naturals- how can I prevent my braid out from puffing out!

Ms Lala

Ok I did a braidout using gel for hold. It was really cute in the morning but halfway through the work day my hair was just one big poof. My hair was not wet when I took it a loose, I even did the braid out on dry hair to help prevent shrinkage. I don't know what to do to prevent this. Any tips.

I will try to post pics

Did you apply anything - like an anti-frizz serum - before or after you took your braids down? My hair loves the cheap Sally's BioSillk serum. It keeps my hair frizz free :yep: I'm surprised your hair went all puff daddy on you though. Since it's getting colder, I wouldn't think humidity would be a factor all that much. Hmmm...

I was going to say the same thing. You hair needs some silicon an some weight, especially since your hair is so thick. And what are you using to braid it? When I use Shea butter (I'm heavy-handed) my braid-outs are limp versus puffy.

moisture, moisture, and more moisture! I do my braid outs while my hair is wet....and I drench it in a cream moisture... so much that you can sort of see it ooze a little as I braid. I seal the ends with almond oil, and I use a perm rod on the ends. My braid outs are always very wavy, super smooth, and shiny. People think my hair is naturally curly...like a 3a, but I have 4a hair.

I wear braid outs all the time now.

I recommend doing them on wet hair...at least damp hair. I generally let my hair dry about 70%, sometimes less, and then do my braidout applying a mixture of CHI Silk Infusion and aloe vera gelly to each section. I give them 12+ hours to dry and then take them down. My braidouts dry soft and sleek, and they don't frizz.

Do you touch or play with your hair throughout the day at all? I know my hair gets super big after it's dry if I try to manipulate it or touch it too much. IDK, it could be humidity in the air also.

HEre's what I did-
Wash and DC, Apply leave in and heat protectant and blowdry.
Then I braided w/gel and wore the braids over night (about 10 hours total).
I removed them
in the morning and my hair had nice hang and great definition. 3 hours later
I looked like a puff ball. I was glad I had the top of my hair pulled back. Maybe I
should leave my hair a little damp and add some serum

HEre's what I did-
I removed them
I looked like a puff ball. I was glad I had the top of my hair pulled back. Maybe I

:spinning::drunk:You need some OIL girl! :drunk::spinning:

Just a little oil or some serum to keep your hair smooth. Oil is always a must especially for twist outs personally. I would put it on on top of the gel and just run a tiny bit in when I take out the braids.

Don't leave it damp if you can help it... dry is the way to go (for me)

Hi :yep: I tried my first braidout last night, and i sealed my ends with Castor oil, and i also put a little dap on my braids and my hair has not frizzed up all day! It is also humid and about to rain outside!

Hi :yep: I tried my first braidout last night, and i sealed my ends with Castor oil, and i also put a little dap on my braids and my hair has not frizzed up all day! It is also humid and about to rain outside!

What products did you use before applying the castor oil on your ends?

:spinning::drunk:You need some OIL girl! :drunk::spinning:

Just a little oil or some serum to keep your hair smooth. Oil is always a must especially for twist outs personally. I would put it on on top of the gel and just run a tiny bit in when I take out the braids.

Don't leave it damp if you can help it... dry is the way to go (for me)

Maybe that's what's missing. It looks like most of the other posters used some type of butter or oil w/their braid out.

I recommend doing them on wet hair...at least damp hair. I generally let my hair dry about 70%, sometimes less, and then do my braidout applying a mixture of CHI Silk Infusion and aloe vera gelly to each section. I give them 12+ hours to dry and then take them down. My braidouts dry soft and sleek, and they don't frizz.

This is what I was going to say. In my experience, trying to set in any way - braids, twists, rollers - is less successful when starting on dry hair.

I'm also going to go against the grain and say stay away from moisture. Think about it, if you are natural and get your hair straightened, or you get your hair done and get it curled, what makes it fuzz out or lose the curl? Water, i.e. moisture. For maximum definition and smoothness, I would apply a cream or butter that is low in humectants on wet hair, braid or twist, and then undo once completely dry. You can even just put oil on the hair before braiding. Depending on the weather, my small twist outs will last the whole week until I wash with this method.

It was right after a fresh cowash with CON, i applied a very little amount of S-curl no drip, and a little bit of leave in. My hair was not dripping wet, but it was moist enough. This was also my first time using Castor oil, so i am not sure if i did it correctly, but the end results today have been lovely!

Another thing that helped as well were the perm rods on the end as mentioned above. I used those, and i can tell that the more i curled them up on the braid, the curlier that section is now. I think i am going to curl them all up a little more so they can be even curlier next time --- i must say that the first try has been a great success! I have been receiving compliments all day!

This is what I was going to say. In my experience, trying to set in any way - braids, twists, rollers - is less successful when starting on dry hair.

I'm also going to go against the grain and say stay away from moisture. Think about it, if you are natural and get your hair straightened, or you get your hair done and get it curled, what makes it fuzz out or lose the curl? Water, i.e. moisture. For maximum definition and smoothness, I would apply a cream or butter that is low in humectants on wet hair, braid or twist, and then undo once completely dry. You can even just put oil on the hair before braiding. Depending on the weather, my small twist outs will last the whole week until I wash with this method.

Maybe the gel was too much of a humectant. It does have glycerin. I think the thickness of our hair is similar, my hair looks like your hair in your siggy when its blown out. Would you stay away from the gel?

Maybe the gel was too much of a humectant. It does have glycerin. I think the thickness of our hair is similar, my hair looks like your hair in your siggy when its blown out. Would you stay away from the gel?

I don't really use gel. I've tried it a couple of times for roller sets, but not for twist outs. So I'm not sure what to advise about them. If it has a lot of glycerin, I'd stay away from it if you want the definition in your twist out to last. Glycerin will draw moisture into your hair making it soft but also making it puff out and lose definition.

I think gel will make the hair hard and dry. I like moisture and I make sure the braid isn't too loose and that 'presses' the hair out...and keeps the braidout smooth.

I do mine on wet hair.

moisture, moisture, and more moisture! I do my braid outs while my hair is wet....and I drench it in a cream moisture... so much that you can sort of see it ooze a little as I braid. I seal the ends with almond oil, and I use a perm rod on the ends. My braid outs are always very wavy, super smooth, and shiny. People think my hair is naturally curly...like a 3a, but I have 4a hair.

I wear braid outs all the time now.

OK Snilloh, How you gon' give us this gem, tell us about the beauty and not have a pic for us to drool over.

You've gotta know someone who can post a digital pic for us.

Pwetty Pwease! Just One!:grin:

Ok I did a braidout using gel for hold. It was really cute in the morning but halfway through the work day my hair was just one big poof. My hair was not wet when I took it a loose, I even did the braid out on dry hair to help prevent shrinkage. I don't know what to do to prevent this. Any tips.

I will try to post pics

IDK, maybe it was the gel. Start with dry moisturized hair that is sealed with some kind of oil. Spray water or aloe vera juice on each section before braiding. That's how I do mine. Pics are in my fotki. :grin:

Ms La La,

Are you doing individual braids or Cornrows?

I agree that you should use something other than gel. But here's my tip.

I also start with dry hair because it is just easier for me to manage and get straight parts. But the trick is, you have to Braid very secure and keep your hands & fingers oiled while braiding [I use either a) coconut or oilve oil b) Bee Mine non sulfur serum c) Vatika Oil d) Cream of Nature Tea Tree moisturizing cream] and then Spray it with when all the braids are finished. I normally use diluted Lottabody setting lotion. Spray down the length of each braid. Apply it generously but not to the point where it is dripping wet. Then I pat and squeeze the braids or cornrows to make sure the moisture is penetrating into each braid.

If you do this then make sure they are 100% dry before you take them out...you should have a better outcome.

HEre's what I did-
I removed them

I think you needed to use a moisturizer like shea butter with the gel. It would hold better.

I don't really use gel. I've tried it a couple of times for roller sets, but not for twist outs. So I'm not sure what to advise about them. If it has a lot of glycerin, I'd stay away from it if you want the definition in your twist out to last. Glycerin will draw moisture into your hair making it soft but also making it puff out and lose definition.[/quote]

This is exactly what happened. My hair is SOOOOOO soft and fluffy but not defined. It must be the glycerin in the gel. Maybe I should use a setting lotion, my hair doesn't tend to set well w/no product.

OK Snilloh, How you gon' give us this gem, tell us about the beauty and not have a pic for us to drool over.

Yes I agree I would love to see pics. I would love for my hair to look more like natural curls.

Ms La La,

Are you doing individual braids or Cornrows?

I agree that you should use something other than gel. But here's my tip.

I also start with dry hair because it is just easier for me to manage and get straight parts. But the trick is, you have to Braid very secure and keep your hands & fingers oiled while braiding [I use either a) coconut or oilve oil b) Bee Mine non sulfur serum c) Vatika Oil d) Cream of Nature Tea Tree moisturizing cream] and then Spray it with when all the braids are finished. I normally use diluted Lottabody setting lotion. Spray down the length of each braid. Apply it generously but not to the point where it is dripping wet. Then I pat and squeeze the braids or cornrows to make sure the moisture is penetrating into each braid.

If you do this then make sure they are 100% dry before you take them out...you should have a better outcome.

I do individual braids, I can't cornrow. I thought I braided them tight, maybe I need to make them smaller

IDK, maybe it was the gel. Start with dry moisturized hair that is sealed with some kind of oil. Spray water or aloe vera juice on each section before braiding. That's how I do mine. Pics are in my fotki. :grin:

Your braid out is really pretty in your fotki. I don't think my natural hair will look like that. Your hair is very defined and silky.

I agree that you may need oil to seal in moisture. I'm texlaxed and usually do twistouts (see siggy) on damp hair, and I never have a frizz problem if I let the twists dry completely before removing them. Here's my routine:

- Apply a mixture of extra virgin coconut oil and castor oil, a nickle size of each to damp hair.
- Part hair into a mohawk and detangle with a Jilbere de Paris shower comb.
- Make 4 twists along mohawk section, from front to back. Then, divide the remaining sections into 3 twists each, for a total of 10 twists.
- Roll the ends of twists on a piece (2" long) of drinking straw secured with a roller pin.
- Airdry for about 24 hours or use a bonnet dryer to shorten drying time. After my hair is TOTALLY dry, remove the twists/straws and fingerstyle.

I will take a picture tomorrow morning when I take these braids down! I do my braid outs every 2-3 days because I like them to look fresh.

A couple months ago if not more, someone posted a good 'how-to' for either a twist-out or braid-out. I've been looking for it to say thank you for seveal of the tips that worked very well for me. I'm not sure if she address the 'control' aspect of the 'out' styles but see if you can find the thread. I believe Nonie might have posted something in that thread so see if you can search based on this information...here's what I remember...

1. make sure hair is very wet
2. detangle thouroughly (I used a small tooth comb on very well detangled hair- Denman brush in the shower)
3. do not put any product on until the end when hair is drying but still damp

I might have added a VERY small amount of Redken Smooth down butter blend (which I'm trying to use and and will not repurchase). If I normally use a palm full of leave-in, that time I used 1/8 or so...less was better for me.

All I know is my braid-out had SWANG, yes, it grew as the night went on but did not get frizzy and retained it's curl pattern. I twisted them individually and used perm rods on the ends...

Next time I promise to have picture proof!

bumping, these are great tips. I tried again using oil and still looked like a puff ball. I'm going to try today on damp hair

Back