Natural- need a good product for twists outs

Ms Lala

I love wearing my hair in a twist out but I don't want to wear my twists for several days first. I want a product that I can use to twist my hair, sit under the dryer, and then take the twists out. Has anyone tried this? If so what product (s) did you use?

Also how do you keep twist outs fresh during the week. Mine tend to look rough by day 2.

Looking for this information as well. What didn't work for my hair was any of the lock and twists gels or the Cantu shea butter leave-in. I got frizz and white flakes.

I have found that the longer that I keep my twists in (usually 7-10 days) and the smaller my twists are the longer (usually 5-7 days) that my twist outs last and look nice. If you are "setting" your twists, that may be why they dont last...I think the time helps your hair to kinda coil around itself so your hair is actually forming the style instead of a temporary indent that the "setting" might cause.

For me, I use oil-based products for my twists which helps eliminate frizz ...however most "setting" products are water-based which may not be conduscive to twist-outs.

Anyways...all that is just my rambling...in answer to your question...I would use a diluted leave-in conditioner or other setting product sealed with an oil. I use castor oil for mine and they are soft and moisturized for two weeks. HTH

Well, at Miss Jessie's salon they use Curly Pudding or Curly Buttercreme to set twists for a twistout. It looks like they saturate the hair with the products. Take a look at the tutorial on their website. I would imagine that products similar to these (Kinky Curly, etc.) would be fine. Maybe the Curls or Blended Beauty products (Souffle, Whipped Cream, Happy Nappy Styles) could work too. I know that sets work best for my hair if the dryer provides high enough heat (professional hooded dryer) and that my hair is able to dry all the way.

Ms Lala said:
I love wearing my hair in a twist out but I don't want to wear my twists for several days first. I want a product that I can use to twist my hair, sit under the dryer, and then take the twists out. Has anyone tried this? If so what product (s) did you use?

Also how do you keep twist outs fresh during the week. Mine tend to look rough by day 2.

When I was in HS and relaxed my hair dresser used regular setting lotion and it came out fine. It just took a while to dry under the dryer. You have to make sure it's completely dry before you unravel them. I'm not sure how it will work for natural hair though.

Cheleigh said:
Well, at Miss Jessie's salon they use Curly Pudding or Curly Buttercreme to set twists for a twistout. It looks like they saturate the hair with the products. Take a look at the tutorial on their website. I would imagine that products similar to these (Kinky Curly, etc.) would be fine. Maybe the Curls or Blended Beauty products (Souffle, Whipped Cream, Happy Nappy Styles) could work too. I know that sets work best for my hair if the dryer provides high enough heat (professional hooded dryer) and that my hair is able to dry all the way.

Thanks for the tips. I went to the Ms. Jessie's site. I think I will try the techniques they described. I"ll check out the curls and blended beauty products because Ms. Jessie's costs too much.

bmoreflyygirl said:
When I was in HS and relaxed my hair dresser used regular setting lotion and it came out fine. It just took a while to dry under the dryer. You have to make sure it's completely dry before you unravel them. I'm not sure how it will work for natural hair though.

Yeah the problem is I"m getting the fuzzies by day 2 and it doesn't look good. BTW you look gorgeous in your siggy pic.

Ms Lala said:

i'm not 100% yet Mslala but i do have about 6 inches of ng that does not frizz at all - get a little poofy yes but never out of control fuzz.

the only thing i use is after washing/conditioning, i grab a bit of shea butter, rub my hands together real well to melt it and apply it to my hair as i'm detangling. i go on and twist it up and let it dry overnight - usually takes 12-18 hours for it to be completely dry (if soaking wet) - if damp about 10 or so hours. take them out and that's that. in fact, i'm about to wash my hair now and do some twists for tomorrow.

i've got a few pics in my album. none of my ng is frizzy or fuzzy at all even after several days and usually it lasts until the next wash.

to maintain i just retwist with a little Elasta QP H2 spray or just run my hand under the faucet enough to dampen it then twist with damp hands.

ack forgot to add:

Don't use too much or it will be too greasy feeling!!

If your hair does not like shea butter, i don't know of a good alternate product :(

One more thing you can try, LottaBody has a product called Lottabody Cream Wrap (not the blue stuff you have to dilute - it's nothing like that). it's a creme and it's very light in weight and texture. this will also give you a nice soft, natural hold and help protect against outside moisture.

Last edited:
Fantasia IC gel is really good for twist outs it not flacky, it leaves your hair moisturized and I has a nice hold
I heard that its simular to Miss Jeesie's curly Pudding

Just wanted to add that I got really good results in the past on twists and twist-outs using:

Carols Daughter Healthy Hair Butter or Qhemets Alma and Olive Pomade. I would add just a little Carol's Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey for shine...

Those were really good products and I got great results. I stopped using them once I ran out and didnt restorck as I am trying to keep the hairegi simple.

Back