Naturals...Has your curl pattern changed significantly as your hair has grown?

BrockStar

If you look through my fotki, mine has changed a LOT! Anyone else? I kind of wish my curls were still tighter, more corkscrewish like before, but now my hair is becoming more wavy which is fine, but I don't like as much...Chime in:grin::grin::grin:

P.S. So my hair reverted after I DC'ed it last night. I still have one little piece I'm concerned about, but I'm going to give it one wash before I start tripping...for the most part, all good though!!!

Last edited:
Yep. I thought my hair was getting thinner but I haven't had any shedding or breakage. Then I took a closer look and now see that the "curl pattern" is getting more relaxed. My hair is laying down smoother when I wear my buns. Velvet (one of my idols) says that her curl pattern changed as her hair got longer too. So this is natural.

Yes. The weight of my hair stretches the curls out, make them look more wavy than curly, I think. At this point, my hair often appears wavy with spiral curls on the ends.

Yes.. Most of my hair (about 60%) is wavy now. I can't coax them to curl for nuthin.....:nono:.

Also some of the waves have this 1/2 curl at the ends.. it's so cute...:grin:

Same here, it's a wavier and looser (Particularly at the roots)- which I just attribute to the weight of it. I like how the ends still do the corkscrew thing, though.

Yes. I think it's due to a couple of factors:

1. Hair is is optimimum state of moisture, so it holds water, making it heavier. The heavier it is the looser the curl pattern as a 4ab.
  2. I use baking soda to wash my hur. THis has also contributed significantly to loosening.

Not for me. My hair pattern is still the same, and it still shrinks A LOT.
You would think that gravity would stretch this hair out a little bit more, but it doesn't. My hair continues to grow, but it still shrinks to the same length and keeps the same curl patterns. That's plural! I still have 3 entirely different curl patterns. :perplexed

The front is looser, but the back shrinks up more. I'm not crazy about that; either all of it should shrink or all of it loosen, not this stupid half & half effect. :perplexed

Great thread. I'm just reading...

As a transitioner, I simply can't figure out what my hair is trying to do. But that probably has a lot of with the rest of the texlaxed hair weighing it down.

All of you have beautiful hair btw!

I am noticing changes. I thought it was my imagination.

Front is getting looser and waves are showing up in my braids :look: and the back is just a little less kinky.

I still have that shrinkage factor Warp 90 going though. :perplexed

I am just watching and observing because this is the longest natural hair I have ever had in my life so everything from here on out will be a seriously new adventure.

I am boldly going where I have never gone before with my hair that is.:yep:

Yes. I think it's due to a couple of factors:

1. Hair is is optimimum state of moisture, so it holds water, making it heavier. The heavier it is the looser the curl pattern as a 4ab.
  2. I use baking soda to wash my hur. THis has also contributed significantly to loosening.

Yes..... I agree with this - and Yes.... With different oils and concoctions I have noticed this.

When i started my Natural Journey i was thinking i was 4b But than out of Nowhere i Started Seeing Alot of 4a and 3c when i saw a length change.

I can't say that it's changed significantly, but it has definitely gotten more wavy - my ends, they still act the same, but from the roots to about 4 inches from the ends is - different. Flatter, I guess would be the best word for it.

My hair has lost some of its corkscrew, its much wavier that it used to be. Its actuallt very annoying

I totally agree. My hair was very coily in some areas like in the avatar, but now it's more wavy, and some parts don't even seem to have a clear pattern. As long as it's healthy, I really don't care what it wants to do, I will just have to figure out how to handle it best! :grin:

I noticed this as my hair grew longer. It went from corkscrews to a wavier texture. Now that I have chopped back down to a TWA I have my corkscrews back.

My hair is a little different....not a whole lot different.

Overall my hair texture seems a tiny bit more defined that when I first BC'ed. Also, the front is a little looser. The front has ALWAYS been looser than the rest of my hair (along with a section at the very top/crown of my head)...

Yup. After about about two inches past apl, my hair starts to look much more wavy and certain areas that were already very loose become straight looking when wet :ohwell: I suppose when it gets to bsl+ my curls won't hardly be definable :sad:

Yes...My hair is heavier and that is weighing it down, but the daily use of food grade aloe vera really loosened up my curl pattern tremendously this year as well and my hair hangs down now wet and dry -- not puffs out.

Not for me. My hair pattern is still the same, and it still shrinks A LOT.
You would think that gravity would stretch this hair out a little bit more, but it doesn't. My hair continues to grow, but it still shrinks to the same length and keeps the same curl patterns. That's plural! I still have 3 entirely different curl patterns. :perplexed

:yep::yep::yep::yep:

Back