Natural/Transitioners Who Press/Flatiron

Faith

What do you use to keep your hair moisturized and healthy (until the next wash) since watery products can't be used for fear of reversion? Thanks :)

I've been wearing my hair straight this week (gonna finally wash it out tonight) and I've been using Profectiv Mega Moisturizer in very small amounts at night before tying it up, and a little serum in the morning for a refresher. I used Elucence serum the first day but decided I needed something a little heavier since there is a lot of moisture in the air lately, and so I used Giovanni Frizz Be Gone the rest of the week (I LOVE the way this stuff smells! :love: ).

I wore my hair out for one last hurrah to church today and I prepared by applying some fantasia ice pomade to my hair last night and putting my hair in two braids (top and bottom), and tying my scarf on really well. My hair was sooooo soft this morning and felt quite moisturized. I didn't expect it to be so moisturizing--I was just hoping it would keep it from frizzing. The next time I straighten my hair I'll have to remember to use this earlier :yep:
My hair didn't last anyway, though, because we had a thunderstorm early this morning and the air was too muggy today and it was drizzling. My hair turned into a puffball by the end of service. I was still cute, though :lol:

Thanks Black Cardinal :) would you tell me the complete name of the Fantasia product that you have used!

It's full name is "Hair Polisher Solid Ice Pomade" I got mine at Sally's for around $4: Ice Pomade.

Oddly enough the first ingredient in it is water, but the product itself isn't watery or anything, and my hair was definitely smoother this morning than it was when I went to bed at night so I guess the specifics of the formula keep it from causing reversion. I imagine under normal conditions my hair would have held up, but I think it's too much to ask to expect any product to withstand actual rain, especially considering my hair was exposed to humid conditions all week beforehand.

For those sensitive to certain ingredients or trying to eliminate certain chemicals, you might want to go through the list first:
Ingredients: Deionized water, Mineral Oil, Oleth-5, Propylene Glycol, Peg-20 Hydrogenated Lanolin, Glycerine, Aloe Vera Gel, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, DMDM Hydantoin, Vitamin B-1, Niacin, Biotin, Vitamin B-6, Fragrance.

maybe it was the mineral oil that keep your hair from reverting so soon, as it coats the hair and doesnt let anything in.....just a thought
Does anyone else use a "grease" or mineral oil product after a flat iron? :look:

I use Design Essential's lTheraputrix leave-in conditioner on my ends. Its weightless and does make my hair revert back.

i wash out my blowout yeasturday... but to keep straight i added a little baby oil and mtg. at night i made big plaits with velcro rollers on the ends.

i have had my press for a week and it has even survived a thunderstorm. I roll it at the top and wrap the front and sides at night.. I have only added a little Oyins oil (and I mean a little) only once and it is still nice.

kema said:
I use Design Essential's lTheraputrix leave-in conditioner on my ends. Its weightless and does make my hair revert back.
It makes your hair revert back? That is definitely not what I want. Thanks :)

naturaline: Is that enough moisture for the day to day while your hair is straight though? Baby oil and MTG?

Thanks for all the comments ladies :)

Hey faith! :wave: This was my question back when I first started transitioning.

When pressed: I use a little coconut oil(or shea butter) for moisture while it is straight...however, since my hair never curls when it is straight(with out some kind of moisture that is). I end up putting a little(a dab) moisturizer(ORS OO) on the ends and rolling with solar rollers....as the week rolls into two weeks on I use a little more moisturizer on the ends for rolling. Since I'm wearing a textured style it doesn't matter to me anymore if it reverts back. My hair doesn't do a complete reversion until I actually wash it.

When blown out: I use nothing until it's time to roll with the solar rollers. Because of the airy, softness of the blowout, I don't want to weigh down my hair with oils and stuff. I like to enjoy the wind blowing through my hair..:grin:

Sorry so long, hope this helps!

I use good old grease vigorol Indian Hemp or Coconut oil. But I have a weave and only a little bit of my hair is out. I dont think I can use grease for my whole head though.

Well, I press and wash my hair every three weeks, and I simply just grease my hair once a week with the actual pressing oil. My pressing grease is Ultra Sheen. I think wrapping your hair at night makes a big difference!

Thanks ladies :)

onepraying: I can't believe it's been over 1 yr since you started transitioning. WTG :) I will have to obviously concentrate whatever I use on my ends/strands and avoid the roots. I sweat a lot in on my scalp and most days when I wake up my scalp especially the back is damp (and it seems to grow the fastest,longest and softest...hmmm) so that's why I'm looking for something to help. I'll just keep with the BB Lotion and maybe the Africa's Best Ultimate herbal oil and see how those go. :)

Recently I've been using CD Honey Hair Mimosa. It's like grease without the mineral oil, but it definitely helps with moisture. Also I usually make sure my hair is really moisturized before blowing it out because it's hard to put moisture back in after the press without using water-based products. Oh, and at night I'll pin-curl it with bobby pins and sleep in a satin bonnet.

HHG!

Back