Naturals: I have a trimming question

What is the best way for a natural to trim their hair?

• Twist and clip

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Roller set/silk wrap it then trim

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Other (please specify in detail)

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chameleonchick

I need to trim my hair before I put my next set of braids in. Is it easier to do twists and trim off of that or to do a rollerset/silk wrap? I really do not want to do a flat iron to trim my hair, but I will if it is the best way.

If any of the choices I have is not what you do please tell me in detail what you do when you do your trims.
icon7.gif

what i do is twists. then trim the ends of them. i find it easier and faster . its just that you should be careful not trimming the same twist over again.

i tell the difference between trimmed ends and my untrimmed.

or use a hairband to help attach the parts to be done.

I used to go to stylists once a yr for trims but I'm officially done with that now....they get wayyy too excited with those scissors around me :rolleyes:

So now, I press my hair, take chunks of my hair, do search and destroys about every month and its been working out great for me.

Now that I have my mini twists in, I can actually do S&D's this way as well. So my plan is to continue like this for years....then a few years down the line if I feel my hair is really choppy looking I may even it out a bit myself.

For those who are natural (thick coily 4/b) who may flat iron hair occassionaly. do you find that trimming ends regularly helps with combating frizzy ends when straightening?

what i do is twists. then trim the ends of them. i find it easier and faster . its just that you should be careful not trimming the same twist over again.

i tell the difference between trimmed ends and my untrimmed.

or use a hairband to help attach the parts to be done.

When you twist your hair do you do it on dry hair?

I used to go to stylists once a yr for trims but I'm officially done with that now....they get wayyy too excited with those scissors around me :rolleyes:

So now, I press my hair, take chunks of my hair, do search and destroys about every month and its been working out great for me.

Now that I have my mini twists in, I can actually do S&D's this way as well. So my plan is to continue like this for years....then a few years down the line if I feel my hair is really choppy looking I may even it out a bit myself.

Okay so when you do search and destroys are you just looking for split ends?

I only trimmed my ends once since my bc back in Sept 09 and I twisted my hair, let it air dry, then clipped. This method worked for me because I don't wear my hair straight, if I did then I'd straighten it first to make sure its even.

I actually trimmed my hair last month but I didn't do a very good job (horrible flatironing job which led to a horrible trimming) so I went to get a dominican blowout and a corrective trim. In total I had 2 inches taken off but I won't trim until later this year.
I think it depends what style you wear most if the hair is worn in natural state majority of the time twist and snip off will work but if the hair is worn straight most of the time then the hair should be straighten then trimmed.

For those who are natural (thick coily 4/b) who may flat iron hair occassionaly. do you find that trimming ends regularly helps with combating frizzy ends when straightening?

I used to trim every time I flat ironed (3-6 times a year) because my ends would look frizzy, but since I've began to deep condition my hair weekly with silk elements mega silk moisturizing treatment (even when I am not straightening), I haven't had to trim my hair after straightening.

Back