Naturals, ends??

BklynHeart

I trimmed about an inch off my ends in December, but I've noticed that my ends still look ragged when its twisted. They don't curl right up like they used to, just some thin scraggly hair that just sticks out. I don't want to snip them off because when blown straight its a good even cut.
Is there another technique or product I should use for my ends?

Sounds like your ends are super dry. I use heat on the regular, and I apply some type of moisturizer to my ends everyday. I discovered that it is a MUST if I want to use heat and keep my ends strong, moisturized and healthy.

could your hair have been damaged from the straightening?

Nope, they snapped back to it's kinky state as soon as the water hit it when I washed. And its the only time I had it straightened.

Sounds like your ends are super dry. I use heat on the regular, and I apply some type of moisturizer to my ends everyday. I discovered that it is a MUST if I want to use heat and keep my ends strong, moisturized and healthy.
That's what's so weird. I washed and conditioned it, used a leave-in plus ORS jojoba oil on the ends then put it in 8 plaits. When it dried the hair felt moisturized, but the ends just looked crazy.

Nope, they snapped back to it's kinky state as soon as the water hit it when I washed. And its the only time I had it straightened.

That's what's so weird. I washed and conditioned it, used a leave-in plus ORS jojoba oil on the ends then put it in 8 plaits. When it dried the hair felt moisturized, but the ends just looked crazy.
If you are properly conditioning your hair then you may be over-drying your hair. Pay attention to your blow dryer appliance and your blow drying skills.

If you are properly conditioning your hair then you may be over-drying your hair. Pay attention to your blow dryer appliance and your blow drying skills.

I don't blow-dry my hair at all. I just let it air-dry, or sit under the dryer with the air on low for a 1/2 hour. I tried blowdrying ONCE, hot crispy mess!:nono:

I trimmed about an inch off my ends in December, but I've noticed that my ends still look ragged when its twisted. They don't curl right up like they used to, just some thin scraggly hair that just sticks out. I don't want to snip them off because when blown straight its a good even cut.
Is there another technique or product I should use for my ends?

If they look the way you describe then more than likely once you straighten your hair again it's not going to be a good even cut anymore. The ends are going to be crispy looking. Are you using a comb or brush on your hair to detangle?

So when did they start feeling this way? Was it only immediately after the straightening? How many times have you washed or dc'ed since then?

Last edited:
Nothing to add, but I LOVE your avi pic!
It's a model, but thanks!

If they look the way you describe then more than likely once you straighten your hair again it's not going to be a good even cut anymore. The ends are going to be crispy looking. Are you using a comb or brush on your hair to detangle?
I use a wide-tooth comb to detangle while wet. My hair is 4B and it shrinks up to a small afro, even though its past shoulder length.
I wish I was able to post a pic, they look horrid!

So when did they start feeling this way? Was it only immediately after the straightening? How many times have you moisturized or dc'ed since then?

Well, they were looking like that prior to straightening. I knew I needed a good trim. After the stylist blew it out, she trimmed, then went over it with a flat iron. I thought my ends would look the same as when I first chopped, really thick and would curl up on themselves.
I dc after every wash. This time I used Silk Elements Restore and Revive conditioner and sat under the dryer for 20 minutes.

I don't blow-dry my hair at all. I just let it air-dry, or sit under the dryer with the air on low for a 1/2 hour. I tried blowdrying ONCE, hot crispy mess!:nono:

What products did you have in your hair before you blowdried? That may affect how it turned out.

could the rough feeling be due to a lot of single strand knots?

I think so. the funny thing is, I don't have them when its wet. Of course, when its dry, I get it. I started the 2-strand twists again and that's when I noticed how raggedy and thin my ends look. Before I would keep it in a french braid or flat twists for the week.

DANGGONE IT, I can't get the pic to post!!! Well, just imagine a flat twist that is thinner on the ends and doesn't seal itself, lol.

Last edited:
What products did you have in your hair before you blowdried? That may affect how it turned out.

I've only blown it out once, months ago and haven't done it again. Except when my hairdresser did it, and the ends were really smooth. I air-dry on sit under the dryer for a 1/2hour with my hair plaited.

My ends are awful as well, as if a dog chews on em. I use heat perhaps once every few months. I air dry by twisting my hair in four sections, I hate my ends :(

could the rough feeling be due to a lot of single strand knots?

That could be it too. I always find them randomly when my hair is straight and they break off at the knot. Sometimes they get caught in the pins in the maxiglide and that caused me uneven ends. It happened more often when I had dye in my hair. Not so much now. But my ends were a HAM right after I got them trimmed. It was the combo of the dryness causing the knots and then the flat ironing (and touching up with the flat iron).

I always look and pick through my hair for split ends. I trim off ends strand by strand instead of in sections.

Back