*NATURALS* After BC, do you SHAPE-UP?

Adaj

I really don't know what to do w/ my hair. I am loving the BC, but it sort of looks funny. After I BC'ed, my cousin (stylist) told me to get my edges shaped-up. I don't know if everyone uses that term, but it's when the barber lines your edges/hairline and the back up for a nicer/clean look. For the ladies that have BC'ed, do you do this? Am I suppose to do it? :perplexed I have not because I thought it would mess my hairline up since I am just growing my hair out. It would be different if I wanted to maintain this low-cut.

Also, do you brush forward or backwards? I feel kind of *dumb*. My SO brushes his hair forward, so I've followed suit, but I don't like the way it looks. My SO's hair a low-fade (caesar cut, I guess) and it looks nice. Why doesn't my natural hair lay down like that? Am I making sense? :wallbash:

PLEASE HELP...TIA.

I always got a shape up after a BC. I continued for a few months after the inital chop, to keep a clean neck and edges until my hair grew out over my ears and nape.

I don't remember brushing my hair - I would wet it and scrunch it with gel and a little leave in though.

I don't think your BC looks funny at all, it's quite becoming, actually. You look very pretty in your pics.

see her hair line - this is shaped-up/lined-up - soft and feminine
images

Ive bcd about two months ago and i havent go a shape since. mainly because i love the way my edges look. I feel it looks more natural.

Attachments

• IMG00406-20100804-1244.jpg
    IMG00406-20100804-1244.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 25
When I had my hair cut as short as yours, I didn't shape up because I wasn't planning on keeping it short and I needed my hair to be the same length all around. Now if I were keeping it short, I might consider shaping it up.

Also about combing... When my hair was as short as yours, it didn't really lie any way so I'd just run a come through it in any direction. Front or back. If you're using a brush, it will of course make a difference. When my hair got a little longer, I'd wash, conditioner in the shower and comb/smooth backward. I thought that looked neat (kinda like a pulled back bun) even though I didn't have enough hair even for a phony puff. But that was a good way to keep the "short look" for a while until I had enough hair to show off in a puff.

bc 4/2010 my hair has grown really uneven but im hiding it under a wig till it grows out enough to do something with

I was a long term transitioner so I can't really say.. But I actually like the more natural look, and I think it might be easier to grow out if it's all one length.

I don't think your hair looks funny at all! From what I can see from your siggy it looks really good on you (not everybody can pull that off).

And as for your natural hair lying down, be prepared for ever bigger growing hair.. That's just what natural hair does. Depending on your texture, anyway.
You could try gel, but as I said, I think you look pretty with your hair just the way it is.

I always got a shape up after a BC. I continued for a few months after the inital chop, to keep a clean neck and edges until my hair grew out over my ears and nape.

I don't remember brushing my hair - I would wet it and scrunch it with gel and a little leave in though.

I don't think your BC looks funny at all, it's quite becoming, actually. You look very pretty in your pics.

Thanks for the compliment!

I was a long term transitioner so I can't really say.. But I actually like the more natural look, and I think it might be easier to grow out if it's all one length.

I don't think your hair looks funny at all! From what I can see from your siggy it looks really good on you (not everybody can pull that off).

And as for your natural hair lying down, be prepared for ever bigger growing hair.. That's just what natural hair does. Depending on your texture, anyway.
You could try gel, but as I said, I think you look pretty with your hair just the way it is.

Thanks for the compliment, I just thought maybe I wasn't doing something correctly for it to lie down.

OP, I think your hair looks really nice! Congrats on your BC!!

As far as whether or not you should shape it, it's really just a matter of personal preference. I used to shape my hairline years ago when I was wearing short, Halle Berry type hair styles, but when I BC'd I just let it be, in spite of my DH's urging for me to let him "shape it up." :rolleyes:

It can make the cut look neater, but I opted not to do it because I knew I'd have to keep doing it till my hair grew out some. Then I was thinking that the edges would look funny whenever I did start letting them grow out! :lachen: Again it's a matter of personal preference. And as far as brushing, I never brushed my hair when it was that short. Just co-washed it, put in some coconut oil, fluffed it a little with my fingers and went about my business. :yep:

I BC'd my sisters' hair and I didn't shape it up. I didn't want to make it look too masculine plus she has no intention to keep it short.

I didn't shape mine up as in a line up but I did get it shaped even all around. I have a widows peak and sometimes I shave that off but it grows back fast. In your case I would get a SOFT lineup just to get a cleaner look like Chrisette but don't allow anyone to line you up like a dude by placing the clipper blade hard on your head and moving it down.:nono:

I'd suggest a shape up only if you want to keep it short for a while and rock it low.

If your only goal is to grow that sucka out, then why shape it up?

I bc'ed someone's hair last week and I did not line them up or do a shape up. Mainly because I helped her transition for about a year so she had about 5 inches of hair (a mini fro). I just cut all the hairs straight up from the scalp (90 degree angle.)

If you don't intend on keeping it short, I'd bypass the line ups. It doesn't sound like you really want/need it IMHO.

Brush your hair in the direction of your natural growth pattern.

I used to go get my hair shaped up for about 8 months after I BC'd. After that I never bothered to continue with it.

Back