Naturals: I Have Questions Re: Ur Twists...

Peachtree

I'm gonna attempt to twist my hair in "singles" tonight.

Questions:

1) Do u get better results twisting "wet hair" or "dry hair"?

2) How do u keep ur twists from "loosening" at the root?

3) How do u keep ur twists from "unraveling" from the ends?

4) Do u use any special product to "hold" ur twists in place? If so, please let a sista' know /images/graemlins/poke.gif

I'm planning to wear twists most of this winter... but first I need to learn the "basics", u know?!?!

Thanks ladies /images/graemlins/Rose.gif

Peachtree /images/graemlins/cool.gif

i think i can only answer like two questions.

my twists come out waaaaaaay better on dry hair. I dont have any problem with the ends unraveling because they curl up. they only seem to unravel if i try to twist on wet hair or after theyve been in for a week.

before i twist my hair i spray a little bit of pantene r&n setting lotion with a small amount of mango butter on each section im about to twist...and it stays together.

i heard a alot of beople braid the base of their roots, and then twist the rest of the way down. my hair isnt long enuff to do this as of yet w/o weave /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ITA with twisting on dry hair. Wet hair makes my twists look like I have no hair, and I have to use a holding product to get them to stay. On dry hair, stretched hair, I can use nothing, and just add product to the ends. They look longer too.

yeah the wet hair is too slippery to work with and until your hair dries they look really droopy and thin

they look equally good but the dry ones have less shrinkage
the unravel a bit but not much
i thist a certian amount then apply mango butter and twist in 1 piece instead of two sometimes other times it just stays on its own
4) Do u use any special product to "hold" ur twists in place? If so, please let a sista' know
elasta qp works well so does pomade

twisting my hair right now...lol
i am doing it on freshly washed..still wet hair. the only thing i did was apply shea butter.

my hair unravels regardless..twists done on dry hair..twists done on wet hair..MINI braids..whatever..they unravel.
(i have close to 5 inches of hair and right now..my wet twists look like lil coils all over)

I prefer to twist my hair when dry. I still haven't figured out how to prevent my twists from loosening at the root - sometimes I start off with a braid but I don't like how that looks sometimes. My twists usually unravel a bit at the ends, but it ends up curling so it they never unravel all the way to the root. Currently I use ORS Lock and Twist gel for my twists.

pics of twists started on dry hair...
newstuff050-th.jpg
newstuff056-th.jpg

on wet hair...
challenge005-th.jpg
challenge016-th.jpg

I do both. Dry twist give a slightly lenghtier look, while wet twists give a more shrunken look. 90% of the time i twist wet or damp.

mine usually hold on their own. Ive seen some people in their albums use metal clips to hold down the roots till the hair dries. Other people start by braiding the first inch, and then twisting the remaining hair till the ends.

when i get to the last inch of the twist i coil the end around my finger.

4) Do u use any special product to "hold" ur twists in place? If so, please let a sista' know
Usually I use one of my hair butters, but some people prefer to use a gel to help their twists hold.

- I twist on dry (or slighly damp) hair for a more plumper/fuller look. Somtimes I twist on wet hair, but it's only if I'm going to wear them in a updo.

- I can't really answer this question because I've never had that problem. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

- My ends curl up on their own, so I can't really answer this question either... /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

- No, I do apply mango butter or some type of creamy moiturizer to my entire head before twisting for moisture and shine, but not hold. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hi Peachtree,

I haven't put my hair in twists in a long time, but I can answer based on what I used to do. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I like both results. Even when I twist dry, I wash my hair within 2 days so it shrinks anyway.

I've never tried braiding at the roots. What I do is kinda take each section and "spin" or "twirl" each section as I twist the two sections around each other.

My ends curl around each other (except the very back which unravels no matter what I do).

4) Do u use any special product to "hold" ur twists in place?

No - but I used to like using Carol's Daughter HHB or MM to smooth down my hair's frizziness as I twist.

As the Queen of twists, here are my answers

1) Damp hair

2) Not a problem for me

3) Not a problem for me. Try twisting to the very end.

4) Not really. I just oil my hair with my special blend.

Hey Ladies!! Ok here goes...
1. Do I get better results on wet or dry hair?
It depends on the results I am looking for, if its for length its best to do it on dry, stretched out hair. If I want the twists to stay in 2 weeks and have a great twistout I do it wet.

2. How do you keep your twists from loosening at the root?
I have never had that problem, but I do keep my twists firmly between my fingers before I let them go.

3 and 4 I can answer together. As far as unraveling, I have never had that problem because I always use something for hold, such as fantasia gel or bbd glass or salon selectives molding putty, which also works to give a great twistout. Of course I use something for moisture like mango butter or my own leave in that I mix with evoo. When I get to the end of a twist I take the end (I may or may not add a holding product to the end)and I twist it around my finger, until it makes a s shape on the end. It drys in that position and stays until I unravel them myself. Also, watch your proportion, if the twist is larger on one side than the other or if the twist is extremely large, you may have problems with unraveling on the end.

Let me know if I can help any more. Good luck on your next set of twists!!!

I usually do it with dry/slightly damp hair to show more length.

I braid it a bit at the start of the twist.

They usually don't unravel, but if they do I just redo them.

4) Do u use any special product to "hold" ur twists in place? If so, please let a sista' know /images/graemlins/poke.gif
No special products.

I'm using twists to get me through the winter too /images/graemlins/smile.gif

1) Do u get better results twisting "wet hair" or "dry hair"? I do them with slightly damp hair, and I like the result. I have done them on dry hair, and other than more length, the result is the same.

Maybe my hair is just super kinky, but this isn't a problem at all for me. I twist from root to tip, and it just stays.

Same as above; they just stay put. Maybe the dampness helps. Even when I do them dry, I use a lot of leave-in so the hair ends up damp even then.

4) Do u use any special product to "hold" ur twists in place? The only products I use are leave-in and oils--nothing special.

Twisting with dry hair gives less shrinkage. However, I rinse my twists so it doesn't really matter which one I do.

I don't have this problem.

I honestly don't do anything. I can rinse my twists weekly and my twists will last for a month without unraveling problems.

I was and it was taking me 3 hours to twist my hair. But then I started thinking, "maybe i don't need a holding product!" So I just twisted my hair without any product and I cut my twisting time to 2 hours! My twists have been in for almost three weeks and they've been holding well.

-Ebony

WOW, THANKS LADIES /images/graemlins/kiss.gif

I didn't get around to twisting my hair last night, but hopefully I'll do it soon /images/graemlins/cool.gif

dry, strethed hair for sure. it's easier to work with for me

It doesn't bother me so I don't do anything.

a heavier product like a butter or cream. Right now it's Profective Megagrowth. I also pinch and twirl the ends to create a tight curl that holds my twists together.

4) Do u use any special product to "hold" ur twists in place?

I don't use product on the actual twist, only on the ends.

Ok ladies, I finally did my first natural twists /images/graemlins/Rose.gif
This is such a milestone for me...

Here's what I did...
My last CW was Thursday evening, so my hair was plenty dry to begin with.

1) I misted with my moisturizing spray (I like to play around with the ingredients... but this time it contains....distilled water mixed Pantene S&S, Hot 6 Oil, Coconut Oil, a few drops of Rosemary oil).

2) I twisted from root to ends. So far, the hair hasn't "loosened" at the roots... I'll see what happens tomorrow!

3) At the bare ends, I just sorta gently "rolled" the ends between my fingers. Again, no loosening so far...

Please excuse my parts... I'm really "challenged" in that area of styling!
I started out not worrying about straight parts... I just wanted to twist the hair & take it down Monday, to sport a twist out puff. But if the hair holds up pretty well, I may just keep the twists in for a few days longer...(prolly in a ponytail).

I used fairly big sections of hair in the front... slightly smaller sections in the back... I'm lazy y'all! I did not wanna be twisting for hours /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif ... then having to take it all back down on Monday... Next time, I think that I'll use smaller, much neater sections. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be... maybe cuz I only have a handfull of hair /images/graemlins/grin.gif

OK, well, I'm waiting for the pics to upload to my album now. For some reason Fotki is going mighty sllllllow tonight /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Unlike the other ladies here, I have to twist on wet hair. After about some rough nights of sleep (about 3 nights), my twists begin to unravel at the roots, particularly in the front. I don't have a problem with my twists unraveling at the ends anymore,but when I first chopped, I still had permed ends, so I purchased some really small perm rods for the ends ( see my album). On top of all of that, my twists stay together with just some moisturizer. HTH

I've done the wet and dry twists. I recommend spraying S-Curl activator on dry hair, then smoothing curl serum on after and then twisting. Your hair will be soft, hold the twist, and give you the most beautiful twist out

Thanks ShortyDooWhop!

I totally forgot to use my S-Curl /images/graemlins/hammer.gif . I will next time cuz I know that will give me a really good twist out! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

No prob. Peachtree,
Good luck. I know you will love the results. Be careful, it may trigger hand in hair syndrome /images/graemlins/rofl.gif /images/graemlins/rofl.gif /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I only do my hair when wet. The products I currently use to twist are Pantene frizz control (leave-in/detangler) and olive oil. I don't have a problem with unraveling. Loosening will happen after a few days, but I don't worry about it.

Glad your twists turned out well, Peachtree!!

Thanks Maestradiva!

Wow, how did I miss that product /images/graemlins/confused.gif "Pantene Frizz Control"... interesting /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif ... I gotta look for it on my next shopping trip!

Back