Naturals-brushing your wet hair for ponytails/buns?

PhonyBaloney500

Do any naturals brush their hair when it's wet for their ponytails/buns? I've done this for years and I suppose it's bad lol!

Any tips on good hold while using prodcuts that aren't quite so damaging? (Lord knows I used to use some horrible alcohol-filled styling gel which made my hair gummy but I've learned since then lol).

Also I assume using a real boar bristle brush would be a good idea! ;)

I use Denman brushes. They're not boar bristles, but they smooth the hair very nicely. They work very well on my daughter's naturals as well. CHeck them out @ Sally's.

I would also suggest investing in a Denman brush. I use mine everyday on wet hair for smoothing. When my hair isn't wet, I use my denman and a boar's bristle brush along with aloe vera gel for a smooth finish. :)

Armyqt said:
I use Denman brushes. They're not boar bristles, but they smooth the hair very nicely. They work very well on my daughter's naturals as well. CHeck them out @ Sally's.

Hmm I thought the Denman's were just for detangling!

I plan to FINALLY go to Sally's tomorrow for the first time ever--tried today but I didn't make it in time. :(

PhonyBaloney500 said:
Hmm I thought the Denman's were just for detangling!

I plan to FINALLY go to Sally's tomorrow for the first time ever--tried today but I didn't make it in time. :(

There are different sizes. I have 3 of them. :)

I never use a brush. I use a fine-tooth bone comb and my hands in order to smooth my hair. I do have a denman brush and may give that a try sometime.

Which Denman brush?

Denman 9-Row Classic Styler D4
• Denman Classic Styling Brush D-3
• Denman D12 3-Row Styling Comb
• Denman Freeflow Styling Brush
• Denman Heavyweight Styling Brush
• Denman Paddle Cushion Brush
• Denman Small Paddle Brush
• Denman Thermoceramic Radial Round Brush

Thanks Armyqt, Kha, and Hairlove! :)

When my hair is still damp/wet (not dripping wet) and I comb it I usually use a fine tooth comb and it always worked fine for me. The boar bristle brushes don't do that much for me. I need either a paddle brush or a comb since my hair is thick and I like for the comb/brush to go through my whole hair instead of just smoothing the top...but that's just me:)

NAY007 said:
When my hair is still damp/wet (not dripping wet) and I comb it I usually use a fine tooth comb and it always worked fine for me. The boar bristle brushes don't do that much for me. I need either a paddle brush or a comb since my hair is thick and I like for the comb/brush to go through my whole hair instead of just smoothing the top...but that's just me:)

Cool I'll try that as well! :)

I use my Denman brush on my wet hair to pull it back in the puff. I then use mango butter and EQP glaze to smooth it down.

OK got THE D4 and the D84, then realized that the latter is missing a "bristle." Argh! I also got a regular boar's bristle brush as I lost one of my brushes AND I don't know whether any are pure boar's bristle.

Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Bellydancer! You've got a lot of hair, love the length!! As a 4a/b Natural head too, I'm inspired!!

I think it depends on what hair texture you have. My hair is very soft and fine (spongy/cottony) so using the Denman on my wet hair eventually stretched the strands way too much, eventually tearing my hair. I was absolutely loving it in the shower with my Milk & Honey conditioner, my hair came out so smooth and beautiful. I'm months into the process of regrowing my hair =(

I guess I'll need to invest in a Denman brush soon!

I have a boar bristle brush (the brand is Scunci). I don't think it's a pure boar bristle but I'm not sure and don't see why it really matters. Will that do fine for smoothing edges???

Last edited:
I use my Denman too on wet hair.
Sometimes I use a boar bristle brush afterwards to smooth it a little more.

I had a fake denman (goody) brush but i stopped using it. The only brush i use now is a boar bristle brush for smoothing my edges.

I still use a boar bristle brush too, but it's soft. I didn't like the Denman Brush the bristles aren't tight enough.

I am transitioning but I got mad new growth. Yeah, I brush it when its wet to put it into a ponytale and tie and down, but I real don't lose much hair doing it.

I have one of them denman brushes or whatever back home but I only used it when I was wearing loose hair extensions.

I really have not used it on my real hair.

Denman all the way!!! I brush my hair once a month in the shower when it is full of water and conditioner.

Back