Naturals, do you detangle with shampoo or co?

Innocent_Kiss

I've heard people say they usually detangle with conditioner. However, lately, I've heard a lot of naturals detangling with shampoo. Which do you detangle with and why?

For my no-pooers just substitute the word shampoo for cleaner. If you use conditioner to clean then substitute conditioner for deep conditioner. Did that make any sense ..at all?
laugh.gif

my first round of detangling is on dry hair. I just go through it with my fingers and finger comb and try to find any knots. Then I detangle with conditioner... I find that the slipperiness and softening that conditioner does to hair helps me get my fingers and the brush through it better

well, i noticed in a couple of ladies albums that they do it during shampoo and i thought id try...i like it! so thats my method from now on...when i shampoo, i detangle with shampoo...but when i co wash, i do it with condtioner...

the slip is different....im not sure how to explain it, maybe one of our more eloquent sistas can put it better than me...
~T~

First I detangle with conditioner and water in a spray bottle. Then after my shampoo and conditioner I remove any remaining with Infusium leave-in in a spray bottle. Q

Last edited:
I detangle either on conditioned hair in the shower or a leave in after I get out of the shower.

both (shampoo & conditioner), but most of the time I use conditioner. To be honest, I think my hair comes out better with shampoo though. I recently used Kenra Moisturizing Shampoo and my hair came out soft and silky after the detangling.

I have been detangling with shampoo for a while.

I started doing it this way because my napps were causing some serious drain clogs. When I detangle during the shampoo process all of the hair goes into my brush and not into the drain.

Condition washes... I detangled with my yellow wide tooth comb, then started using my Sally's brush, then moved onto my new Denman brush, then finally as of this week I started using my old & dusty comb w/4" long teeth which does WONDERS in detangling my much longer hair (the Denman started giving me cramps), and makes my waves pop when doing the scarf trick.

With shampoo... I only do this when washing my hair with AVEDA Curressence, a dime size of this stuff does a great job of infusing enough moisture & strenght into my hair for detangling.

Back