said:
try henna i need to again my gray's are popping back out

I thought about henna but it seems to be too much effort and you have to do it multiple times to finally see the color. Is this true?

*Bre~Bre* said:
I'm about your skin tone. How much to you think the bronzey tone will show up on your skin color? Is it better to let the stylist do it? I just want a few streaks and didn't think that it was worth the trip...

It'll show up. Whenever I wear light colored weave I get the most compliments because people say it goes with my complexion. Even my dad said that and he never comments on my hair. :lol: As long as it's not too light you'll be good. Personally, I think everything comes out better when you go to the salon. Doesn't matter what it is. Yeah I do my own hair most of the time but it never compares to salon hair for me. I've always been a salon person. And my stylist specializes in color so that's why I was gonna let him do it. I wouldn't let just any random stylist do it.

If you want intricate highlighting, I'd say go to the salon. But if it's just a few big ones or all over color or a patch in the front you should be able to do it yourself. Or maybe get a friend to help. Have you ever dyed your own hair before? I'm too chicken to do it myself. I never even relaxed my own hair before when I was a permie.

bmoreflyygirl said:
It'll show up. Whenever I wear light colored weave I get the most compliments because people say it goes with my complexion. Even my dad said that and he never comments on my hair. :lol: As long as it's not too light you'll be good. Personally, I think everything comes out better when you go to the salon. Doesn't matter what it is. Yeah I do my own hair most of the time but it never compares to salon hair for me. I've always been a salon person. And my stylist specializes in color so that's why I was gonna let him do it. I wouldn't let just any random stylist do it.

If you want intricate highlighting, I'd say go to the salon. But if it's just a few big ones or all over color or a patch in the front you should be able to do it yourself. Or maybe get a friend to help. Have you ever dyed your own hair before? I'm too chicken to do it myself. I never even relaxed my own hair before when I was a permie.

Yeah I don't want anything intricate. Just a little pop of color in the front. Oh snap, does my hair need to be straightened to do this??? Um, yeah I've color before and lost 2 baggies sized amounts of hair. This was because I permed a week before. So, since I'm obviously chemical free I am ready for a little summer fun. I think I will go today and get some color. I may try that bronzy color since red is something I always do with my cellophanes.

*Bre~Bre* said:
Yeah I don't want anything intricate. Just a little pop of color in the front. Oh snap, does my hair need to be straightened to do this??? Um, yeah I've color before and lost 2 baggies sized amounts of hair. This was because I permed a week before. So, since I'm obviously chemical free I am ready for a little summer fun. I think I will go today and get some color. I may try that bronzy color since red is something I always do with my cellophanes.

Nah you can do it without straightening your hair. Just keep it moisturized and you should be good. Are you just gonna do the front? Let me know how it turns out. :) Then maybe I'll crack open that box of dye upstairs. I was thinking about using it to color some weave bc I didn't want it to go to waste. :lol:

bmoreflyygirl said:
Nah you can do it without straightening your hair. Just keep it moisturized and you should be good. Are you just gonna do the front? Let me know how it turns out. :) Then maybe I'll crack open that box of dye upstairs. I was thinking about using it to color some weave bc I didn't want it to go to waste. :lol:

Yes, it will just be the front. Don't they sell something in the grocery store/drug stores/walgreens, etc that is supposed to be super gentle, it has like a baby chicken on the front, something natural?

*Bre~Bre* said:
Yes, it will just be the front. Don't they sell something in the grocery store/drug stores/walgreens, etc that is supposed to be super gentle, it has like a baby chicken on the front, something natural?

What? :lol: A baby chicken? :lol: I don't think any color is natural except henna. Check your BSS or like CVS or something. They all should sell hair dye. I know the grocery store here only has like certain brands. None that I would use I don't think.

bmoreflyygirl said:
What? :lol: A baby chicken? :lol: I don't think any color is natural except henna. Check your BSS or like CVS or something. They all should sell hair dye. I know the grocery store here only has like certain brands. None that I would use I don't think.

:lol: :lol: LOL Stop laughing at me :lol: :lol: I'll hit you back this evening after I do what I do ( if i do it) :lol:

I get color and I get it professionally done. I don't play around when it comes to chemicals plus I have a level of recourse if the certified professional messes up. Go to a professional that understands natural hair and can color it with a good eye.

I would not use over the counter permanent color kits. They tend to be drying.

*Bre~Bre* said:
I won't color or streak my whole head, but I really want a little bit of pop of color in the front. Will me putting some red highlights in the front (only on a few sections) ruin my hair? What is the gentlest perm color you work with?

CurleeDST said:
I get color and I get it professionally done. I don't play around when it comes to chemicals plus I have a level of recourse if the certified professional messes up. Go to a professional that understands natural hair and can color it with a good eye.

I would not use over the counter permanent color kits. They tend to be drying.

This is what I'm afraid of...

Everytime I get my highlights I always get compliments b/c he paints it on in a way that really accentuates my curl pattern and makes it pop! Check out my fotki and eventhough my hair is shorter now and I suck at photographing my own hair you can still get an idea. The biggest thing is permanent color WILL straighten your natural kink and curl if you are not careful which is why you should let a professional do it.

*Bre~Bre* said:

Oh let me add - my colorist charged me $120 and my hair was only about 4 inches long BUT I say I felt good about it b/c I like the work he did and there is NO WAY I would jerk around with my natural hair just to save a few bucks. I believe in paying the money to mitigate damage to the natural curl and maximize the highlights. A true professional can place the highlights in a way that would optimize your hairstyle, face shape and complexion.

CurleeDST said:
Oh let me add - my colorist charged me $120 and my hair was only about 4 inches long BUT I say I felt good about it b/c I like the work he did and there is NO WAY I would jerk around with my natural hair just to save a few bucks. I believe in paying the money to mitigate damage to the natural curl and maximize the highlights. A true professional can place the highlights in a way that would optimize your hairstyle, face shape and complexion.

Your hair is so pretty. Are textures are very similar :) You are making me rethink the color period because I don't have money to go to a salon and I don't want to screw something up at home...

When I was relaxed, I used quite a few Texture & Tones hair color. I really like that brand. My favorite color was Cherrywood.

I also like Optimum's brand of permanent hair color (comes in a tube). I've used it twice. The first time was in Light Red Brown and the 2nd time I used it was in Natural Black.

Here are a couple of pics of my relaxed hair (early 2006) when I dyed it Light Red Brown. Keep in mind that I was trying to cover up a bad dye job from being blonde. The Blonde was a mistake, and needless to say, I recolored my hair within 24 hours.

RedLobster004-vi.jpg

RedLobster005-vi.jpg

RedLobster006-vi.jpg

I really like this color, and if I were to ever permanently color my hair again I would probably go back to this Optimum Light Red Brown color or Texture & Tones Cherrywood.

TSUprincess04 said:
When I was relaxed, I used quite a few Texture & Tones hair color. I really like that brand. My favorite color was Cherrywood.

I also like Optimum's brand of permanent hair color (comes in a tube). I've used it twice. The first time was in Light Red Brown and the 2nd time I used it was in Natural Black.

Here are a couple of pics of my relaxed hair (early 2006) when I dyed it Light Red Brown. Keep in mind that I was trying to cover up a bad dye job from being blonde. The Blonde was a mistake, and needless to say, I recolored my hair within 24 hours.

RedLobster004-vi.jpg

RedLobster005-vi.jpg

RedLobster006-vi.jpg
I am surprised you didnt go bald :eek: Were you scared to recolor so soon? Your hair looked soooo pretty!!!!! I love that color on you and for some reason the blond made it look better (did that make sense?). Maybe because it gave it the look of highlights in some places. Did you color yourself?

*Bre~Bre* said:
I am surprised you didnt go bald :eek: Were you scared to recolor so soon? Your hair looked soooo pretty!!!!! I love that color on you and for some reason the blond made it look better (did that make sense?). Maybe because it gave it the look of highlights in some places. Did you color yourself?

lol, girl I was surprised I didn't go bald also! When I got to college my freshman year, I permanently colored my hair soooo many times, not realizing that it was damaging. Everytime I wanted something different, I headed to the BSS. During my first 2.5 years of college, I permanently colored my hair about 5-6 times :eek:.

I kinda think that the blonde helped that color to look better too. Since my hair was so light colored before I applied the Light Red Brown, it showed up better than if I were to apply it on jet black hair.

And yep, I colored it myself.

Bre have u done a search on here yet? I know there are other naturals here who color and have done it themselves. I got some good responses when I posed the same question a few months back.

bmoreflyygirl said:
Bre have u done a search on here yet? I know there are other naturals here who color and have done it themselves. I got some good responses when I posed the same question a few months back.

You know good and d_mn well I ain't done no search :spank: :lol: Let me do that now and stop being a lazy *****!

TSUprincess04 said:

RedLobster004-vi.jpg

I really like this color, and if I were to ever permanently color my hair again I would probably go back to this Optimum Light Red Brown color or Texture & Tones Cherrywood.

Cute color!! :up: My cousin is your complexion and wears her hair about this color but she does it with bleach and a rinse.

What brand and color did you use here?? It would surely be healthier for her than bleach.

Bre, this is my input. Of all the colors, red is the hardest to keep in your hair. Meaning it washes out the fastest. In order to get the red to show up, they will probably have to bleach it first, so it might take some upkeep to keep the highlights looking fresh and red.

Henna is different because it really is permanent, especially the more treatments you do. I've been using henna for about 4 years now and the whole length has taken on a red tone, especially in the sun. It didn't take 4 years to get that way, but probably a few treatments.

Another thing to look out for is the loosening of your curl pattern. I had some blonde highlights put in years ago and the pieces that were highlighted weren't as curly as the rest anymore. Bleach acts like a texturizer so watch out for that. I would probably go to a professional like Curlee said, but I have had some "professionals" who messed up my hair BAD so be careful. The time that I really liked my highlights, I went to a professional colorist, someone who ONLY does color, so she was really good. She was in Arizona though, or I just might go back.

Henna can loosen your curl pattern too, but only temporarily. I haven't seen a permanent loosening of my curls in all the years I've been using it, it only lasts for a few washes. AND it's actually good for your hair. My vote is for henna!

Anyhoo, that is my input. Not to scare you but just trying to help you make the best, most informed decision :Rose:

KittenLongPaw said:
Bre, this is my input. Of all the colors, red is the hardest to keep in your hair. Meaning it washes out the fastest. In order to get the red to show up, they will probably have to bleach it first, so it might take some upkeep to keep the highlights looking fresh and red.

Henna is different because it really is permanent, especially the more treatments you do. I've been using henna for about 4 years now and the whole length has taken on a red tone, especially in the sun. It didn't take 4 years to get that way, but probably a few treatments.

Another thing to look out for is the loosening of your curl pattern. I had some blonde highlights put in years ago and the pieces that were highlighted weren't as curly as the rest anymore. Bleach acts like a texturizer so watch out for that. I would probably go to a professional like Curlee said, but I have had some "professionals" who messed up my hair BAD so be careful. The time that I really liked my highlights, I went to a professional colorist, someone who ONLY does color, so she was really good. She was in Arizona though, or I just might go back.

Henna can loosen your curl pattern too, but only temporarily. I haven't seen a permanent loosening of my curls in all the years I've been using it, it only lasts for a few washes. AND it's actually good for your hair. My vote is for henna!

Anyhoo, that is my input. Not to scare you but just trying to help you make the best, most informed decision :Rose:

Thank you for the input! Your hair is lovely by the way. Now, in your opinion what is the easiest route to go with the whole henna thing?

Thanks Bre! Your little girl is so cute, you guys look like twins :)

I buy my henna from www.hennaforhair.com With henna, it's important to get it really fresh and with nothing added, so I don't buy from the store because you can't be sure of how long it's been sitting there. Make sure you do a strand test first (try the henna out on some shed hair) to make sure you like the results.

I mix my henna up with warm water mixed with a little vinegar until it is like the consistency of pudding, cover it and put it in a warm place for a few hours until it releases dye. Basically, the henna will look green when you first mix it up, but after dye release, it will have a layer of dye of the top that is red in color. Stir the dye back in, and apply it to dry (or wet) hair, wrap it up in plastic bags, put on my heat cap and hang out for a few hours, rinse really well (then rinse and rinse some more). Then, when you think you have rinsed it all out, rinse some more :) Then I deep condition.

If your hair feels dry afterward, it's probably because you didn't rinse it all out.

Lately, I just do the roots like every month or two, but another reason I like henna is because if I decided to stop doing it tomorrow, it's not really that much different from my natural hair color and you couldn't really tell.

Henna is more effort that traditional hair color, but I think it's worth it because it makes my better. It's like a conditioning/strengthening treatment. Since my goal is to take excellent care of my hair and keep growing, I'm willing to put a little extra work in to keep it nice :)

If you have anymore questions, let me know :)

I colored my hair this past wednesday with natural instincts semi perm color. It's doesn't give a pop but it is slightly noticeable. I wanted to add more depth to my natural dark brown/black color and I used roasted chestnut which is a dark warm brown. I like it cause it made my hair shiny and darker. In the sun I can see the redness a bit. It did not dry out my hair really. I used a deep conditioner right afterwards. I would use it again.

KittenLongPaw said:
Thanks Bre! Your little girl is so cute, you guys look like twins :)

I buy my henna from www.hennaforhair.com With henna, it's important to get it really fresh and with nothing added, so I don't buy from the store because you can't be sure of how long it's been sitting there. Make sure you do a strand test first (try the henna out on some shed hair) to make sure you like the results.

I mix my henna up with warm water mixed with a little vinegar until it is like the consistency of pudding, cover it and put it in a warm place for a few hours until it releases dye. Basically, the henna will look green when you first mix it up, but after dye release, it will have a layer of dye of the top that is red in color. Stir the dye back in, and apply it to dry (or wet) hair, wrap it up in plastic bags, put on my heat cap and hang out for a few hours, rinse really well (then rinse and rinse some more). Then, when you think you have rinsed it all out, rinse some more :) Then I deep condition.

If your hair feels dry afterward, it's probably because you didn't rinse it all out.

Lately, I just do the roots like every month or two, but another reason I like henna is because if I decided to stop doing it tomorrow, it's not really that much different from my natural hair color and you couldn't really tell.

Henna is more effort that traditional hair color, but I think it's worth it because it makes my better. It's like a conditioning/strengthening treatment. Since my goal is to take excellent care of my hair and keep growing, I'm willing to put a little extra work in to keep it nice :)

If you have anymore questions, let me know :)

Now your process doesn't sound too complex! Hmmm, you have really got me thinking about this. I can totally see the henna in your hair and it looks pretty. :) I am going to check out the site then maybe pm you with some questions. I don't think I will be coloring afterall. Why streak in a few places when I may be able to get all over color that won't harm my hair?

ETA: thanks for the compliment. I didn't see a resemblence in her for a looooong time. I can kind of see it now ;)

Whatever you do try to acieve this color without lifting your natural color too much. I love color- it does so much for the face/complexion. I nearly ruined my hair with my own custom color job...I will color again but with more knowledge- I WILL have better healthier results.

Do a search on: for colored girls-there was so much great info in that. Helped me nurse my hair back to great lengths and health.

Back