Naturals and hair dye/rinses

Aubergold

Do any naturals (esp type 4s) use rinses or dye on your hair. I really want my hair to be almost blue black but I'm not sure which one(s) to use. Also do you get any type of shine from rinses?

TIA

RIG I suggest you stay away from the perm dye unless you want to spend your life moisturizing it. I hate the fact that I dyed my hair even though it was awhile ago I'm still lamenting it b/c my ends have the color and if I don't stay on top of the moisturizing they start to break

I'se scared to dye or color it! :eek:

Some people have used Aveda, Robert Craig, henna, Bigen, and some Dark and Lovely color (can't remember brand) with good results.

My mother is loc'd and she uses Bigen (on my recommendation). She moisturizes her hair with a moisture spritz every day. Seems to work for her, but she's not that dilligent about taking care of her hair. :look:

Wildchild453 said:
RIG I suggest you stay away from the perm dye unless you want to spend your life moisturizing it. I hate the fact that I dyed my hair even though it was awhile ago I'm still lamenting it b/c my ends have the color and if I don't stay on top of the moisturizing they start to break

ok no permanent dye. thanks hun!

RavenIvygurl said:
Do any naturals (esp type 4s) use rinses or dye on your hair. I really want my hair to be almost blue black but I'm not sure which one(s) to use. Also do you get any type of shine from rinses?

TIA

I do. I will not do a permanent dye, but I will rinse it in a minute! I have dark dusty brown hair naturally that tends to look dull, so I like to take my hair black. I use Adore Extra Conditioning Semi-Permanent Rinse (I use Velvet Black). I like Semi-Permanent because it is gentle and non-damaging. Also, it is not really permanent, it just lasts longer than a normal rinse. It lasts anywhere from a month and 1/2 to 3 months. This is how it looks.
texasbeautysupplycom_1925_840908
Adore makes a rinse in a white bottle too, but I don't like that one very much. It makes my hair rough. The one above is good though. I leaves my hair really soft and shiny, and it takes very well if you follow the directions. It is my favorite. I hear Sebastian's Colour Shines is good on the pricier end, but I have not tried it yet (trying not to spend so much on hair products). But for a cheap product($3-$4), it works exceptionally well. I really love my results. Here is a picture of my natural hair roller set and flat ironed after using it (I think I posted this pic somewhere else... oh well)

210513328.jpg

Happy Hair Rinsing :weird:

Last edited:
songbyrd517 said:
I do. I will not do a permanent dye, but I will rinse it in a minute! I have dark dusty brown hair naturally that tends to look dull, so I like to take my hair black. I use Adore Extra Conditioning Semi-Permanent Rinse (I use Velvet Black). I like Semi-Permanent because it is gentle and non-damaging. Also, it is not really permanent, it just lasts longer than a normal rinse. It lasts anywhere from a month and 1/2 to 3 months. This is how it looks.
texasbeautysupplycom_1925_840908
Adore makes a rinse in a white bottle too, but I don't like that one very much. It makes my hair rough. The one above is good though. I leaves my hair really soft and shiny, and it takes very well if you follow the directions. It is my favorite. I hear Sebastian's Colour Shines is good on the pricier end, but I have not tried it yet (trying not to spend so much on hair products). But for a cheap product($3-$4), it works exceptionally well. I really love my results. Here is a picture of my natural hair roller set and flat ironed after using it (I think I posted this pic somewhere else... oh well)

210513328.jpg

Happy Hair Rinsing :weird:

This is amazing and exactly the color I want!!! Thanks

RavenIvygurl said:
This is amazing and exactly the color I want!!! Thanks

You are very welcome! ;)

LocksOfLuV said:
Me too, Song Byrd where did you get yours from?

I got mine from a normal beauty supply (in the 'hood'). It is tricky though, because I am used to seeing the Adore in the white bottle more often (I HATE that one!). I see this one a little less, but most normal beauty supply stores will have it, and maybe even Sally. If you can't find it, I am sure you could probably order it online from somewhere :yep:

songbyrd517 said:
You are very welcome! ;)

I got mine from a normal beauty supply (in the 'hood'). It is tricky though, because I am used to seeing the Adore in the white bottle more often (I HATE that one!). I see this one a little less, but most normal beauty supply stores will have it, and maybe even Sally. If you can't find it, I am sure you could probably order it online from somewhere :yep:

Okay thanks, I know for a fact that my BSS has the white bottle, but I am gonna scrummage around for this blue bottle. Thanks so much!

songbyrd517 said:
You are very welcome! ;)

Song byrd, have you experienced any drying or other slightly adverse effects from using this dye? How often do you use it?

I love the color so much, is it blue when you're under the sun?

RIG, I know you did henna/indigo and didn't get the dark hair that you wanted. I suggest trying it again. I didn't really see the results I wanted after the first time but since doing about 4 treatments, my hair is BLACK.

I dye my hair using Natural Instincts by Clairol. It is a level 2 color and last 28 shampoos. Rinse didn't work for me because I have some grey to cover and it would wash out too fast. I have had very good results with Natural Intincts--it has a good conditioner in the kit too. I do believe with any coloring products you have to compensate for extra dryness -so I deep condition it often. I also use the ph balance conditioner by Roux right before coloring to keep my hair in good shape. I use the Egyptian Plum color.

I agree w/the other ladies, please don't do a permanent color unless you have no other choice. Other than relaxing it is the worst thing I ever did to my hair.

RavenIvygurl said:
Song byrd, have you experienced any drying or other slightly adverse effects from using this dye? How often do you use it?

I love the color so much, is it blue when you're under the sun?

:scratchch Actually, I haven't. It says it is an extra conditioning formula, and they are telling the truth. It doesn't dry my hair at all. I try not to rinse my hair any more than once every three months. It usually lasts at least 2. I am not sure if it is blue under the sun - I never really paid attention. It is extremely shiny though :yep: I would look for you, but my hair is braided right now. By the way, I used Velvet Black because my skin is really warm and reddish, so I didn't want to make it too cold of a black. They do have a shade darker though, Jet Black, and that one may be more bluish. You would have to look and see which shade is closer to what you're looking for.

LocksOfLuV said:
Okay thanks, I know for a fact that my BSS has the white bottle, but I am gonna scrummage around for this blue bottle. Thanks so much!

hey Locks, I haven't gone to the BSS yet but I did find it online. It's really cheap.

http://texasbeautysupplycom.stores.yahoo.net/adp398.html

http://www.beautymajor.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=9112

Here are the ingredients:
INGREDIENTS: WATER (AQUA), PEG 50 TALLOWAMIDE, TOCOPHEROL ACETATE (VITAMIN E), LAUREL GLUCOSIDE, ETHOXYDIGLYCOL TETRASODIUM EDTA, GLYCERIN (VEGEN), PROPYLENE GLYCOL, POLYQUATERNIUM 10, SIMETHICONE, TRIETHANOLAMINE, HYDROLZED WHEAT PROTEIN, ALOE VERA, (ALOE BARBADENSIS GEL), CHAMOMILE, GRAPEFRUIT, GINSENG, GREEN TEA.

Last edited:
keluric said:
RIG, I know you did henna/indigo and didn't get the dark hair that you wanted. I suggest trying it again. I didn't really see the results I wanted after the first time but since doing about 4 treatments, my hair is BLACK.

Thanks babe. I know I should do this but I'm so lazy and it smells!:lol:

I've used a permanent colour twice. First when i BCed (a browny colour) and then again when it started looking pooey to get it jet black, they were both fructis colours in the green box from the chemist/drugstore. My hair's not dry at all and it's not suffering any adverse effects. I didn't leave the dye on very long tho, only about 20 minutes. I tried rinses but they never took to my hair, relaxed or natural. I got the indigo elasta qp colour that I put on OVER the lightened browny colour I had and I rinsed it out after processing but it was still the same :(

I guess it depends what you do with your hair daily after you colour it. I don't use heat because it makes my hair feel brittle, I moisturise in the mornings with elasta recovery and castor oil, wash sunday and co-wash tuesday/wednesday and that's it. It's pretty simple and moisture-full so maybe that's why.

Anyway, get colouring and post us results, u know we like pictures hehe

dimpalz said:
I've used a permanent colour twice. First when i BCed (a browny colour) and then again when it started looking pooey to get it jet black, they were both fructis colours in the green box from the chemist/drugstore. My hair's not dry at all and it's not suffering any adverse effects. I didn't leave the dye on very long tho, only about 20 minutes. I tried rinses but they never took to my hair, relaxed or natural. I got the indigo elasta qp colour that I put on OVER the lightened browny colour I had and I rinsed it out after processing but it was still the same :(

I guess it depends what you do with your hair daily after you colour it. I don't use heat because it makes my hair feel brittle, I moisturise in the mornings with elasta recovery and castor oil, wash sunday and co-wash tuesday/wednesday and that's it. It's pretty simple and moisture-full so maybe that's why.

Anyway, get colouring and post us results, u know we like pictures hehe

Thanks dimpalz! I will definitely post pics when i try it.

RavenIvygurl said:
hey Locks, I haven't gone to the BSS yet but I did find it online. It's really cheap.

http://texasbeautysupplycom.stores.yahoo.net/adp398.html

http://www.beautymajor.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=9112

Here are the ingredients:
INGREDIENTS: WATER (AQUA), PEG 50 TALLOWAMIDE, TOCOPHEROL ACETATE (VITAMIN E), LAUREL GLUCOSIDE, ETHOXYDIGLYCOL TETRASODIUM EDTA, GLYCERIN (VEGEN), PROPYLENE GLYCOL, POLYQUATERNIUM 10, SIMETHICONE, TRIETHANOLAMINE, HYDROLZED WHEAT PROTEIN, ALOE VERA, (ALOE BARBADENSIS GEL), CHAMOMILE, GRAPEFRUIT, GINSENG, GREEN TEA.

hey girl I went and got some. actually the one i got actually has more oils in the ingredients list, such as jojoba oil and stuff. it is the blue bottle and everything. it was cheap too and i am so glad Songbyrd told us about it. i got jet black (the darkest color) and i will try it next friday. i will def. bump up this thread to report my findings.

Back