Natural/Texturized ladies, what do I do about straight hair in the front???

alibi

hair bored
Okay here's the dilema: my hair is really coming along in nice coils and waves all the way until you get to the top half and the front. Then it pretty much gets straight with very little curl definition. :( I am thoroughly convinced that this is from pulling it back into a bun daily throughout my transition, and even now that I'm natural. The problem is that my hair is currently too short for me to feel comfortable wearing it out, so I need a style that will be low manipulation and encourage the natural curl pattern, or at the very least, to give my hair a break from the brushing back that goes with the bun. I'm considering braiding it up totally and doing a weave for a few months, or maybe trying some braids, although I've never had them before. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions, whether it's styles or products? Thanks in advance. :up:

I suggest doing a twist-out too and when you pull it back to put into your phonypony, you won't be slicking it down. The top and front of your hair will have texture. After I did my twist-out, my hair did NOT look good the next day and I put it up in a scrunchie and everybody said that was HUGE improvement to my every day pulled back "severe" look. They said it looked like I did more to it than just put it up.

I think that may help encourage the curl since it won't be lying flat.

My hair does the same thing in the front but if I am doing a bun I do a loose messy bun so my texture shows in the front. No product helps at all

The thing is, with these :censored: layers, I can't put my hair in a loose bun b/c the top part won't fit all the way in unless it's slicked - does that make sense? Anyways, I think I may try a braidout tonight, just to see how I like it. Who knows, maybe I'll be confident enough to wear it out, but I doubt it. :ohwell: I just don't want mess up the front with all this pulling it back when the back coils/curls are so pretty.

I see what you are saying, ayanapooh. Are you comfortable wearing the front down in a twistout with the back up? Do you know what I'm trying to describe? Kinda like framing your face with your hair in the front?

GMMP,

I know what you're talking about, but I don't think that would look so great for court. :ohwell: It seems like more of a weekend style to me. I think the solution may be a full head sew in, which I've been considering for weeks.

ayanapooh said:
Okay here's the dilema: my hair is really coming along in nice coils and waves all the way until you get to the top half and the front. Then it pretty much gets straight with very little curl definition. :( I am thoroughly convinced that this is from pulling it back into a bun daily throughout my transition, and even now that I'm natural. The problem is that my hair is currently too short for me to feel comfortable wearing it out, so I need a style that will be low manipulation and encourage the natural curl pattern, or at the very least, to give my hair a break from the brushing back that goes with the bun. I'm considering braiding it up totally and doing a weave for a few months, or maybe trying some braids, although I've never had them before. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions, whether it's styles or products? Thanks in advance. :up:

Hi Ayanapooh :wave:

I can totally relate. When I was transitioning, I also wore a brushed back bun (& pony) daily. When I chopped, the front & top was not curly at all :nono: ... it was loosely wavy. I was convinced that I ruined my natural curl pattern by constantly wearing buns :mad: . Well, I didn't stop wearing buns... (( I didn't have enough hair for any other style...to my liking) ... instead, I changed my products... I stopped pooing weekly... I changed to every 2 wks, & increased my CW.... (now I "no poo")...well, to make an even longer story short, the front & top hairs are now just as curly/coily as the back (although my curl pattern is still more loose in the front).

...all of that just to say... maybe ur front & top hairs need more conditioning (to encourage ur natural curl pattern) than the back??? Or maybe ur poo is stripping away ur curls?? Or maybe ur hair simply has a far looser pattern in the front/top???....Just a few thoughts....

Oh yeah, I'm lacking in the style dept... I am NOT the person to ask about styling options... Wish I had some suggestions for u... :perplexed

edited to add: Products that "encourage" my natural curlies are
1) Any VO5, Suave, White Rain, Tresemme conditioners
2) Pantene Smooth & Sleek.... Pantene Hydrating Curls gives both curl enhancement & wonderful slip!
3) Pure Aloe vera Gel (Lillyof the Desert), Goya Honey (only honey I've tried... both are packed away til the weather gets warmer)
4) So far any gel (Smooth & Shine, Worlds of Curls, Luster's, Isoplus, Fantasia...) I just don't like the "crisp" left behind...
5) Noodlehead, Loosely Defined... both I'll use for "spot" enhancement... Noodlehead dries a bit too hard for my liking though :ohwell: ...

Last edited:
do u brush your hair all the time when putting it into a bun? that could cause a problem, especially on dry natural hair! :shocked:

try smoothing with a gel with your hands and tie a scarf around your head to lay down your edges. hth! :cool:

@ Poohbear, no sweety, I don't brush my natural hair while it's dry! :lol: I actually CO wash daily, and brush it back with a Denman brush for my bun. ;)

Thanks for the responses ladies, I think I'm going to try doing a twistout this weekend to see how it looks.

Back