Naturals and twist outs -- please comment

lwilliams1922

I'm a 4a that deals with dryness. I've learned over the last few years things that my hairs likes and dislikes; no poo, lots of conditioner (and oil mix) leave in, glycerin ONLY in the summer.

I've settled into the routine of 4 braids after cleansing, then 10 twists on most days and the twist out once or twice a week.

Here is my question...

How many people use some type of holding product in their twist/twist out?
In the past I've avoided any type of holding product for fear of added dryness.

Is there a product (purchased or natural) that will give some hold to extend the twist out while maintaining the moisture (that is in such short supply with my hair)? I do retwist (adding more leave-in moisture) at night and cover but many times by the end of the day my curls begin to frizz up and out.

Any suggestions?

Flaxseed gel. Using it on my braid out right now. I make a batch of flaxseed gel about once every 4 days. Its the most amazing holding product I've had and I've tried many others including Eco-style gel. Flaxseed gel gave me the hold without all the dryness and no flaking. It also gives me beautiful WnGs and will hold all day. And its all natural and I can wash it out with water. If you cant tell I love me so flaxseed gel.

Here is my question...

How many people use some type of holding product in their twist/twist out??
I do

Is there a product (purchased or natural) that will give some hold to extend the twist out while maintaining the moisture (that is in such short supply with my hair)? I do retwist (adding more leave-in moisture) at night and cover but many times by the end of the day my curls begin to frizz up and out. Any suggestions?

Flax seed gel

Flaxseed gel. Using it on my braid out right now. I make a batch of flaxseed gel about once every 4 days. Its the most amazing holding product I've had and I've tried many others including Eco-style gel. Flaxseed gel gave me the hold without all the dryness and no flaking. It also gives me beautiful WnGs and will hold all day. And its all natural and I can wash it out with water. If you cant tell I love me so flaxseed gel.

YUP! FSG is my staple. I make mine w/ 1/4 cp flax seeds to 1.5 cup water and once it's cooled a bit, I add 1/2 cup water. I adapted the recipe from "naptural85" on youtube.

I really don't deal with dryness issues. I apply my product when my hair is damp. If it starts to dry, I mist with water, apply my water based leave-in, then the fsg, and seal with a butter. Then I style in twists or a bun. I let the shower steam get to my hair when I shower, and mist for good measure (focusing on my ends) and re-seal (ie.water, water based leave-in and oil) once every 3-5 days and I have no issues. My hair is soft and the ends stay curled. Lately it's been 90+ out here, so I am misting more often, but my hair is still happy.

Yep flaxseed gel. Made some today super fresh with essential oils and aloe vera gel. Gave me a great hold on damp hair and I washed some of it out tonite. Also, mango butter gives a great hold on certain styles.

Yep.. co-signing with all the ladies on the flaxseed gel...its the best... I use 1/4 cup flaxseeds to 2 cups water but I boil with one cup...strain gel out then boil the same seeds with another cup of water.

I use my moisturizing spirtz (containing glycerine and aloe juice) then a heavy butter (shea butter,coconut, grapeseed, safflower,castor) then my gel on top...

If you don't want the fuss of making your own gel... you can just use normal hair gel mixed with curl activator gel.

Water, leave in and Shea butter is all I use for my twist outs and I never have to retwist at night for at least 3 days. I tried crisco in place of the Shea butter a few times but the Shea butter worked better. In the morning, i just oil my hand lightly and run it through the twist out lightly and i'm all set for the day. It doesn't frizz out and lays in the direction i want it to lay. My Shea butter mix contains olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, grapeseed oil and of course Shea butter.

Surprising, I get good definition and hold for my twist outs using only conditioner (Suave Almond and Shea butter) and sealing with an oil (olive oil). Gel is a must for my wash and gos so I was surprised to find it wasn't needed for twist outs.

What leave in/conditioner are you using? How generous are you with it? You could also try Ecostyler.

Last edited:
I use a thick leave in like pura body murumuru moisture milk or Qhemet BRBC/AOHC under suave max hold sculpting gel result is soft but defined twistout.

hmmmm looks like I need to making me some flaxseed gel

i get the best twist and twist-outs from using only conditioner, i have tried shea butter recently but my twist were not as good.

I use creams and pomades for twists and twist outs. They don't have hold, but my twist outs have good hold and definition because I keep the twists in for a few days.

I also use Barry Fletcher's Twist Like This Herbal. It provides hold based on the amount that is used. The more you use, the more hold you will have. I use a leave-in under it because it is slightly sticky on my fingers, and I didn't want that to transfer to my hair.

Back