Natural Oils for hair

CheerBear

I planned on taking a trip to the health food store tonight and I was wondering which oils (avocado, sweet almond, castor oil, rosemary, etc) you ladies have used with the best results. I'm looking for one I can use daily or at least weekly for moisture. BTW, I already own Olive, Jojoba and a little coconut

Ooooh! This is sure to be a good one!
lick.gif
I've been trying to piece together info from different posts to answer this very question. So far I'm happy w/Castor & Rosemary Oils on my hair. I have coconut oil & EVOO but use those primarily for dietary purposes....may have to reconsider that.
scratchchin.gif

Not sure about moisture but I've used peppermint oil with jojoba, rosemary, shea butter to create my own concoction for stimulating growth.
shea butter alone is a great moisturizer - need only a little

Castor oil is the BOMB.
trampoline.gif
You can mix it with any conditioner (no matter how crappy) to get some real moisture. You can warm it and apply it to ends (in lieu of the Vaseline). You can apply it to your edges to protect and stimulate growth. And this is only the beginning!

I'm a recent convert to avocado oil. It's a great moisturizer - I added it to my Aveda Anti-Humectant Pomade -my hair always feels so soft!

Kedra

I like both avocado and jojoba, but I've stuck with jojoba the longest because it's lighter and easier to obtain for me. It does a great job when dry strands are tangled or rough.

After reading some of the posts yesterday, I whipped out the coconut oil after I did a preshampoo treatment w/EVOO & Honey mixed w/my KeraCare Humecto (two hours or so under the plastic cap). Did the usual wash and condition (no deep condition as it was already 10 pm. Applied the Avon Dry Ends Serum and Virgin Coconut oil to wet hair, wrapped w/my sating cap. This morning, I was like "who's hair is this?!"
shocked.gif
It was so soft but slightly damp, I was kinda scared to comb it but I had NO SHEDDING OR BREAKAGE!
clap.gif
clap.gif

But...the coconut oil is too light for my hair so I had to put in a little Jojoba oil
smile.gif
. It's like someone else's hair on my head!

Thanks ladies for the great advice. I love this forum!!
notworthy.gif

I just discovered avocado oil and coconut oil. I cook with them hmmm so good, these oil add flavor to anything. I also use the coconut oil on my skin, it's so light. I feel all fluffy after I use it.
I did a little concotion last night: castor oil, avocado oil,coconut oil, olive oil and pepermint oil. I have cornrows now, so I'll keep applying this to my scalp and hair. I hope I get good results when I take my cornrows out.

I love all the carrier oils. I use coconut for sheen. I mix castor and avocado for my edges and nape area. I use castor alone on my ends, better than vaseline, when I wear a bun, french roll or braid out. I use jojoba and/or evoo when I air dry. I love what they do for my hair. Sweet almond and apricot oils are great too. I warm shea butter for my pre treatments but I like it better on my skin after a shower.

I made up some 100% shea butter and a little rosemary oil for extra conditioning. Loved the results. Also EVOO and rosemary for a hot oil treatment.

I might have to get the rosemary.

Okay I have a question:

I have shea butter, olive oil, castor oil, jojoba oil. What can I do to put more moisture in my hair? I air dryed the other day and the hair is acting up, the edges are dry and it looks dull, so what can I do to make it shiny and feel less dry? I don't wash it again until thurs....

Thanks

Hello Flyjump: I just viewed your pictures your hair is so healthy and beautiful. have you always had long thick hair? or did you achieve this after joining the forum? also what is your routine with your hair?

JANCAN7,
I had thick long hair until I went to college (1990). Then wanted to be like all my friends and get relaxers and cuts and colors and all that mess. I started growing my hair back out in 1997 from a below the ear bob cut. A hairdresser in Philly taught me how to take good care of my hair. He would never think about putting any heat on it. Have not lived there since 1998 and have not trusted anyone else to do my hair. I do several conditioning washes during the week b/c I run a lot and sweat a lot. I wash and condition on the weekends. I like so many different products and experiment A LOT. Some of my regulars are Pantene Relaxed and Natural shampoo/conditioner, cholesterol conditioner, TCB balancing conditioner, Doo Gro tingling shampoo which I like to alternate with Pantene. I grease my scalp if dry with Bag Balm. I also put it on my hair and ends. I think it keeps them strong. I ALWAYS air dry and I probably use heat 3x/year max. I am straightening for the 1st time in a long time this weekend for my B-day (so excited). Did I tell you everything? Let me know. Sorry so long Ladies!

This is what I use: Jojoba, Castor & Vitamin E...Jojoba is great because it gets absorb in hair (and skin) so well and fast.

[ QUOTE ]
MissVee said:
I have shea butter, olive oil, castor oil, jojoba oil. What can I do to put more moisture in my hair? I air dryed the other day and the hair is acting up, the edges are dry and it looks dull, so what can I do to make it shiny and feel less dry? I don't wash it again until thurs....

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

The oils alone won't moisturize your hair, but if you apply a small amount of oil onto your damp hair, the oil will seal in the moisture. Alternatively, you can make up a spray consisting of oil and water. I do this and use about 1tsp of oil (currently vitamin-e oil, but plan to switch to olive) for 8 oz of water. I also add in extras like 6 drops of Rosemary essential oil for its scalp-stimulating & antiseptic properties, 2 drops of tea tree oil for its antibacterial properties, 1 tsp of Aubrey GPB and some fragrance. It's been working excellently for many months now
smile.gif

Back