Natural looking curly hair for relaxed heads???

sweetpeadst

I wish I had wash and go hair that curled up like I had naturally curly hair!! I am relaxed with kinky 4b hair is their any product that could possibly do this (I doubt it but I just had to give it a try?

This may not work but here goes, try wash, air dry/diffuser while drying put some mousse in it, and scrunch it up and you could also tip your head to the side or upside down, you may get some waves curls slim chance. Don't come through while it's like this wet it again to comb. This is not my method this is what people who have naturally straight hair do with a perm to make their hair curl.

Last edited:
Tracy ( a member here) had a great description on Wash and Go process...I will see if I can find it.....

Hey Sweetpea!

Some ladies have recommended KMS Curl Up Balm to me to achieve this look and using Tracy's wash and go technique. I have yet to try it, but one 4b relaxed hair lady said that it helps her hair to achieve curl well even though her hair is very straight when wet.

I can not seem to find it.....if anyone knows what I am referring to could you provide a link.....TIA

Found it CCD :)

Tracy said:
Here's how I do it. Some of the products have changed and what I realized that once you determine your own personal "recipe" you're good to go. For instance - I realized recently that I can get the exact same look - better even - by using only certain gels (L'oreal Anti-Frizz and Lasting Curls) and a good heavy serum. I can do without the JF product now, so I use it when I have and don't when I don't. It's all trial and error, but this should give you a starting point. The point is don't get hung up in the products....just follow the basic recipe and technique and tweak as needed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The primary ingredients for a natural looking curl on relaxed hair are: (Tracy)

conditioner

Styling Cream of Gel mixed with serum

Curl spray

Serum

Some people may not need the styling creme or gel and the curl spray together. I can do without the styling creme, or the spray in a pinch for instance. I usually need either spray ir gel or mousse to help encourage the curl tho, no matter what.

The products I use to achieve my curl vary, but for the most part I use the following:

Any leave in or midweight rinse out conditioner will do. Lately, I've had fab results with Sebastian Moisture Base (update: thanks to Southerngirl I use MNT almost exclusively now). Again, any conditioner that you like that isn't too heavy and doesn't have too many cones will work. I wouldn't go for instance with a cholesterol conditioner.

I religiously use and will never give up John Frieda Dream Curls. That's the curl spray that does the trick on my hair. A good gel that has a similar purpose is KMS curling balm (or the two I mentioned in the intro). Either will affect the same results - to encourage and hold the curl in the hair minus crunch (a determining factor for me). If you have a hard time with the sprays and gels some people's hair responds better to non-alcohol mousse. John Frieda's Frizz Ease line has one that is superior. Point? You need something to encourage the curl. To avoid crunch, be sure to use enough serum at the right times in the process.

The styling cremes (I like Salon Selectives Loosely Defined and my favorite is L'oreal UnFrizz Taming Creme) are optional but they give a nice finished look and some control if your hair tends to get too big as it dries.

The serum is key. I've experimented a lot and you need a good thick one. I like Keracare's Silken Seal. It should go after the conditioner and the creme's but before the spray. The product encouraging the curl should be the last to go on.

The rest is in the technique. I lightly wrap a towel around my head after washing just so it's not soaking wet. A minute or two - tops. Then I apply a tablespoon size of conditioner and styling creme or gel mixed with about the same amount of serum. Then I tie my edges with a satiny rectangular shaped scarf (I mention the shape only because it should extend back toward the crown only about 2-3 inches - otherwise the top of the hair will be flat). I leave the scarf on until it's mostly dry and to the area that's left free I apply the curl spray liberally and then the serum.

Then I DO NOT TOUCH IT, DO NOT TOUCH IT, DO NOT TOUCH IT (can you tell this is important?) until it's 75% dry. It should feel slightly damp but mostly dry to the touch. At that point I lightly gather just the tips of my hair in my fists and squeeze gently. That helps encourage the curl on the strands that aren't going with the flow. It helps to bend over and let gravity help separate the strands from one another to give a nice, full appearance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My EXACT products and combos look like this now: TBS of conditioner, TBS each of Loreal Lasting Curls and Serum mixed together and than a TBS each of AntiFrizz and serum mixed together. I leave the scarf til the end now too, after I've applied all my product. I find I get better coverage this way.

HTH.

Itotally agree with tracey's method. I have relaxed hair and wear wash n go styles daily now, but I do have a curl pattern in my hair. I have had good results with the following: kms curl balm with mango butter from elasta qp, garnier curl mousse, tresseme curl mouse, jf dream curls, jf shine serum, noodle head curl cream. I have tried all these separately and they all work for me. Scrunching is key also.
(I am on vacation on my blackberry, please excuse typos)

Hth

I have relaxed hair. I tried Tracey method about a year ago and only got so-so results. Its didnt hold the curl very well for me. At the time though, I thought I had 4a hair and it hasnt been until recently that I have realized that I have more like 3c hair. My is straight when absolutely wet but once it dried is definitely wavy/curly. I really like the curly pudding. It is that only product that truly worked well for me. it really held my curls well. The only thing is that I had to use so much of it. Another option is Paul mitchell foaming pommade. That works well for me as well. I have some pictures in my album from my curly pudding experiment. feel free to take a look!

Chaya said:
I have relaxed hair. I tried Tracey method about a year ago and only got so-so results. Its didnt hold the curl very well for me. At the time though, I thought I had 4a hair and it hasnt been until recently that I have realized that I have more like 3c hair. My is straight when absolutely wet but once it dried is definitely wavy/curly. I really like the curly pudding. It is that only product that truly worked well for me. it really held my curls well. The only thing is that I had to use so much of it. Another option is Paul mitchell foaming pommade. That works well for me as well. I have some pictures in my album from my curly pudding experiment. feel free to take a look!

I just wanted to say that your wash and go looks beautiful!!!

I do have somewhat of a natural curl to my hair but it is relaxed which changes things somewhat! Anyway I have found that braidouts and twistouts give me that extra definition for my curls. I've also been turned onto 'Sebastian Wet' which enhances and locks the curl in, your hair actually looks wet but not that Jehri curl wet.HTH

well my hair is curly and wavy with/without relaxer, but i always use mousse to enhance it, by herbal essence. it smells so good. my friend used Sebastian Wet and said it was good, she begged me to try some.

When I was transitioning, I got this look two ways:

Using a diffuser method. Just added a leave-in conditioner and scrunched my hair in my hand until it "froze" that way with the diffuser.

or

Doing a two strand twist into a bantu knot and allowing it to dry over night. I carefully took it down the next day and the curls lasted a week. No need to do the hair every day.

Back