Naturals: Does Your Hair Respond Better to Grease-Based Products When Pressed?

kblc06

My hair normally HATES oil based moisturizers and products in its completely natural state (except for Vaseline). They do not absorb at all even if they contain water. I lightly flat-ironed my hair with the maxiglide (on setting 4), so although its stretched, it's still fluffy and textured. I bought some Profectiv Growth Lotion a while back and decided it to try, hoping that it wouldn't cause immediate reversion like water based products. I also applied mist of African Pride Braid sheen spray, and some S&B Botanicals 3-n-1 Dry scalp treatment + Vaseline to my ends. I braid my hair into two plaits and go to bed. Well, what do you KNOW!? I wake up with the softest, most luxurious, tangle-free braid out ever :blush: :lol:. My hair actually feels stronger. And even better, my hair didn't revert (although I usually have no problem applying small amounts of water based moisturizers).

I also notice that with my younger natural cousins with WL+ hair whose hair is usually kept stretched in braids or pressed , petroleum based products seem to really agree with their hair.

So does your hair seem to respond better to petroleum or oil based products when stretched or pressed? If so, what do you think is the mechanism behind this? Do you believe that they can strengthen your hair? I tried to break one of my shed strands after applying the above products and it was actually kind of hard to do....which is unheard of for my fine hair! Prior to that, my hair would snap easily and felt rather brittle.

My hair normally HATES oil based moisturizers and products in its completely natural state (except for Vaseline). They do not absorb at all even if they contain water. I lightly flat-ironed my hair with the maxiglide (on setting 4), so although its stretched, it's still fluffy and textured. I bought some Profectiv Growth Lotion a while back and decided it to try, hoping that it wouldn't cause immediate reversion like water based products. I also applied mist of African Pride Braid sheen spray, and some S&B Botanicals 3-n-1 Dry scalp treatment + Vaseline to my ends. I braid my hair into two plaits and go to bed. Well, what do you KNOW!? I wake up with the softest, most luxurious, tangle-free braid out ever :blush: :lol:. My hair actually feels stronger. And even better, my hair didn't revert (although I usually have no problem applying small amounts of water based moisturizers).

I also notice that with my younger natural cousins with WL+ hair whose hair is usually kept stretched in braids or pressed , petroleum based products seem to really agree with their hair.

So does your hair seem to respond better to petroleum or oil based products when stretched or pressed? If so, what do you think is the mechanism behind this? Do you believe that they can strengthen your hair? I tried to break one of my shed strands after applying the above products and it was actually kind of hard to do....which is unheard of for my fine hair! Prior to that, my hair would snap easily and felt rather brittle.

So does your hair seem to respond better to petroleum or oil based products when stretched or pressed? yes. i much prefer using pressing oil to a serum when straightening my hair.
If so, what do you think is the mechanism behind this? i have fine fly away hair so the petroleum is an extra coating of protection that locks moisture in and gives the hair extra weight.
Do you believe that they can strengthen your hair? strengthen? id doubt it. its not a protein. maybe the coating helps the hair feel more durable?
I tried to break one of my shed strands after applying the above products and it was actually kind of hard to do....which is unheard of for my fine hair! Prior to that, my hair would snap easily and felt rather brittle.
when i use serums my hair always feel dry and brittle but when i use grease it feels smooth and luxurious. plus its extra shiny. i dont know the scientific mumbo jumbo but it works for me
yep.gif

Back