Natural women- I just had to laugh and share!

• Thread starter Thread starter HoneyRockette
  • Start date Start date
H

HoneyRockette

I am relaxed and if this makes me laugh I know you all will get a kick out of it. My sister calls herself being natural now because she hasn't had a relaxer in 15 weeks. She has had braids twice during this time. Now she gets it pressed. Her press came out really nice today. A woman complimented her on it and she went on and on about her "natural journey." She was sure to mention the fact that she didn't have to cut all of her hair off in order to do it. Now she is tired of being "natural". She is ready to perm again. She has been calling salons all weekend asking about virgin relaxers. I just had to share that. It was a little too funny to keep to myself.

That's cute! I wonder what the stylist will say when she sees your sister's "natural" hair /images/graemlins/grin.gif

That is hilarious, but at the same time I can really empathize with your sister....I thought I'd commit to a natural/press regimen until next summer. But let me tell ya I'm already throwing in the towel. I'm only a few clicks away from ordering Elucence products. So maybe the 15 week mark is what separates the women from the girls, because I can't hang. Last night I got caught in the rain. I looked like a wet cat. Plus the high heat of the pressing comb sucking out my hair's moisture along with my scalp's need to be washed every 3 days is making this project a losing battle.

Oh well, maybe it wasn't a total loss (Here's where I rationalize going back to relaxed hair)> My scalp did get a much needed break. Plus, the idea of being natural gave me the incentive to lop off 90% of the damaged hair I might've tried to hang onto had I continuously relaxed following my July hair disaster....

Back to the drawing board

Well my horror day was July 13. (I'll remember it well)
I would say that's around 17 weeks ago. But consider my scalp was stunned, so I probably didn't see new growth for another month and a half after. But I was constantly cutting the whole time. Now I"m at 6 inches, 4 being "natural" -- or maybe I should say non-relaxed (smile)

HoneyRockette-

That is funny, but PLEASE make sure your sister doesn't go and get a VIRGIN RELAXER! Her "old" relaxed hair will break off. How many inches of new growth does she have? And she really is PRESSING the relaxed part of her hair? Wow! I thought that would give her a "haircut" for sure.

That is too funny Honeyrockette! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I can't blame her though, natural hair does take time and patience to deal with. It's even more upkeep to make sure it looks right. I'm sure one day she will try to do it again.

Gurl why didn't I know you 2.5 years ago? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

You have just explained why my hair started breaking after I had braids for six months!

Thinking I was natural also, I got an allover/virgin perm and I just sat there thinking I was gone be the bomb with my new pretty hair! And it was very beautiful until it started breaking off six months later! WOW!

I think because my hair was so big where I could not even put a cap over it (not exagerating /images/graemlins/shocked.gif), I thought I was truly naturally. What I didn't realized is that I was still in the first stages of "scab" hair (from Pamela Ferrel's book) and my hair had not come into its own, so to speak!

Thanks for that revelation! (mouth still hanging open /images/graemlins/shocked.gif)!

Caring for two types of hair at the same time is the real cliff you've gotta get over. I think women who have "black beauty pride" tend to stick with the transition better than those who just want to cut down on pricey products, or try a new hairstyle.

If the hair really is too difficult, you may be trying to use your relaxed hair regime on it, and trust me, the results will be, erm, un-navigable. Four inches is enough; hack off the last of the relaxed hair, and try out your "new hair" for a few weeks. If ya don't like it, go ahead and get a relaxer as planned! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back