NATURALS AND TRIMING

writtenthought

Any Naturals not trim at all. I know I have a few small splits in my hair. But I would like to not trim until I reach my goal just to see if I can really get 6". If I can get 6 I wouldn't mind having to trim one full inch at the end of the year. I;m wearing protective styles buns, twist. And moisture my hair with castor oil, evoo, water and conditoner every day. What do you think?

If it works for you some peole can get away with it some cannot.:ohwell:

I ususally trim my own hair about once every 3-4 months I trimmed it the saturday prior to new years. My hair is still thriving even with some of the split ends but I prefer for them to be off.

I'm patient I would murch rather have a health 6 inches of hair than 6 inches of hair splitting every which way and eventually having to cut it off.

I am doing away with trimming.

I am going to be only dusting as needed...put my hair in twists and dust the minimum as my ends need to be addressed.

But curly hair in general doesn't need trimming like straight or relaxed hair. I do know naturals that get trims once or twice a year.

I think Ive suffered from not trimming. I think the splits crawled up the hair shaft. Also if you plan to wear any straight styles they will be glaringly obvious.

I am going to be only dusting as needed...put my hair in twists and dust the minimum as my ends need to be addressed.

But curly hair in general doesn't need trimming like straight or relaxed hair. I do know naturals that get trims once or twice a year.
ur hair is beautiful:yep:

I trim my hair as needed. Last year in february I had to trim about 1/4 inch off in the front only due to splits. And this past december, I trimmed an inch off all over due to split ends. If you're wearing protective styles and keeping your ends tucked away then I wouldn't trim. Just continue to moisturize and seal to keep the ends strong.

Thanks. only the very tip of some strands are split now. i'm mean like I can't even measure it not even a centimeter. I really want to do the once a year 1 inch trim.

I don't trim. But I wear my hair in protective styles nearly all of the time and don't use heat. I have a plan to maybe trim in July, which will make three years since my last cut. I think whether you can get away without trimming or not has a lot to do with what you do with your hair/how you wear it.

Don't mind me... just drooling over your hair girl :)

OP: I trim only when necessary. About 3 or 4 times a year... If I see splits, I get them though :armyhat:

Well I havnt cut/trimmed my hair since my big chop! And that was way back in..June 06? LOL! So it's been a year and 7 months ? My ends are pretty dry and uneven due to the color and natural dryness of my hair so I plan on cutting around 2 inches off pretty soon! The less I straighten my hair the easier it is for me to go without cutting it because the ends don't bother me as much when it's curly ( because I don't have to look at them constantly! lol)

I trim only once every 6 months. That is when I get my hair pressed. I usually get like an inch cut off each time. HTH Q

I haven't trimmed since Feb 07, when I cut off the last of my bleached/colored hair, and as of right now, I have no intentions of trimming anytime soon - I don't even know where my scissors are... :lol:

BUMPING FOR MORE RESPONSE. MY HAIR IS SO HEALTHY NOW BUT I STILL HAVE SPLITS. IT SCARES ME TO THINK THAT SPLITS WILL TRAVEL ALL THE WAY UP IS THAT POSSIABLE HERE IS MY ROUTINE.

I WASH MY HAIR EVERY WEEK AND DC WITH PANTENE BREAKAGE DEFENSE MASK OR THE RESTORIVES
EVERY 6 WEEKS I DO AN APHOGEE PROTEIN TREATMENT
I MOISTURIZE EVERY OTHER DAY WITH A CASTOR OIL SHEA BUTTER MIX
I ALSO CLARIFY EVERY 2 WEEKS WITH ACV
I SLEEP WITH A STAIN SCARF ON A STAIN PILLOW
I WEAR BRAID OUT'S IN BUNS MY HAIR IS NEVER DOWN

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG. I HAVE MID STRAND SPLITS . MOST OF MY ENDS ARE NOT SPLIT AT THE ENDS BUT A LIL WAYS UP. I DON'T WANT TO SHAVE MY HEAD . SO WHAT CAN I DO? HELPPPPP!!!!!:(

My hair has not been trimmed since august and since I am doing the bootcamp, I am not trimming until after the challenge is over.

I have not trimmed since march and I am schedule to go for one this weekend, I am not happy. I feel like all my work is gone down the drain and I won't make armpit this April after all. I keep moving the date its seems impossible. But anyway I was told my ends are very thin and they need to go. I might be losing an inch I hate that. I am going to the shop to get it done i was going to do it myself but I can't see my back that good so to the shop I go and hopefully they want cut all my hair down. I trust the girl to only take off an inch.

Right now I trim every 12 weeks. This is when I straighten my hair to check for split ends. :yep: If nothing else, I will dust them in the future as my hair is "finally" corrected from years of abuse from hairdressers. :yep:

I've never seen a split longer than 1/2 inch *pauses to check ruler* 1/4 of an inch long in my hair - and I've seen my hair with triple splits on a single strand.

If you think about it, most splits aren't 'perfectly' in the middle of the strand of hair - they start off center, as it is, because it's caused by the cuticle (which is the outermost layer) breaking away.... A strand of hair isn't that thick, so when the split starts off center, it's going to travel part of the way up the strand, and then break away, because there won't be enough 'hair' attached to hold the split side onto the strand side.

I suspect that split hairs are the reason for MOST of my breakage - esp. the really tiny, super fine looking hairs.

I've always heard that 'splits will travel all the way up your strand', but I really don't see how that's possible....

Thanks. I plan on trimming once or 2x a year or dusting every couple of months . I was just wondering if they would travel up.

I get a trim twice a year when I get it straightened, and dust every 12 weeks. My ends are thick with hardly any splits. This year, I will only dust every 12 weeks and no trims. I want to see if I can keep most of my progress.

i don't really trim, i just do occassional dusting. my bc was almost 2yrs ago. as long as you keep your hair moisturized, wear protective styles most of the time, & keep heat to a minimum, you should be good for yearly trimming.

Back