Naturals and Transitioners.. I Need Advice!!

danigurl18

I've been transitioning since August 07 and my original goal was to transition for 24 months before I do the BC. Do you think that this is reachable and what are some ways that I can deal with my hair during this time??

YOU CAN DO IT! I transitioned to SL natural hair in 4 1/2 years with braids*edited to add(I started with APL relaxed hair). If I would have known about this place I would have longer hair. Try braids, corn rows, twist outs, etc. Look at this time as practicing natural styles so when you're 100% natural you'll already be ahead of the game. That's more than I had. I'm just now learning how to care for my natural hair and I'm loving it. I'll only do twists or braids for half the year(or less bcuz I'm loving this mane!) instead of 3/4 of the year. GOOD LUCK!

I transitioned for 2 1/2 years
doing various protective styles
you can check out my album (link in siggie)
for style ideas

You can do it! I am 64 weeks post right now, 15 months on April 10.The first six months I went to a stylist. She help nurse my hair and scalp back to health using deep conditioning with steam and; and then blowdry and flatiron. From July 28 until December 7 I had 2 sets of twists extensitons. I literally did not have any problems until I got sick over xmas, a combination of things comtributed to some breakage. I really have enjoyed watching my hair go through different stages, but truthfully the more it changes the more I want to Chop.
I am sure you have heard "pay attention to what your hair tells you to do", and your transiton will work out fine. It was not all easy IMHO detangling is the worst part, but just be gental. Find the products that work for your hair and Keep It Simple Sister.
Sorry for the long post.

YOU CAN DO IT! I transitioned to SL natural hair in 4 1/2 years with braids*edited to add(I started with APL relaxed hair). If I would have known about this place I would have longer hair. Try braids, corn rows, twist outs, etc. Look at this time as practicing natural styles so when you're 100% natural you'll already be ahead of the game. That's more than I had. I'm just now learning how to care for my natural hair and I'm loving it. I'll only do twists or braids for half the year(or less bcuz I'm loving this mane!) instead of 3/4 of the year. GOOD LUCK!

Wow 4.5 years is a long time!! I was thinking I was gonna do a little braids and kinky twist personal challenge until August and then start experimenting since I'll be 1 year then... Your hair is really beautiful!

Yeah, I know that sounds long, but take into consideration that I would take my braids down and try to take care of it for it all to shed out and had bald spots. This was not 4 1/2 years of healthy knowledgeable growing. If I would have been here, my hair would be at least past BSL unstretched. This is why I'm so pumped now to keep growing. I now know why my hair would fall out, my hair hated cones and I would slather my hair in pink oil moisturizer and the like. Then wonder why my hair would blow out in the wind and I had hair all over the back of my shirt and all over my bathroom floor. So IT WON'T TAKE YOU THAT LONG! You have knowledge I didn't have! You're lucky!!!!

I've been transitioning since September 07. I've been doing twistouts. I'm going to try Curlformers this weekend and see how I do with those.

I plan to transition for at least 2 years, probably 3.

Dang, ya'll are some hardcore transitiioners! I can't hang with ya!:nono::lachen:

:lachen:I'm sorry I couldn't help it. To answer the question it can be done, there are several members on this board who have transitioned for 2+ years. Actually come to think of it my aunt and mother grow there relaxer out for two years also. Personally I only lasted 11 months, I couldn't do it anymore.

Just so happens a few minutes ago my friend said that I would look great with a TWA and I should cut the relaxed parts now before all my hair falls off!!:lachen: I kindly explained to her that I am taking care of my hair properly so my hair will not fall out and it will continue to grow as it was before. She looked at me like I was crazy :spinning: I guess they were right when they said Ignorance is Bliss lol

Back