NATURALS: How/what do you use to combat the frizz?

Southern Belle

Hey Natural Divas (particularly 4A -4B) !!! :grin:

How do you guys get rid of the "frizzy" look? I'd like more coils, and less frizz. Not really sure what I'm doing wrong... :ohwell:

What's your technique? Products? Thanks!!!

FYI, I'm in box braids right now, but looking to take them down in another 2 weeks or so.

I DO NOT towel dry. Occasionally I will pat my hair with a cotton t shirt to remove excess water. That helps with the frizz a lot.

After a wash n go I shake my hair for the curls to pop but I never touch the hair. I found when I touch it that's where it gets frizzy.

When my twa was smaller i cared more for coils now im liking the not so defined looks but like others have said after you rake the product throughout your hair you cannot touch it. Now that my hair is longer i can shake it and that makes a difference, im almost certain that you have to be comfortable with some frizz, (for me at least) also the denman brush does not help clump my hair; it actually separates the parts that naturally clump and makes them frizzy.
All i can say is you have to find a happy medium

Good Luck

I have been having this concern recently as well. I am 10 months post and usually flat twist my hair at night into about 7-9 twist and fluff in the morning. The two main products I use are a whipped shea butter cream that I make and a moisturizer spray of veggie glycerin & aloe vera juice. Lately, I've tried incorporating Oyin Shine and Define to combat the frizzies and Kinky Curly Curling Custard, I have to say that BOTH of these products define my twist out and cut down on the frizz significantly!! I think it's worth a try.

Note: I have also tried Black Onyx's Shine Crave Hair Glosser. In my opinion it is basically coconut oil. Oils just sit on my dry hair so it was no good for me.

My hair is 4b coily.

The three products i like best for curl definition are care free curl gold activator, hawaiian silky cream moisturizer curl activator, and Samy "Get Curls" gel... When i was wearing wash n go's these all worked great to make my coils clump together :yep:

I have been wondering this too. I have type 4 coarse type hair, very frizzy and not easy to lay down.
What has worked so far is my moisture treatment of honey, evoo and acv, my frizz is like 80% less after this treatment but I can only be bothered to do this once a week.
I'd love if a cream or leave in could have the same effect.
Great thread!

I have been wondering this too. I have type 4 coarse type hair, very frizzy and not easy to lay down.
What has worked so far is my moisture treatment of honey, evoo and acv, my frizz is like 80% less after this treatment but I can only be bothered to do this once a week.
I'd love if a cream or leave in could have the same effect.
Great thread!

Tell me more about this :grin:...

I gotta say, for my braid n' curls...when I don't use enough lottabody, my hair gets frizzy by the end of the week. But when I use enough lottabody, frizz is pretty much non existent. Smooth shiny hair.

After a wash n go I shake my hair for the curls to pop but I never touch the hair. I found when I touch it that's where it gets frizzy.
yep! i shake my head too. There will be frizz with wash n go s to an extent but for the most part, don't touch your hair while it drying

I've found that after co washing (or Dcing) and moisturizing using my fingers instead of my comb to style my hair works well for keeping down the frizz.

Also HE's None Of Your Frizziness Smoothing Leave-In Creme keeps the frizz away for me too.

I'm 3C but have lots of frizz. The Denman helps, not using a towel to dry my hair helps, and using gel when I do wash and go's. If I don't use gel its frizz galore. If my hair is straight, coffee butter keeps my hair laying down flat.

Wash day
1. never towel dry, just squeeze out excess moisture
2. Rake products into hair with fingers only when wet
3. DO NOT TOUCH AGAIN

2nd/3rd/however long you go
1. Spritz with water and glycerine mix ( 1 part glycerin 9 parts water)
2. Use moisturizing creme or butter on ends
3. Apply holding products to edges if necessary
4. DO NOT TOUCH

I try not to towel dry my hair at all.
My Denman helps the frizz A LOT.
I shingle with good leave-ins...falling in love with Paul Mitchell Cream Leave-In lately.
IC Fantasia Gel...I use it sometimes but I don't like how it makes my hair feel.
Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue works really well too, but it smells too sweet for me.

Wash day
1. never towel dry, just squeeze out excess moisture
2. Rake products into hair with fingers only when wet
3. DO NOT TOUCH AGAIN

2nd/3rd/however long you go
1. Spritz with water and glycerine mix ( 1 part glycerin 9 parts water)
2. Use moisturizing creme or butter on ends
3. Apply holding products to edges if necessary
4. DO NOT TOUCH

^^^this is EXACTLY what I do.. - the glycerin mix ..usually just mist some water

Frizz never bothered me, so imagine my surprise when defined coils and crinkles started to pop up after many years of being natural. I have not pinpointed the cause, but this is what I have been doing for the past 18 months:

• Daily or every other day co-washing, alternating between VO5 and Nature's Gate (green bottle)
  • Finger-combing to remove shed hair
  • Using a comb every 4-6 weeks
  • Cold water rinsing
  • Wrapping it up in a microfiber towel for a few minutes
  • Sleeping on a silk pillowcase
  • Leaving it alone
Can I keep this up as my hair grows? We shall see...

I'm 3C but have lots of frizz. The Denman helps, not using a towel to dry my hair helps, and using gel when I do wash and go's. If I don't use gel its frizz galore. If my hair is straight, coffee butter keeps my hair laying down flat.

What is this coffee butter you speak of?:grin:

and Op I apply my porducts in the shower, shake off the excess and then i leave my hair alone

I use Argan oil (from sally's $8.99) and Juice under my gel (keeps my hair soft too ) :drunk:

When I press my hair, I use a serum to keep frizz at bay.

When wearing it shrunken, I don't mind frizz at all. In fact, I don't even use a brush or scarf to lay my hair down when I put it in a puff. I comb it backward then use my hands to smooth it as I put the elastic band on. I think the frizz makes it look so soft and fluffy.

I've posted before how much I used to admire frizz on girls with type 3 hair, esp the hairline halo, that I'd pull my own hair out of a puff to create a forced halo. :lol:

What's coffee Butter? This is a new product to me and I need something to lay my edges down until they grow a little longer from being broken off.

Tell me more about this :grin:...

Sorry it took me so long to see this.

Well all it consists of is about 2tbs of honey, 2 of apple cider vinagar and lots of extra virgin olive oil. I keep this on my head with a bag and go under the dryer for 30 mins.
Its a really runny mix so I have been looking for the right conditioner to mix it with, one with no protein and no cones so it is as moisturising as possible.

yea and upon rinsing out I have sheen for days and less frizz than if I used most gels (because most gels dont do much for my frizz)

Back