Naturals..getting that light weight, silky straightened hair.

ebzonix

I suppose my technique on straightening my hair is just terrible, because mine didn't even last an hour. I try using the Fantasia Heat Protectant, it gives me shine but I dont get any body and my hair just feels stiff. I loved my salon hair, but I didnt like the hard presses every two week, which ultimately damaged my ends.

How can I get silky, straight hair that moves???

Have you tried the Mizani Thermasmooth? That system made my hair MOVE!
However on the regular i like using the IC range even though i get no "swang" :lachen:

Sabino's Moisture Block. Be willing to turn up the heat on your flat iron to seal it in. It's amazing stuff.

I suppose my technique on straightening my hair is just terrible, because mine didn't even last an hour. I try using the Fantasia Heat Protectant, it gives me shine but I dont get any body and my hair just feels stiff. I loved my salon hair, but I didnt like the hard presses every two week, which ultimately damaged my ends.

How can I get silky, straight hair that moves???
I use the Giovanni Straight fast and use it to do a braidout( like you would use a leave in conditioner).
once my hair is dry I take out each braid at a time and flat iron it.
the three hair strand used to do the braid, I flat iron individually. i use a sedu flat iron.

Sabino's Moisture Block. Be willing to turn up the heat on your flat iron to seal it in. It's amazing stuff.

this plus the chase the comb technique is all you'll ever need. This is for that "swangy" silky hair. use enough MB to protect but not too much to weight down the hair. Its light weight anyways.

* this post ITSELF should be a sticky.

Subscribing because I want to know, too. I always get light and fluffy when I flat-iron, even when I use the Sedu and fine tooth comb together. I have never achieved that heavy, "swinging" feel. That only comes with a serious, old-school, Marcel pressing comb + hot stove hard press and I can't do those myself.

ETA: still transitioning at the moment (almost two year into it) but have been natural for years in past.

Elle's steps to light weight,silky flat ironed natural hair:

Chelate/Clarify for a clean slate
Deep Condition with heat
Use an instant conditioner if necessary after the DC for more slip
Apply light leave in and do something to smooth the hair rollerset/twists/braids)
Allow hair to dry using medium heat(I find high heat makes my hair rough and brittle)
Apply chi silk infusion section by section and flat iron thin sections while doing the comb chase method.

**bump the ends under for a slight curl and do flat Pin curls overnight for lots of body and bounce.

**Use a light hand when applying the leave in and make sure rinse ALL of the conditioner away so your hair won't be weighed down

Last edited:

OT: does Saino's really work for humidity? I just got back from New Orleans and I took every thing I had from Aveda anti-humectrant to frizz ease and NOTHING worked. Where do you get it and what do you mean by "seal it in"?

do you press or flat iron ?
Im not a natural but ..my opinion (if you don't mind)

What I do when I flat iron (hardly ever) is :
1. shampoo/clarify my scalp, hair .. everything. I sometimes even do it twice just to ensure my hair is CLEEEANNN
2. Use a conditioner that doesn't give too much buildup afterwards
3. While wet, use a little eety bit of moisture on your ends. Like a quarter sized amount ALL OVER - no more than that
4. I airdry ... may not work for everyone but it works for me
5. When dry I apply heat protectant ALL over at once ( in 4 sections).
6. Flat iron hair in 1/2" by 1/2" sections .. any bigger is a waste of time, can make is smaller if you wish
7. I slide it through once as if im flipping it out, then i flat iron once as if im flipping it in .. two passes.. the most three .
8. Result - hair that moves like silk

TIP: Be prepared for it to take a while ... it took me 1 hour to do half of my head .. when along my business and then did the other half about 4 hours later .. I do not rush it.

Because you are natural detangle before flat ironing and hold the section straight ALL the way through and you should be good

For me....

1. coconut milk and Lime Treatment
2. Steam Treatment
3. Sabino Moisture Block
4. Cranking up the heat

Swingy Hair!

OT: does Saino's really work for humidity? I just got back from New Orleans and I took every thing I had from Aveda anti-humectrant to frizz ease and NOTHING worked. Where do you get it and what do you mean by "seal it in"?

it really helps with humidity. Get it at Trade secret. Heat suppose to drive the MB deeper into the strands for "sealed" protection.

i use tresseme, moisture shampoo and conditioner, and then i spray tresseme heat protectant on my hair, then i blow dry or sit under the dryer depends on how much time i have. The i flat iron with my solia flat iron, and go

Thanks to all the ladies who've given their tips and tricks to getting that swingin' hair. I think I'm going to try the "comb chase" method in order to see if that works, and even go over it more than once. Which is what I usually do. Thanks again! I'll definitely post results, and procedures. More techniques are definitely welcomed!

Back