Naturals: How big is too big for twists?

Leeda.the.Paladin

I put some really thick twists in because I didn't have the time to put in the usual sized ones that I do. I think that these are too big though, but I love not spending hours to put them in, but I feel a little self conscious wearing them out in public.

Do prefer big twists, small twists or micro sized twists?

i like jumbo twists but they look better on longer hair.I dont like small twists unless they are extensions

I've never done jumbo twists. My method of twisting makes the twists somewhat skinny so I'm afraid if I were to do fat twists, my scalp would be very exposed and I'd feel cold. :lachen: (It's not really the cold I'm worried about. :lol: I just like to have my scalp somewhat covered, which is why I also do small braids and not big ones.) I also like to feel my twists move and so until I have longer hair, I think I will always do skinny twists.

Last edited:
I always do jumbo twists for twist-outs....I never leave twists in though, I always look like Felicia from Friday.

I'm making bigger and bigger twists, but I don't wear them down, I wear them in an updo. That way, it's quicker to do, and I'm not self-consious about it (we all have the memory of dookie braids in the back of our heads, don't we? :lol:)

If I had the time, micro-sized twists would be my preference. But the next best thing for me is small twists. Like Napp, I think jumbo twists look better on longer hair. I can't wait to reach that point. :grin:

If I had the time, micro-sized twists would be my preference. But the next best thing for me is small twists. Like Napp, I think jumbo twists look better on longer hair. I can't wait to reach that point. :grin:

I thought I heard LOO LA LOOOOOOOOO in the wind. Hey Loo...sorry to hijack the thread. Let me contribute...

I like fat twist on long hair too. I'm waiting to get to a certain length and then I will wear my hair like that.

i like jumbo twists but they look better on longer hair.I dont like small twists unless they are extensions

Yep same here, i think large twists always look better on longer hair, i would love to wear big twists one day, but definately not with my shoulder length hair. Sticking to my small twists here, they suit me better and i love wearing them in a ponytail.

I like small or micro. I've seen in some hair albums where ladies make big twists and pin them up in an updo like someone else mentioned. It looks really good. I'm going to try that when my hair gets longer.

I put some really thick twists in because I didn't have the time to put in the usual sized ones that I do. I think that these are too big though, but I love not spending hours to put them in, but I feel a little self conscious wearing them out in public.

Do prefer big twists, small twists or micro sized twists?
I totally feel you on this!! I, too, did the big twists thing, but it was only to see if I could preserve an ongoing twistout. And it did the job but to try and walk out the door looking that way? Ummm:nono: LOL So I honestly prefer the small twists or if I don't have alot of time, I'd go for some medium twists or the big jumbo ones w/extensions, but I don't think I'll go for the micro-sized ones just yet.

Last edited:
Because I can't really part, I do small twists. If there are enough of them, it generally hides the scalp and partially obscures the fact that I didn't really part. If my hair were very long and I could get away with 15 twists or less, I might make the effort to part and wear big ones. But with my length and my non-parting-ness, I have to do smaller. I usually do between 70 and 80.

Ever since I saw some ladies with big twists, that became my goal! I am going to someday have the longest biggest twists ever!:love::yep:

I once saw this woman with two twists going down her back. I really loved the way they looked. At the time, I tried it...but my hair was much shorter and it looked ridiculous, especially since my twists shrink. I'm getting to the point now where my twists, when dry, are reaching nearly to my waist, so I like them okay now. I sometimes make four twists. I don't have the patience nor the preference to have a lot of thin twists in my hair. They never stay long enough to make it worth the time it takes to put them in.

I thought I heard LOO LA LOOOOOOOOO in the wind. Hey Loo...sorry to hijack the thread. Let me contribute...

I like fat twist on long hair too. I'm waiting to get to a certain length and then I will wear my hair like that.

LOL .... Hey Naturalgurl! :grinwink:

I don't have the patience to do tiny twists so the most I'll do is 8 and it seems like it takes forever to do those. The results come out really good. People always think I went and got my hair "done", I guess they think I got waves put in it.

Attachments

• Twists004-vi.jpg
    Twists004-vi.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 27
Large twists for daily styling and small (not micro) twists for style. My hair is way too fine to try to wear large twists out. I need more (longer and thicker) hair for that.

?Do you twist your hair when it is wet or dry?

Always dry and then I immediately dunk them in an ACV solution and let them drip dry, so that they can hang down straight. The shrinkage also helps give my very fine light twists some weight.

?Do you twist your hair when it is wet or dry?

I don't know if this question was directed to me, but I usually twist mine dry, but did these bigger ones while wet.

Well, the twists only last 2 days, they were looking terrible and had to come out. Here they are while they were fresh:

DSC03010-vi.jpg

I wore them under a wig one day. I still might do this if I know I'm not going to have to go to work or anything.

I'm making bigger and bigger twists, but I don't wear them down, I wear them in an updo. That way, it's quicker to do, and I'm not self-consious about it (we all have the memory of dookie braids in the back of our heads, don't we? :lol:)

Haha, this is EXACTLY what was on my mind. I'm not quite in the poetic justice league yet though. :grin:

I don't know if this question was directed to me, but I usually twist mine dry, but did these bigger ones while wet.

Well, the twists only last 2 days, they were looking terrible and had to come out. Here they are while they were fresh:

DSC03010-vi.jpg

I wore them under a wig one day. I still might do this if I know I'm not going to have to go to work or anything.

Haha, this is EXACTLY what was on my mind. I'm not quite in the poetic justice league yet though. :grin:

Oh, but see, those are CUTE!!! They are so lush and thick - I like, I like!

When my hair was shorter, my phatty twists were FIYAH! Now, not so much.

Do you have pics of your phatty twists when your hair was shorter? I can't imagine them being FIYAH on my short hair but if I can get a visual of what you call short, maybe I can imagine myself looking good in them at that length.

Your hair goes on for miles so the word "short" is relative. So got pics to share?

Do you have pics of your phatty twists when your hair was shorter? I can't imagine them being FIYAH on my short hair but if I can get a visual of what you call short, maybe I can imagine myself looking good in them at that length.

Your hair goes on for miles so the word "short" is relative. So got pics to share?

I'm going to need to see some pics as well :yep:

I prefer small to medium size twists like in my siggy because the longer I wear them the more they plump up. The micro sized ones are way too hard to take out.

OOOOOOOHHHHHH.......PRETTY!!!!!!

I was actually on here doing a search because I'm about to wash and twist my hair. I wanted to see how big other ladies do their twists. I don't know if mines are large or small. I do know that I'm getting tired of taking 3.5 hours of my day to twist, though. This is about the size I normally make mines:

I have to do small ones, if not it will look too spacey because my hair is thin. :sad: That's why I don't wear twists. I only twist for a twistout. Hopefully they'll look better on my hair when it gets longer.

I have to do small ones, if not it will look too spacey because my hair is thin. :sad: That's why I don't wear twists. I only twist for a twistout. Hopefully they'll look better on my hair when it gets longer.

Glam Girl, you and I are >>here<<. My exact sentiments the bold. I'm intrigued though to see if fatty twists...or a little bigger than my usual size could look OK if you planned it so that they overlap and hide the parts.

Think of the smileys below being the twist bases and then imagine the twists falling back covering the space between the ones in the row behind them.

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
_:grin: :grin: :grin:
:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

What works against me too is my twisting method makes twists skinnier than twisting otherwise. But I trust my way as a tangle-proof way that I'm afraid to try the other way which might give a better look. Maybe I'll try wearing them in a *fixed* updo...if I can figure out a way to make it stay and look good. Otherwise baggy here I come till further notice.

Back