Natural, Texlaxed, Texturized 4a/b Ladies, Please Help

Naturelle

I'm just so :perplexed:ohwell::nono::sad::wallbash: with my hair.

I can't seem to keep my hair moisturized once it's air dried. It's nice and soft and supple etc once water and condish and etc is in it. But even after a deep condition, once I air dry it dries it seems rather dry (for lack of a better description).

I know I need to moisturize after which I do, but even after the moisturizer is in, I can't seem to get rid of the dry feeling.

Here's my routine (brief) -
Wash days:
  • co-wash with V05/baking soda (last time I did with AO Honeysuckle) just once
  • deep condition with Elasta QP some added stuff (honey, silk amino acids, aloe vera juice/gel)
  • rinse with acv/diluted water and cold water
  • moisturize with oyin whipped cream
I have started to use the MT on the scalp only twice to three times a week. The last wash day I used MT on the scalp for an hour before I washed and I applied some for a few miutes on my hair (as I was experiencing a little breakage). I moisturize daily and just started to do co-washes again twice a week (trying to up the moisture)

Part of me is feeling maybe I need a protein treatment but I'm not sure - probably more moisture, I aint know esp since I use the MT I've elimiated protein and any other strengthening agents from my hair diet.

Anyone got any clues as to what I can do?

Your wash routine maybe too harsh---you're stripping the hair doing both ACV and baking soda...they basically do the same thing. Are you doing both ACV and baking soda 2x week? If so, that is too much. What are you using to moisturize your hair daily?

I think baking soda on every wash is way too much. Or if you feel you have to use it, make a very very dilute solution.

^^ you two are probably right? I guess I was over clarifying in a way?

I never even thought about the two of them being together in the same routine too harsh (even if not used together). I did stop using the baking soda (since the last wash only tho) in condish but the acv diluted i still use as my final rinse.

I will continue to only use the acv & diluted cold water rinse and no baking soda for awhile and see what it do.
Thanks

I use oyin whipped butter to moisturize daily along with aloe vera + glycerin + distilled/rose water mi. I then seal my ends with cator or coconut oil.

Are you letting it air dry out? Are you remembering to seal? I NEVER air dry my hair out or it will be crispy and brittle within a matter of minutes.. when its wet I twist it or braid it and right before I twist that section I apply a little bit of castor oil and detangle with my denman. I washed my hair DAYS ago and it still feels soft and moisturized.

HTH

OP I don't know if you have alreadyfound your answer...I thing SAA is a protein and so is aloe vera gel so maybe it is tipping your dc a little bit away from the moisture treatment you really need. Try alternating with the SAA and the aloe in the dc every other week and add an oil and or butter (or whatever moisturiser works for you) on the other weeks.

SamanthaJones also started a great thread about using eggs and or mayonnaise and this seemed to be a protein treatment that left ladies hair really soft. It seemed to work especially well for curlies. Maybe you could try this out.

You might want to start sealing in your moisturizer too. My hair will only stay soft for so long especially when the air is dry unless I seal. I like grapeseed oil and hollywood beauty castor oil (it is a grease with great ingredients but does have mineral oil - far down in the list but it's there). Some people prefer butters for sealing but either way it creates a great barrier to keep moisture in and air out.

Once I got the right moisture balance with plenty of dc's and oil rinses I found that keeping the moisture in was a lot easier.

OP I don't know if you have alreadyfound your answer...I thing SAA is a protein and so is aloe vera gel so maybe it is tipping your dc a little bit away from the moisture treatment you really need. Try alternating with the SAA and the aloe in the dc every other week and add an oil and or butter (or whatever moisturiser works for you) on the other weeks.

SamanthaJones also started a great thread about using eggs and or mayonnaise and this seemed to be a protein treatment that left ladies hair really soft. It seemed to work especially well for curlies. Maybe you could try this out.

You might want to start sealing in your moisturizer too. My hair will only stay soft for so long especially when the air is dry unless I seal. I like grapeseed oil and hollywood beauty castor oil (it is a grease with great ingredients but does have mineral oil - far down in the list but it's there). Some people prefer butters for sealing but either way it creates a great barrier to keep moisture in and air out.

Once I got the right moisture balance with plenty of dc's and oil rinses I found that keeping the moisture in was a lot easier.

That's a good idea I will try alternating saa and aloe vera gel (but it's the food grade kind...does that make a difference?)

And what confuses me about the oil rinses (never done it) how does it moisturize your hair? Aren't oils used usually as a sealant? Is the oil poured over your head or are you just taking oil and rubbing it thru your entire head or just concentrating on the ends?

Back