naturally straight to please

caringangel

I am new to the forum, I hace been natural for 9 months now. I am actually transitioning for fear of loosing my length. (My head is sooo big)

My husband asked me to please wear my hair straightened for church. At first it was like he unleeshed a demon. I was so angry, because my natural hair is apart of who I am. Then. I started to attempt to understand his point of view. I have 4A/4B hair. I have been wearing twists, buns, braidouts, etc. I straighten once a week on Saturday or Sunday, it lasts until tues. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make it last longer, any humectants I should use?

Humectants won't make your straight hair last longer. They actually attract moisture, which is not ideal for your situation. Sabino Moisture Block is good for blocking out the moisture. I heard you can get some bottles on ebay dirt cheap.

Even if you do that you want to be careful of using heat every week if you want to go back and forth from natural to straight. You run a high risk of heat damage.

Is there a way to compromise such as maybe two to three weeks straighten and two to three weeks natural. That way you won't be using heat so regularly.

I've heard people say that Mizani Thermasmooth helps their hair stay straight. If you buy the whole set (shampoo, conditioner, serum, and some kind of anti-frizz spray), it's pretty costly, but it might work for you.

I am new to the forum, I hace been natural for 9 months now. I am actually transitioning for fear of loosing my length. (My head is sooo big)

My husband asked me to please wear my hair straightened for church. At first it was like he unleeshed a demon. I was so angry, because my natural hair is apart of who I am. Then. I started to attempt to understand his point of view. I have 4A/4B hair. I have been wearing twists, buns, braidouts, etc. I straighten once a week on Saturday or Sunday, it lasts until tues. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make it last longer, any humectants I should use?

Firstly, the ladies have given you great suggestions in regards to how to keep your hair straight for longer periods of time.

@ the bolded:perplexed: What IS his point of view? Does he just want to see you in a different hairstyle (beacause you said that you've been wearing twists, buns, braidouts, etc.), or does he have a problem with your natural hair? I'm asking because I am trying not to assume the worst, but it really struck me when you made a point of noting that you have 4a/4b hair.

well how do you straighten your hair? the better the methods and products, the longer it will last

Erm...:perplexed Why is your husband so adamant that you straighten your hair for church? Jesus already knows what it looks like. :look:

Erm...:perplexed Why is your husband so adamant that you straighten your hair for church? Jesus already knows what it looks like. :look:

Thank you. I'm interested in what his viewpoint is too because I know that if it was me, that would rub me all kind of ways wrong.

This was my initial reaction also, but.....her husband, her home, her peace to keep. I'm not mad at her. My SO is a simple man and I love him, if all he asked of me was to straighten my hair every so often, I'd do my best to comply for him. As long as it didn't damage my hair.

Last edited:
Maybe it's his preference, or he wants to see her change it up a little more...

This was my initial reaction also, but.....her husband, her home, her peace to keep. I'm not mad at her. My SO is a simple man and I love him, if all he asked of me was to straighten my hair every so often, I'd do my best to comply for him. As long as it didn't damage my hair.

I totally understand him maybe wanting her to try a new style, or rock a different look every once in a while -- variety is the spice of life, after all. :grin:

I just find it kind of odd that he specified Church - the same as I'd feel if someone asked me to straighten my hair for Work. There's an implication that my regular natural hair isn't good enough or 'dressed up' enough and presentable enough for certain locales and situations. :ohwell:

'Course - that could be a moot point with the OP and her SO. Maybe he didn't mean it that way at all, and the mention of Church was a coincedence, and she does not by any means owe me (or anyone else) an explanation. But the fact that she mentioned her texture in her post kind of made me wonder.

Back