Naturals-How long does your hair stay (bone) straight

Hello girls
Im currently transitioning (13 months post) and i m preparing myself to be 100% natural, looking for classy hairstyles and good routine. As i really don t like to see myself with short hair, i was looking for hairstyle that allow me to keep my 4a hair the longest possible or at least with the less shrinkage possible. I tried to flat iron my hair but it turns fizzy after only 1hour... How long does your straightening last on sunny days ? (west indian girl with tropical weather). Which method do you use to maintain your hair straight ?
Thanks in advance

About an hr :lol:
Seriously though, I don't staighten often so I don't think I have an effective blowdry/straightening technique down yet. The next time I straighten I may use a pressing comb or get it professionally straightened after thorough research. There's a Huetiful salon in Chicago I could see myself going to if I decide on the professional route.

Hope someone who is more helpful chimes in!

At the salon 2 weeks
At home my roots kink, but my hair is mostly straight. I don't have a perfect at home routine and use low heat, but my hair will stay straight ish until the next wash day so 10+ days

I don't go to the salon but many of my natural friends straighten n it last a few week depending on how well the take care of it. Me on the other hand dont like to straighten so when I actually do it last all of 20 mins because I am yet to master the technique if flat ironing my hair :)

When I would flat iron with my Chi, it would start puffing up instantly. But ever since I got my Babyliss flat iron, it will last until the next time I wash it. Went three weeks with bone straight hair the last time I flat ironed my hair.

Ummm...maybe a day or two lol! Gotta love Texas heat...however if I knew how to wrap my hair then it possibly could last longer. You know something that does work though I'm going to have to revisit is Paul Mitchell super skinny and Sabino moisture block. My hair could last over a week b4 I get tired of it.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

The first time I got my natural hair straightened it only lasted 2 days. Now it lasts up to 2 weeks. I get dominican blowouts. The one time I tried to flatirob myself it poofed before I finished my whole head

My hair will stay straight until I wash it. However, if I'm working out a lot my roots will start to get puffy. I use my savemydo wrap for my edges, which works very well.

I typically don't straighten in hot weather because my hair won't last 5 min straight if it's past 65 degrees. Have you tried getting it professionally done?

It depends on the season here in the Southeast. Since it's winter my straight hair will last for a week or so at least. Now, when Spring hits most days it's only for a few hours! Unless... I use some kind of keratin/smoothing treatment or flat iron spray. Then I can get about 4 to 5 days at least. I don't straighten my hair often, but when I do in the future I plan to heat train it. I think then I'll be able to get it to last a few weeks then. I've seen a lot of women here in Atlanta even in the summer and the high humidity with heat trained hair stay straight for 3 to 4 weeks before having to redo it.

Hello girls
Im currently transitioning (13 months post) and i m preparing myself to be 100% natural, looking for classy hairstyles and good routine. As i really don t like to see myself with short hair, i was looking for hairstyle that allow me to keep my 4a hair the longest possible or at least with the less shrinkage possible. I tried to flat iron my hair but it turns fizzy after only 1hour... How long does your straightening last on sunny days ? (west indian girl with tropical weather). Which method do you use to maintain your hair straight ?
Thanks in advance

It could be your technique? When I flat iron my hair myself it pales in comparison to when it's professionally done. Flat ironing my own hair is not a strong point for me. They are able to get my hair straight and silk literally from root to tip with 2 swipes at best, and even then some hairdressers are better than others at doing this. My hair tends to revert pretty easily but a professionally done flat iron easily lasts until I wash it. When I do it at home it can last all week, but it's still not as silky/straight as when a stylist does it.

mine would frizz before I would finish straightening it. Pretty much a waste of time which is why I chose not to straighten very often.

I've gotten my hair staighten once since I went natural. It lasted 3 days. I workout a lot. Doesn't make since to staighten my hair with my workout schedule. I didn't really enjoy it staight anyway because the whole time I was anxious that I had heat damage or that my curls would not come back. It probably could have lasted longer but I was so ready to wash it by the third day that I washed it.

My blow out and flat iron lasted a week during 90 degree temperatures and 3 or more workouts. My roots started to puff up from the exrcise I guess but the length remained straight. I think I could have gone 2 weeks if I wasn't working out.

After 2 weeks i wash because I begin to miss my curls but my straight hair can last much longer.

But it seems to me that water based moisturizers cause reversion. I am wondering what seems to work best for ladies that are able to keep their hair straight longer. It would be helpful if you would give some names.

Last edited:
But it seems to me that water based moisturizers cause reversion. I am wondering what seems to work best for ladies that are able to keep their hair straight longer. It would be helpful if you would give some names.

I just use coconut or extra virgin olive oil most times ...sometimes i'll use hair pomade/dressing not as thick as grease and more benefits.

Back