Natural lines:the good and the Bad and the Overrated

Good:

Taliah Waajid

Black earth shampoo: gentle, smells nice (like berries) and leaves the hair soft - but doesn't remove heavy butter or cones well to me.

Enhancing herbal conditioner: Very moisturizing, smells nice, lots of slip

Protective mist bodyfier: coconut scent, moisturizing, but its really thick. I dilute it 50:50 with water

Aubrey Organics:

Love their conditioners, never tried the shampoos

Honeysuckle & rose - moisturizing not much slip IMO
White Camellia - very moisturizing has nice slip
Island naturals - nice light protein, leaves the hair soft and strong

ITA! this is how pj's get started. They see someone with hair that "looks" like theirs, then bugs the heck outta them to figure out what they are using. Only AFTER they spend a bunch of money, do they find out that THEIR hair just doesn't like whatever product for whatever reason :wallbash: thus product grave yards and wasted cash. unfortunately I have learned this lesson myself the hard way...............NEVER AGAIN! :nono: Now that I KNOW what stuff my hair likes ( butters, aloe, gentle shampoos ) and what it doesn't, I can keep so much more cash in my pocket, and not waste it on trying the "next" holy grail product that someone is raving about.
and it wont never change.Everyone is eager to know someone's with a similar hair type regimen cuz they hope it will work for them ,sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt ,but in doubt they will try it.Not everyone has loads of cash to waste trying each and every product on the market so if say a large majority of natural girls with 4a type hair love Amla butter chances are it will work on another 4a natural girl,if alot of people w her hair type say Herbal Essence Green bottle sucks she most probably wont try it and appreciate the heads up .
Also if you know someone with your hair type likes oils you should follow her suggestions if your hair agrees with oils aswell .Most likely it will work for you.

For instance I m 3c and some of the products 4ab s love dont agree with my hair .Example Mixed Chicks leave in leave my hair crispy hard and dry a friend of mine w 4a swears by it .
As for fragrance and ingredients ,I think its very helpful to mention some ingredients or chemicals found in certain products in case someone is trying to avoid them or look for themex Mineral oil,Propylene Glycol ,Methylparaben or Glycerin ,Oils ,or Ceramides etc
I ve been in hair boards since 2001 and regrettably i ve spent so much money on different hair products i wish i knew better...i could be driving a Lexxus by now :lachen:

Last edited:
Does anyone have any experience/opinions about the Shea Moisture line? I'm interested in using the conditioner.

I tried the curling souffle/smoothie and my hair felt really greasy and dry. I finally figured out that my hair isn't a fan of coconut oil. Now I know I can't leave in anything that has coconut oil in it:sad:

I usually have no problem with natural product lines my hair usually likes them all (the ones i have tried)....its usually the scents that get me.

I love:

Shescentit----Seyani Hair Butter, Coco-Creme Leave In and Banana Brulee....i tried the Macadamia Gel it was aaaiiight...don't hate but aint crazy about it either.

Bee Mine-----Luscious Cream Moisturizer, Juicy Spray...the only thing i really don't like about Bee Mine is that everything smells super fruity...they work VERY well on my hair i just don't like extremely fruity scents too much:nono:.

I just tried Oyin's Honey Hemp Conditioner and both my natural and relaxed hair love it...i believe its bc of the honey...my hair loves honey:yep:...i want to try the Honey Wash.

I also tried the Hairveda Moisture 24/7 conditioner and it really does moisturize:yep:...so i like that too.

I love natural handmade hair products....my hair just doesn't really take too well from stuff you can buy at the BSS.

I like this thread! Glad it was resurrected!

The Good: (These are all my holy grails)
Chagrin Valley Shampoo Bars
KC Knot Today
KC Curling Custard
KBB Hair Milk
Myhoneychild Type 4 hair cream
SheaMoisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
Donna Marie twist and lock pudding (sure hate it was discontinued)
SheScentIt Super Soft Honey Rinse
SheScentIt Green Tea & Hibiscus Conditioner
SheScentIt Avocado Conditioner
Yes To Cucumbers Conditioner & Leave-in
Nature's Gate Aloe Vera Conditioner
Nature's Gate Henna Shine Conditioner
Hairveda Moist Condition 24/7
Hairveda Sitrinillah

The Bad:
Curl Junkie Honey Butta Leave-In - does not moisturize at all
SheaMoisture curl and style milk- left my hair dry, could be because of the silk protein, but I dont like it
Donna Marie Moisture Mist - doesnt moisturize a thing, plus I hate watery leave-ins

The Overrated:
Giovanni Direct Leave-In (All Giovanni products have too much protein for me, I hate the whole line)
JessiCurl Weekly Deep Treatment - a waste of my life, it wasnt bad but it didnt make my heart go pitter patter either
SheScentIt Banana Brulee - didnt do much for my hair, it was kind of thin so I felt like i had to use a lot for 1 application. 1 8 oz jar only lasted me about 3 uses....not gonna work!
Afroveda Pur whipped jelly - doesnt do much holding or moisturizing or anything else people recommended it for
Oyin whipped pudding - its a shea based product so its moisturizing now and dry later

I have tried sooo many product lines, but these are the only ones worth talking about! Everything else was just ok!

Last edited:
BUMPING for more reviews about MYHoneychild product line!!!!!

OsnapCnapp!

The Honey Hair Mask is very nice. I also like the Organic Shea Hair Paste (Masque). I like the Herbal Hair Cocktail and I also like the Soy Buttery Hair Cream (which is a little thick but will be perfect for Colder weather since I am under a wig). The Honey Hair Cream is also 'thick' but nice.:yep:

I also like the Burdock Root Hair Lotion which I am currently using now. The Sophia's Hair Grease is nice (not really like a grease really...hard to explain the consistency).

I also have but have not tried:

The Coconut Papaya Hair Paste
The Honey Horsetail Reconstructor
Olive You
So Deep
Molasses Hydrating DC'er
Sophia's So Thick DC'er
*I have an Oil you're suppose to use at "Night" but haven't tried that yet either*

I really like the product-line and currently have quite a bit of it. I think the Shipping is a bit 'too high' and the jars a bit too small.:look: :lol:

She is suppose to be having a BF Sale, and I have a few additional things in my cart, but it will depend on the discount.:perplexed

The Honey Hair Mask is very nice. I also like the Organic Shea Hair Paste (Masque). I like the Herbal Hair Cocktail and I also like the Soy Buttery Hair Cream (which is a little thick but will be perfect for Colder weather since I am under a wig). The Honey Hair Cream is also 'thick' but nice.:yep:

I also like the Burdock Root Hair Lotion which I am currently using now. The Sophia's Hair Grease is nice (not really like a grease really...hard to explain the consistency).

I also have but have not tried:

The Coconut Papaya Hair Paste
The Honey Horsetail Reconstructor
Olive You
So Deep
Molasses Hydrating DC'er
Sophia's So Thick DC'er
*I have an Oil you're suppose to use at "Night" but haven't tried that yet either*

I really like the product-line and currently have quite a bit of it. I think the Shipping is a bit 'too high' and the jars a bit too small.:look: :lol:

She is suppose to be having a BF Sale, and I have a few additional things in my cart, but it will depend on the discount.:perplexed

IDareT'sHair
how do you use the grease? I have been eyeing it and adding and deleting it off my list for months now! Do u use it to seal or do you use it for ur scalp?

The Good
-Oyin Handmade Juices and Berries
-Oyin Handmade Hair Dew
-Oyin Handmade Whipped Pudding (even though I can make my own knockoff)
-Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy Cream & Burdock Root Butter Cream
-Qhemet Biologics Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee
-Qhemet Biologics Honeybush Tea Soft Gel
-Anita Grant Rhassoul Condish
-Ayurvedic herbs
-Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
-Castor Oil

The Bad/The Overrated
-Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia
-Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locs
-Karen's Body Beautiful Butter Love
-Hairveda Sitrinillah Masque

*to be continued*

overrated: anita grant products
kbb sweet ambrosia(i miss the hair milk/0
kbb creamylicious(not half as good as the hair cream)

the good:
komaza califia pudding
komaza shea lotion
mhc olive you mask
oyin dew
hairveda cocasta

Great thread!

All I would advise it to make sure you buy whatever you are thinking of in the sample sizes first!

Unfortunately, I don't have much to add. But, several months ago I tried Giovanni's SAS shampoo and I have to agree that it was awful. It left my hair rough and tangled. I'm apprehensive about trying anything else from the line.

Overrated/Bad:

Raw Shea Butter; just sits on top of my hair.

Who wants to walk around with yellow gunk in your hair?

overrated: anita grant products
kbb sweet ambrosia(i miss the hair milk/0
kbb creamylicious(not half as good as the hair cream)

the good:
komaza califia pudding
komaza shea lotion
mhc olive you mask
oyin dew
hairveda cocasta
I have to agree about the anita grant products being overrated. Although I love the rhassoul, the other stuff I've tried was just aiite for me. It was nice, but it was aiite. At first I was head over hills in love with everything because I had been lusting after them for so long, but then the more stuff I tried it was like this stuff is just expensive for no damn reason and it's not anything orgasmic really. For all that $$$ those products cost I need more than nice and aiite. The rhassoul condish is fantastic on my hair though :yep:

Overrated
Oils
-Olive Oil
-Jojoba Oil
-Macadamia nut Oil
-Tamanu Oil
-Neem Oil

Brands
Carol's Daughter
*everything :nono: (I've tried the majority of her hair products. I haven't tried her new hair milk line because I had already been enlightened by that time)

Kinky Curly
-Curling Custard
-Knot Today

Darcy's Botanicals
-Daily Leave-In
-Madagascar Vanilla Styling Cream
-Coconut Cupuacu Butter Hair pomade
-Tucuma Butter moisture whip

Curls
-Hair Tea Deep Conditioner

Curls for Target
-Shampoo
-Conditioner

Ecostyler
-gel :nono:

HairVeda
-Sitrinillah Moisturizing deep conditioner
-Acai Berry Phyto conditioner
-Moist Condition 24/7 conditioner

The Good:

-Qhemet
Amla & Olive Heavy Cream - I love this stuff. A section of my hair in the back broke off really bad a few months ago and the new growth stayed dry no matter what moisturizer I put on it. I used this stuff and it made my hair feel so good. No lie, it keeps it moisturized.

The Bad/Overrated:

-Giovanni products
I've tried quite a few products from this line, especially the popular Direct Leave-In and the Smooth As Silk conditioner. My hair always ends up feeling dry after using them. I'm assuming it's the protein.

-Afroveda
I tried all of the butters awhile ago before the price hike nonsense and none of them pleased my hair. The smell of the Shea Amla butter also made me want to puke.

I stumbled onto shescentit and haven't had a need to go elswhere for things like her moisturizing butters (and avocado conditioner). I also use other conditioners but I always like hers and if I have them around they're great for my hair. Throw in a little coconut and argan into that avocado conditioner, let it sit on all night, co wash out and my hair is a happy camper.

It doesn't seem like any all natural shampoo get good reviews. I have searched high and low and it just seems they are stripping overall. Its kind of funny that the shampoo with SLS actually make my hair feel better than any of the natural products. Hmm...

List Update
The Great :Bee Mine Balanced Moisturizer ,amazing ,pure perfection for my curl ,it moisturizes and define without being sticky or heavy.
Honeychild honey Nutt cleanser:Lovely shampoo ,gentle and moisturizing
The Good :Can we considered Aveda natural ?Hmm almost i guess but im gonna throw it in there anyway ,i quite like Aveda Shampure ,its quite gentle ,i use it once a month ,doesnt strip my hair and the scent is amazing .

The Bad:So i tried Karen s body beautiful products and i m soooo disappointed ,the conditioner has the feel of a very light lotion ,it doesnt really do anything from my hair ,it made it dull and tangled,its very expensive for what it is ,i truly feel conned .The Butter has a nice thick consistency and smells great(egyptian musk) but i often forget i have it.
The black packaging doesnt really catch my eye or make the products attractive to me ,i think it makes them look chemical based rather than natural .
I had really high expectations of this line .

My hair likes the shescentit products, though the conditioners I have tried have been just so so. But the seyani butter and the leave in and the moisture mist are my baseline staples.

My hair loves hairveda sitrinillah but that's the only product from that line my hair likes.

The Organix Coconut poo and con and the Vanilla silk work well for me.

Hair One works well. (Is that natural?)

Karen's Body beautiful - the hair butter and hair milk just sit on my hair. Same with the Hairveda whipped ends and the shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie.

the lovely:
curl junkie. i have been using curl junkie for about 3 years because ive been natural over two years and was using them while transitioning. the products were good but not all that. it was a splurge. but NOW these products are amazing.
smoothing lotion: if you like kckt you will love this. water is the first ingredient so its more moisturizing.
smoothing conditioner: moisture and slip out the ying yang plus an amazing tropical scent.
curl rehab: it took me a minute to start liking this stuff and now that i do its love. i used it as a leave in last night for the first time and ill see how long the moisture lasts. as a conditioner its amazing.
curls in a bottle: still not in love with this
H&B honey butta: i love this but i dont feel likee its the best leave in ever
argon and olive conditioner: great slip and moisture
repair me: awesome protein. its medium protein so i co wash and deep treat with it.

Back