Naturalaxer, Copa, Kerasoft, Elucence, what else?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
G

Hello all.

I TRULY want to begin applying a texturizer on the new growth of my relaxed hair. The problem is, I don't know which one to choose, or where to begin. Does anyone know of a texturizer that has a good record, meaning that it is not damaging, and it can release the curl of my natural hair. Any help and experiences will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Whatever you do, DON'T USE COPA! It will make your hair turn green and fall out. There was a big lawsuit around that company. Scratch that off your list right now.

How much relaxed hair, vs how much new growth do you have? Usually people put texturizers on completely virgin or previously texturized hair. It wont make your hair straight, and you will have two different textures.
What look are you trying to acheive?

Thanks!

Copa had a lawsuit too!!!!! Whaaaaat! /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Anyways, I just got a relaxer on Saturday. But I told my hairdresser that I am going to switch to a wash and wear look. I am thinking about doing this in maybe 2-3 months when I have a sufficient amount of new growth. I don't mind the two different textures. I thank the person that created GEL! Besides if I gel my hair, the roots will be wavy while the hair is straight, which I know I would like.

But Copa had a lawsuit???? That's the one with Debbie Allen on it! I thought the terrible stuff was Rio?

My goodness.

Karonica,

Don't you dare believe all that hype about Copa. I tried that mess when I had a relaxer and my hair became so dry and started falling like crazy. My mother told me "You fool, I told you that mess was just like that RIO, you believe everything you see TV".

Try doing a search on Naturallycurly.Com for reviews of Naturalaxer. There was also a discussion of it at Blackhairstyles.net but some of the reviews sound spam-y to me.

I'm thinking about trying the Naturalaxer myself...

Carrot!!!!!!! where you been girl????

Anyways i used to use Bodihier which is similar to Natualaxer and I personally would stay away from it, because it does do a god job,but i find that you have to leave the cream on for a good length of time to get some sort of result and over time your hair feels so dry like the way a no-lye will make your hair feel. I still have some of it on my ends, not too much but it's noticeable when it dries.

Oh my. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thanks all for the help. I am definitely going to try out that link!

Hi Karonica,

Sorry, I didn't mean to be negative, I know you are just asking for help. Some of us are just trying to save you from losing your hair. Are there any over the counter relaxers that you would use oppose to buying the ones you have to order? Or is it you heard good things about these products and can't make a decision between the relaxers?

I haven't heard anything bad about this one. The only thing I remembered in one of the old forums is someone mentioning it didn't get their hair straight, other than that I haven't heard nothing really negative. I think it comes in several formulas.

Re: Naturalaxer, Copa, Kerasoft, Elucence, what el

there was someone on another board that i belong to that used the Naturalaxer for almost a year. at first she loved it. she even got kinda mad because everyone else didn't jump on the bandwagon. eventually, however, she said it damaged her hair after prolonged use. she ended up cutting it off and starting over.

i'm of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mindset. i'm not saying not to try other stuff... i don't think it should be this though. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

my two pennies...

adrienne

Yeah, you're right. Heheeee. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am just tired of straight hair, and would like to relax a little of my natural texture, but not a lot.

Karonica and HairFanatic, I don't know the ingredients for Naturalaxer, but just make sure that calcium hydroxide isn't one of them. That's the active ingredient in no lye relaxers, and that is what causes dryness over time.

Hey Karonica
Not that I am anti-relaxer or anything but since you are tired of straight hair why don't you just grow your hair out without using anything? What is your hair type? Have you been natural before? Do you know what your natural texture is like? And I don't just mean looking at your new growth. My hair is curly and my new growth never looked like it could be curly at all.
What I am saying is you may not even need a texturizer. there are so many products out there that help with shrinkage and smoothing down new growth.Gels, pomades, curl activators, all the new John Frieda products all are good ones to try when growing out your natural hair. Try it...you just may like it and not need a chemical to achive the look you want.
Again I am not anti-relaxer or trying to get folks to jump on the natural bandwagon. Just trying to point out that we become so dependent on chemicals and most of the time we don't need them
Valleygirl
Valleygirl

Karonica, have you read the posts on henna? I tried the homeade henna treatment last week and my new growth became very managable. After the second or third time, it is supposed to get a little straighter. If you try these treatment and they work well for you, I would encourage you to continue to use them until your hair grows out enough to be all natural. Then wait until the henna washes out and start from there. I think when changing the texture of the hair with any kind of chemical treatment, the best thing to do is to start with a clean slate....natrural hair.
Good luck on what you decide hun!!!

Thanks all!

VALLEYGIRL, is that really true? I saw your pics and your hair is REALLY curly, and you could never tell that by looking at your newgrowth? WOW! Now, I am tempted to just grow out natural! My hair is 4a. Curly coils. But really tight coils. I think I shall attempt the natural move for a while.

My only problem is managability. But if that happens, I can give the henna recipe a try.

Karonica,

Valleygirl is so right. All the years that I had a relaxer, my new growth seemed to be so coarse and dry. Little did I know about scab hair /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif!!! Now that I have grown it out, it is much softer and more manageable. I could smack myself for not going natural sooner!!!!

Naturalaxer. Been there. Done that. Burned the tee shirt! For me it dried my hair out like straw, caused hair loss in the front of my hair, and my hair was so brittle it crunched when I touched it. The company sent me free products to try to correct the damage. The hair loss I experenced has not grown back. Please be careful!

Ouch! Well that is enough for me to make a decision. It is odd NATURAL-LAXER? Based on what you are saying, if this caused that to your hair, I really wonder what is all natural about that?

Oh my! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I would have never known! I appreciate the warning!

My goodness. How can a Naturalaxer burn the T-Shirt? Grief!

I saved this from the old forum. I don't remember who posted it--Sorry!
A texturizer is just a mild relaxer combed through instead of smoothed and is only left on for 5-10 minutes. If your hair responded well to relaxers (no excessive dryness or breakage) a texturizer should be okay because the chemicals are identical.
But anyone with 3c or curlier hair (a natural curl pattern tighter than Gloria Reuben's or the Mowry twins before they got a relaxer) should stay away from ammonium, calcium hydroxide and thioglocylate (sp?) based hair straighteners. Maybe not immediately, but eventually your hair will end up under-processed, dry, dull and hard. It may change colors and fall out. Rio, Copa, Naturalaxer etc. are not all natural. They contain ammonium chloride, cetrimonium bromide among other chemicals and have acid levels higher than most pool cleaning products.

That's a good point ValleyGirl,

I was guilty of not knowing what my hair looks like. They say it takes 5 years for a relaxer to grow completely out of your head (because it's still in your system)so I am wondering how my hair is going to be after 2005. I have so many textures of hair, it's hard to describe it sometimes.

Thanks KitKat,

for sharing that valuable information. The lye versus no lye is something everyone should be aware of.

This is great advice.

Yeah, I tried to educate myself last night. I read about the ph levels in relaxers, and I read that Liquid Drano's ph level is 13.3. Then what was so astonishing was the fact that most of the relaxers they listed had the same or higher ph levels. Then they said that the least damaging perms were Natural Curl Relaxer, TCB Bone Straight, and Rusk Anti-Curl. So, being curious, I switched back to the Naturalaxer site, and this is what I snipped from their FAQ page:

4) If the Naturalaxer doesn't break the bonds in hair how does it relax the curl?

The Naturalaxer formula raises the alkalinity (ph) of the hair causing it to soften and loosen the
curl texture.

Hmmmm. I'm staying away from it.

I tried the Naturalzxer and did not like it. It didn't relax my natural curl at all. In the end my hair became dry and I think this is what caused it to break.
Good luck with whatever you try.

I used the baka naturalaxer twice. Didn't make my hair strait nor did it make it fall out. Save yr money and get a reg relaxer

Back