Naturals - CG Method Anyone?

Qurlyqt

Anyone here try the CG Method? I'm considering trying it because haven't liked how my hair is "feeling" lately. I don't want to blame everything on henna :rolleyes: so now I'm evaluating my products to see if that makes a difference.

I purchased the Curly Girl book years ago, thumbed through it this past weekend, and wanted your feedback. Has it helped the condition of your hair? How long before you saw a change? I understand the conditioner aspect but unsure about which clear gel is best? Or if all clear gels are CG friendly as long as they are alcohol free? :confused:

I have the Curly Girl book. I purchased it years ago (around the time when I first went natural), and think I tried to follow it some back then. But I like using commercial products, rather than whipping up my own. So I fell off using the book pretty soon.

I think the biggest tip I took from the book (that I can recall) is being very gentle with my hair when washing it. I use to pile my hair on top of my hair when shampooing and swirl it all around. With curly hair this equals tangles.

Plus, I think the book was really for white people with curly hair. In the small section dedicated to black curly hair, the main tips the book seemed to have were doing straw sets, and I think it even suggested maybe using a texturizer.

I'm slowly morphing my regimen to a modified CG regimen. My hair took some getting used to low/no cone but now I found conditioners that work I prefer the feel of low/no cone condishes on my hair. The ones that work really well for me are aussie moist, aussie 3 min miracle, and trader joe nourish spa shampoo and condish. I bought bed head moisture maniac but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. The only CG gel I've tried is ecostyler clear gel and I like it a lot. I'm not sure if KCCC falls under CG (I think it does) but I like it a lot

ETA my favorite thing about it is I find I have a lot less build up which my hair seems to like. A couple of products I use do have cones (chi silk infusion) but the bulk of my products now don't

Last edited:
CG is cone free right? Well here's a site I ran across that had commercial cone free product list

http://healthycurls.awardspace.com/cone-free.html

As for gels I only use Aloe vera so I can't help you with that. As long as the gel doesn't contain any silicones you should be fine though.
And for thos that don't know here's a site that tells what CG and how to go through with it as well as some useful links

http://dormroomcurly.blogspot.com/2008/12/style-definitions-table.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_4619919_curly-girl-hair-care-method.html

I've been doing CG for the last 3 months.

The book was rubbish. Not helpful for any hair 3c and up. I gave it away.

However, I found a lot of helpful tips on the Naturally Curly Forum and they have separate boards for 4a and 4b hair. I am a unreformed PJ and there are LOADS of products out there that are CG. You don't have to mix your your own and I don't think most people do.

Does going CG make a difference? Well, Co-washing at least is a keeper for me. If I shampoo now, it will only be with sulfate-free products and it has made conditioning my hair much easier and lasting.

Avoiding cones is difficult tho, as they are in almost everything!

I was CG or modified (shampooed occasionally) CG for almost 3 years and it did my hair a lot of good. I recently fell off the CG wagon, but I may go back on. Once I stopped using sulfate shampoos and anti-humectants like silicone, year after year my hair began to absorb moisture and be more hydrated. That helps with growth.

I'm slowly morphing my regimen to a modified CG regimen. My hair took some getting used to low/no cone but now I found conditioners that work I prefer the feel of low/no cone condishes on my hair. The ones that work really well for me are aussie moist, aussie 3 min miracle, and trader joe nourish spa shampoo and condish. I bought bed head moisture maniac but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. The only CG gel I've tried is ecostyler clear gel and I like it a lot. I'm not sure if KCCC falls under CG (I think it does) but I like it a lot

ETA my favorite thing about it is I find I have a lot less build up which my hair seems to like. A couple of products I use do have cones (chi silk infusion) but the bulk of my products now don't

I thought the Aussie Moist and the TIGI MM have cones? Those are two of my favorites and I thought I'd have to do away with them. No?

Ecostyler is CG friendly? I just used the last of my jar and thought I'd have to replace it as well.

I thought the Aussie Moist and the TIGI MM have cones? Those are two of my favorites and I thought I'd have to do away with them. No?

Ecostyler is CG friendly? I just used the last of my jar and thought I'd have to replace it as well.

Can't comment on the Aussie or ecostyler but i know that the TIGI MM is indeed CG. As far as I'm aware the presence of alcohols don't determine CG, just cones and sulfates.

Can't comment on the Aussie or ecostyler but i know that the TIGI MM is indeed CG. As far as I'm aware the presence of alcohols don't determine CG, just cones and sulfates.
And -- some cones are water soluble, although most are non-water soluble. Conditioners with water soluble cones can be co-washed out.

I have been CG for almost a year now, and I love it! I feel like my hair is in better condition overall and truthfully, there are tons of products to use and try so finding some new staples can be a fun adventure.

I haven't read the book, but I second checking out www.naturallycurly.com I really learned a lot there. I've been loving Aubrey Organics conditioners and KCCC, I also like smooth-n- shine activator gel when I'm watching my pennies.

There was an adjustment period for my scalp when i switched to cowashing. I felt like I had the itchies for a spell, but once that passed it's really been nice.

I am a modified CG...I try to stay away from most cones, mineral oil and parabens but if it is as the bottom of the ingredient list I wont have a cow:lachen:. I use mostly commercial products as well.

I have dabbled in a modified CG routine. Sometimes, I just use what I have and go. However, my hair behaves better the longer I am on a modified CG routine. I will use certain surfacants for cleansing while running from others. It is a rare occassion that I use SLS or even have to for that matter.

Here is a good wikihow article it includes CG and modified CG info on ingredients, methods, etc. http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair

I know when spring arrives I will do CG for 6 months. My wng behaves better the further I am away from harsh poos, non-water soluble cones, quats, waxes and xanes.

ETA: Go ahead and blame your issues on Henna. It has its benefits but required too much attention (moisturizing DC with heat). My hennaed sections are frizzier and react poorly to certain products. Luckily I am over 2 1/4 years post henna and will cut the rest out sometime this year.

ETA: I also think hennaed hair would benefit from a cone-free routine and anything else that blocks out moisture.

Last edited:
I use a modified CG approach. No mineral oil, no cones of any kind. I use mostly organic products-Aubrey, Giovanni, Qhemet and my 3C hair has never been longer or healthier. All my life I couldn't figure out why my hair was always dry- it ws the cone buildup. It really depends on your hair but a CG trial couldn't hurt:)

Curly Girl book

Well this may or may not be helpful because I have the tight stuff, but using her method of washing and using co washes have transformed my wash days from dealing with a tangled messy chore which I dreaded to a pleasure I look forward to. I had the book for a few years before actually trying it but I'm glad I did.
Anywho, once I stopped using the poo all the time (I still do but sparingly), my hair strands feel much smoother without having to saturate with a ton of products. <--eventually over time. And detangling is much faster and easier.
I haven't looked at the book in a year or so, so I don't remember a lot but I have recommended it to curly heads who have come back saying many of her tips were very helpful.

Blessings

Last edited:
Okay, I'm going to go ahead and use up the products I have :blush: and try to go the CurlyGirl route (hope that will be by the time I finish this bun challenge). :yep:

Back