Naturals, I need combing tips....

Amina

I am 4a/b. I notice that when I comb my hair while wet it looks neat but when it dries it is back to "corkscrew" curls again and doesn't even look as if I did anything to it. What am I doing wrong?

You arent doing anything wrong. Thats the nature of the hair. Try brushing it while wet with a little conditioner left on it. I suggest using a denman brush. That may help.

naturallady said:
You arent doing anything wrong. Thats the nature of the hair. Try brushing it while wet with a little conditioner left on it. I suggest using a denman brush. That may help.
ITA,

Also, a little gel and a scarf will smooth things out a bit.... :yep:

Comb? What's that? :huh:

Seriously though, I say let your natural hair do what it does naturally. Don't try to force it to do something that it doesn't want to. That's where you get into problems. You're not doing anything wrong. Just love it for what it is and how it reacts. ;)

Super_Hero_Girl said:

Seriously though, I say let your natural hair do what it does naturally. Don't try to force it to do something that it doesn't want to. That's where you get into problems. You're not doing anything wrong. Just love it for what it is and how it reacts. ;)

You don't use a comb?

Amina said:
You don't use a comb?

Nope, not really. I detangle with my fingers in the shower with conditoner in when needed. When styling, I never use a comb either. I sometimes brush my hair back when wearing a puff, but mostly I smooth it back with my hands. I used to use a comb to part my hair for box braids or twist, but now I just use a hair stick (those decorative Chinese hairsticks). Other styles do not require it, like shrunken fro's, braidouts, streched fros, and such. I think combing is over-rated and choose not to do it. :)

Super_Hero_Girl said:
Nope, not really. I detangle with my fingers in the shower with conditoner in when needed. When styling, I never use a comb either. I sometimes brush my hair back when wearing a puff, but mostly I smooth it back with my hands. I used to use a comb to part my hair for box braids or twist, but now I just use a hair stick (those decorative Chinese hairsticks). Other styles do not require it, like shrunken fro's, braidouts, streched fros, and such. I think combing is over-rated and choose not to do it. :)

Never thought about it that way.:cool:

I usually comb my hair in sections and then braid it. After it dries, I take out the braids, I apply a moisturizer and then put a scarf on which lays it down. HTH Q

I don't comb either. Never combed much as a relaxed head, stopped using a comb during my transition, and don't use a comb as a natural head. Every now and again I use one to start/make a part.

I use my fingers and a Denman brush to detangle. I mostly wear wash and gos, shrunken fros and afro puffs, so there's really no need to use a comb.

Yep, that's just hair. It's natural for it to want to curl and unless you're doing something to prohibit that, it's going to try it's best to curl in its natural state. You can manipulate the curls but just combing it won't do much.

I use Hair Butter and a scarf. BTW, I'm glad I'm not the only one who shies away from the comb. :D Although, I've never thought about not using one. Interesting.

Super_Hero_Girl said:

ITA! I bet your natural corkscrew curls are lovely.

Another no-comber here :)
Just take a deep breath. Your hair is doing what it should do - going back to those pretty corkscrews. With natural hair you will never have hair that you can run your fingers through, they will inevitably get stuck! LOL.
I use my fingers to detangle about 1-2 times a week when I'm washing my hair. As soon as it dries I don't even think about the tangles. They are there but they are not seen.

Try banding your hair.

After you comb/detangle your wet hair, put it in sections and wrap hair ties around each section, all the way to the ends of the hair in the section. It's called banding and I would never be able to style my hair after it dried it I didn't do this. The shrinkage would make it a nightmare to style.

netta, i love that pic! your braids are nice!!

i never thought about not using a comb, i don't think i can do it cuz i like to do twists. i really only comb when i style my hair which is once every 1-2 weeks.

jasmine26 said:
netta, i love that pic! your braids are nice!!

i never thought about not using a comb, i don't think i can do it cuz i like to do twists. i really only comb when i style my hair which is once every 1-2 weeks.

Thanks, they are twist extensions.

Netta1

I use a denman brush for detangling now. Naturals really don't need combs. it is so overated. I don't even use a comb when twisting. I brush my hair with the conditioner and it looks so nice and long. Shrinkage occurs and my hair just shrinks back up.

Back