Naturals: have you used a box color on your hair? Come in!

CarLiTa

Hey y'all, any natural hair lady here have used a box color on her hair to color it? I'm talking about the boxes you'll get from CVS.

if so, what was your experience like? Did you have someone help you do it? What steps did you follow? How did the color turn out (and what color was it)? Would you recommend the brand you used? Do you wish you had gone to a salon to do it?

Advice would be greatly appreciated. Want to color my hair (first time ever!!) and weary of spending, like, $140+ for the process.

Thanks!!

All the time! I usually go for the blue-black, it's pretty easy. All I do is base edges w/ conditioner (to stop from dying my skin) then apply sort of like a perm, smooth througout hair until the time runs out. Instead of using the conditioner that comes with the dye, I tend to use my own conditioner so I can saturate my hair. The blue black turns out beautiful.Any other color doesnt work for my hair, it's so coarse. I recently tried to dye my hair golden brown but it only slightly took to my edges and newgrowth, and gave my entire head a reddish glow when the sun hits it. :( So for lighter colors (if your hair isnt naturally light) I don't have any good advice. Box dyes however, are quick and easy and they've never really caused me damage. I used loreal, the last one I used was garnier fructise.

I used to. I need way too much color to use a box though. I prefer to buy at Sally's so I have more control.

Even with Feria, which has more product than the average box I need two boxes. It's much cheaper for me to buy a bottle of developer and two tubes of color.

Yes, I've used box color on my natural hair several times. I usually use Revlon Color silk blue-black, though I've also used other colors. I would recommend this brand as well as Feria. The process for me is always the same: I put gloves on, divide my hair into sections and apply the dye using the applicator, then smooth it with my hands. When doing the crown of my hair and further back, I take a handheld mirror with me into the bathroom-my hair is very dense and it's quite easy to miss spots. After all of my hair is covered with the dye, I put a baggy on for the remaining time I'm to let it process. I've never had a salon dye experience, but I simply prefer to do things myself. HTH.

yep all the time.
i usually use Revlon colorsilk in blue black, just did it two days ago actually.
you will need two boxes if you are doing it for the first time, the 1 box barely covers touching up just my roots.
the one time i went to a salon, she took forever and was all slow about it. so i wouldn't even bother unless you're gonna cash out for a really great salon.
be sure to follow up with some deep conditioning.

I have, but I didn't really take care of it. I was experimenting, and then in another continent, so I ended up growing the color out. I used Textures & Tones. I would recommend the brand because I don't believe it was harsh on my hair; I was the one that didn't really know what I was doing.

Yes, it broke my hair off. I got highlights from Aveda- blondish. I retouched myself with a box because I didn't like the Aveda experience- no one could style my hair. At that point everything was ok. I colored my hair auburn all over when I was done with the two tones. I used Garnier color with bamboo whatever...my hair came out in chunks. I had a bald spot in the back for months. I had short pieces (1") on the sides from breakage.... I'm done with color.

Thanks, y'all! I didn't specify what color bc I'm actually considering 2 at both ends of the spectrum: either jet black or medium brown.
I'm tempted to do the jet black for now bc my hair currently needs a good deal of TLC. once I've given it a good dose of that consistently, then I will consider lightening it. Does that sound like a good idea??

Yes, it broke my hair off. I got highlights from Aveda- blondish. I retouched myself with a box because I didn't like the Aveda experience- no one could style my hair. At that point everything was ok. I colored my hair auburn all over when I was done with the two tones. I used Garnier color with bamboo whatever...my hair came out in chunks. I had a bald spot in the back for months. I had short pieces (1") on the sides from breakage.... I'm done with color.

:blush: oh no:sad:
I've been terribly afraid of color. Nearly everyone I'm aware of who has lightened their hair ended up growing it out and cutting it out. I don't have time to waste or hair to lose. I'm trying to reach waist length next year.

In that case^^ Yes I've dyed my hair with a lighter color before. My hair is naturally light-medium brown with sandy-golden highlights and I've applied a sort of caramel blonde before with success, as well as various browns.

CarLiTa Doesn't that mean you'd probably have to bleach your hair later in order to get to the brown? Or would you dye only the virgin hair at that point?

On this matter I can tell you that after dying my hair black, the only way I can ever produce a lighter color over it is by 1. bleaching or 2. henna-my hair will turn auburn and the most resistant parts of my hair will be off-black.

Also, you mentioned your hair needs some TLC, what are we talking-damage-what exactly do you mean? :)

CarLiTa said:
:blush: oh no:sad:
I've been terribly afraid of color. Nearly everyone I'm aware of who has lightened their hair ended up growing it out and cutting it out. I don't have time to waste or hair to lose. I'm trying to reach waist length next year.

I notice that too. There was a wave of naturals who chopped then went blond then chopped again. I had fun with color when I was shoulder length. Luckily I didn't have to cut because my breakage was only in a few areas and quarter sized pieces so I could hide it.

The Aveda color was fine for my hair, the box blond (which only went on my roots) was fine, the Garnier was murder.

If you want color, consider a salon. I got cocky and lost some hair. I'm sure if I had went back to Aveda for color things would be different....if only they hadn't treated me like an animal at the zoo. Even my natural hairdresser did not know what she was doing.

I've gone lighter, multiple levels and bleached on my own. Everyone's hair is different, but my hair is still very healthy even when lightened.

I've been lightening my hair since I was 13 and tricked my mom into buying me a bottle of peroxide. I haven't seen my natural color since sophomore year of high school.

In that case^^ Yes I've dyed my hair with a lighter color before. My hair is naturally light-medium brown with sandy-golden highlights and I've applied a sort of caramel blonde before with success, as well as various browns.

CarLiTa Doesn't that mean you'd probably have to bleach your hair later in order to get to the brown? Or would you dye only the virgin hair at that point?

On this matter I can tell you that after dying my hair black, the only way I can ever produce a lighter color over it is by 1. bleaching or 2. henna-my hair will turn auburn and the most resistant parts of my hair will be off-black.

Also, you mentioned your hair needs some TLC, what are we talking-damage-what exactly do you mean? :)

Hm, see, this is how little I know about coloring hair. I assumed that if you're depositing a darker color, you don't really need dye it, per se. I guess I was thinking a semi-permanent black color...?

But, if you want to lighten it, it HAS to be a dye, right?

I've thought about henna, but I really don't want the reddish look. A medium brown with slight red tint maybe, but not deep red like henna produces.

As far as needing TLC, my hair is really dry these days: lack of DC'ing and 4-5x week hot yoga, which causes my head to sweat a LOT:eek: I was thinking I should hold off on any color and give it some good DCing 1-2x/week for the next few weeks or something.

I've gone lighter, multiple levels and bleached on my own. Everyone's hair is different, but my hair is still very healthy even when lightened.

I've been lightening my hair since I was 13 and tricked my mom into buying me a bottle of peroxide. I haven't seen my natural color since sophomore year of high school.

Pretty much this for me as well.

Hm, see, this is how little I know about coloring hair. I assumed that if you're depositing a darker color, you don't really need dye it, per se. I guess I was thinking a semi-permanent black color...?

But, if you want to lighten it, it HAS to be a dye, right?

I've thought about henna, but I really don't want the reddish look. A medium brown with slight red tint maybe, but not deep red like henna produces.

As far as needing TLC, my hair is really dry these days: lack of DC'ing and 4-5x week hot yoga, which causes my head to sweat a LOT:eek: I was thinking I should hold off on any color and give it some good DCing 1-2x/week for the next few weeks or something.

Ah, yes! What I meant was that if you were planning on dying your hair jet black first (permanently), then going to a lighter color like a brown that you might need to lift your hair color (i.e. bleach) it in order to deposit that brown/lighter color. If you're doing semi-permanent, such should not be the case!

I understand your concerns now! Hmm, I'd definitely say that if you dye, keep a good DC around and DC 1x a week for sure!

I've used them in the distant past and never had an issue with it. I've always used semi-permanent colors in black or blue/black, but when I used Garnier permanent hair color in blue/black, it really dried out my hair.

I had the best experience mixing my own colors (with a developer) with L'Oreal Color Gems which is a demi. I purchased that from Sally.

1ZWZjmUVFZURTjoYC7VtD8IgSTAonufZvKMHvmhZZC0EoZP3cnyxc5fH2Ozpy6V21wmjISLDYAUhjNYPha3bCrq4S_RuzY_ghAHQqZn1OHp5DZHFI4Kg0XCFKhYDBQUVdz0lGe4RjR-urK9bHUp8CZhpc0WvEjrHau3J3uRQggGUeudrnHwCmsIrztoYNs22jTrwQm5NOSkAxvZ1m9qEYiWceagd9AO5rgJVA_7O1hUZNGTx3-AnJTqmCFJFbDYEEl5XFpchFsK9Q_dSy4O4C_Zf5yOOU15H

When i get home i will give you the name of the color that i use from sallys . I love it and i have never had it come out badly i just had to start from the ends first and then the middle because it became too light too fast

I grayed at age 18-19 so I've used a lot of coloring. The process does change the texture of my fine hair so I'm careful not to double process--not color the same area twice.
Be careful on the amount of time you allow the dye mixture to stay on hair before rinsing--I advise to go under not over the time.

I then use a reconstructor afterwards, the conditioner in the pack (which I've found to be good) plus additional conditioner.

After swearing I wouldn't color my hair again, I did so about 10 weeks ago with eSalon hair coloring. I just placed an order for it again.

I've had caramel and red hair since I BC'd last year. I use Silk Elements, Garnier, and Natural Instincts. Right now it's caramel brown from the SE dye fading out.

Textures & Tones 'til the day I die! I've been usually T&T permanent color for YEARS. I can't even remember when I started using it continuously, but it's been at least 4 years if not longer.

From my experience, T&T has been the best "box color" brand for my hair, that doesn't destroy my hair in the long run. It works fine along with a relaxer, too. In the past, I've used Feria (horrendous!), Dark & Lovely, Clairol and Natural Instincts* (?), and L'Oreal. I also had professional salon color in the past.

The color in my avatar pic is the color I get using T&T which is an auburn brown. I have a personal mix (I use more than one color), so my hair doesn't turn too brassy or too red. My natural hair color is jet black.

I'm currently transitioning (since last Oct), but I was coloring my hair all this time while being relaxed (lye) and had no issues. Until I got my hair cut in a bob, my hair was a few inches past shoulder length (and probably would have grown longer), but I kept it in a layered cut at that length.

I color the roots every 2.5 months or so. Sometimes I even go up to 3 months, but if I want to be "root-less" for a special occasion, I will color at 2 months. I don't mind roots and I don't want to be putting color in my hair every month.

I use two boxes of color -- I have A LOT of hair (densely packed strands).

I've been thinking about adding some highlights.

Things I've learned...

1. if you want to go DARKER, DON'T use permanent color!!! Use semi-permanent. There is no need to use a harsh permanent just to go darker, it's easy to "cover hair with color" to go darker. When you want to go LIGHTER, that's the only reason to use permanent color.

2. Just because it's a semi-permanent doesn't mean it is safer/better for your hair. It all depends on the product. My hair was somewhat messed up/dried out by using semi-permanents continuously over a period of a year or 2 (Natural Instincts and L'oreal whereas I have had NO PROBLEMS using the T&T PERMANENT COLOR. Note: I was using the semi-permanents to darken my hair as I grew out a lighter (salon) color some years back.

Last edited:
I am always playing with color. I used to use the Dark & Lovely brand but am a die-hard Textures & Tones fiend. This doesn't ever dry my hair out and I touch up like every 3 mos or so now. My avatar is old but its Red Hot Red on top with black in the back and some on the sides. Currently I have this same pattern but is now Honey Blonde on top and black on sides/back.

BlkMane I am going to color my hair in a couple of months. When you used T&T for the first time did your roots come out lighter than the rest of your hair? I am worried that it will happen to me when I apply the color. (I have seen the lighter root result in youtube videos) Any advice appreciated.

At home I perfer to color my hair with dark colors because when I have tried to lighten it especially with a light color(honey blonde or some other light color) my roots came out lighter then the rest of my hair. I want to try this Golden Brown that I have in Cream of Nature it looks really pretty because right now my roots are black and the other part of my hair is like a reddish color. So I may try that today.

I've had my hair highlighted before professionally but i was getting ALOT of pressing done at the time.

Back