Natural Ladies: What do you do to minimize the poof?

Renewed1

I am trying not to texlax my hair to help control the puffiness. But with the humidity in Illinois, I don't think I will win the battle.

What is your secret to combat the poof?

honestly I embrace it...it makes my hair look so full and healty.

BUT

setting your hair while wet in a manner that pulls the roots taut IE cornrows or braids for a cornrow out or braid out will create a smoother style.
*note hair must be completely dry before removal!

Not separating hair into smaller sections (during out styles) will do that as well

using ceramide oil reduces the frizzy look too.

Making sure your hair has all the moisture it needs. It definitely helps.

If I am wearing my hair straight, using a product like Lok & Blok (formerly known as Sabino's Moisture Block).

I'm using Sabino, it helps some, but not by much.

Making sure your hair has all the moisture it needs. It definitely helps.

If I am wearing my hair straight, using a product like Lok & Blok (formerly known as Sabino's Moisture Block).

Not sure if you're referring to straight hair or wearing your hair in natural styles like braid/twist outs. I'm not even sure if you're anti-silicone or not but here's what's been working like clockwork.

If I'm wearing my hair straight, I prep by using Pantene's Medium to Thick conditioner after deep conditioning. Then use products like AfroSheens Satin Press to straighten - there's another product by Elasta QP called Curl Wax that works well too. Adjust the amount to suit your hair's needs. To moisturize I use EVOO (yea I know it's not water based so not typically a moisturizer, right?) to moisturize. The oiliness tends to get absorbed by the hair. I get no reversion this way or if I get it wet, it's very easy to do some bantu knots overnight and it'll all smooth back down again.

Braids, twists and braid/twist outs and feel a need to control it, I use Pantene's Medium to Thick solutions conditioner like a leave-in. You'd have to adjust the amount to suit your hair's needs. Love the conditioner and seems to work best if applied to wet hair before braiding or twisting and and can use it to refresh the style. Loaded with cones but it works great for me.

The heavier wax and silicone products really do control some of the poofyness.

ETA: Almost forgot to add that using the cones when wearing braid/twist out styles really helps make detangling easier on wash day and w/a little EVOO prevents major tangles (along with keeping the hair stretched) and last but not least, SSK prevention. At least for me.

Last edited:
You have to embrace your shrinkage, and "puffyness". There are products and technics to minimized, but if you keep fighting your hair, your hair will fight back and break off.

see i can deal with shrinkage. in fact i welcome it. but i cannot deal with the "poof" or frizz. i hate it and the only thing that really works for me is grease or something really heavy.

i don't like poofiness either....i use curl creams to minimize it...if i do a twist out with a leave-in and moisturizer or butter/cream then thats poof city! But if I use a leave-in, seal, then use a curl cream, I get soft, controlled hair that lasts for at least 3 days without me having to re-twist.

i love poof (not frizz though)! i'll take bigness/volume/poofyness over curl definition any day of the week...idk if this helps, but to reduce frizz i use Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk after my hair is dry...i love that stuff

Heat training is the only think that has really helped me with poofiness - and I still needed eco styler gel. But I'm not even natural. I'm texlaxed - 3 months post touch up. Considering transitioning to heat trained hair because heat seems to be able to do what texlaxing couldn't.

I avoid humectants (glycerin, glycols, too much aloe, castor...) and I welcome anti humectant ingredients like hydrogenated oils (aka the soft butters that are different from shea, such as almond or avocado), pomades and ceramide oils.

Heat training is the only think that has really helped me with poofiness - and I still needed eco styler gel. But I'm not even natural. I'm texlaxed - 3 months post touch up. Considering transitioning to heat trained hair because heat seems to be able to do what texlaxing couldn't.

Really? What were you trying to achieve? Im thinking about heat training.

Sent from my DROIDX using DROIDX

EXACTLY!!! Texlaxing didn't help with the poof. So now, I'm trying to learn how to handle the poof.

I'm fine with a little poof.....just not a lot. It takes away from my hairstyle.:lachen:

Steaming your hair is supposed to help with combatting humidity. I guess the steaming inparts extra moisture to your hair and therefore it makes your hair less susceptible to poofing from humidity.

I had to revisit this subject because I flat ironed today. My hair was straight but went poof rather quickly. However, Elasta QP curl wax was something of a revelation. It smoothed out the hard crinkly ends in a way that multiple (3-5) passes of a warm iron couldn't. In fact, my roots were bone straight but ends hard. BUT with a little curl wax, my ends were smooth with just TWO passes. Unbelievable. This is definitely a keeper product.

For some reason, Lok and Blok isn't working for me the same way the previous formula did. I will have to check with Sabino or move on to another product.

I flat ironed my hair today and it poofed before I could finish :wallbash: Luckily, I was only trying to do a length check and not needing/wanting to style it straight.

Anyway, these sound like some good suggestions. Might have to give them a try.

For the most part I embrace mine, but when I want a little more control I use Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle which knocks out frizz cold.

I don't mind the poof when I wear all my natural hair down in a twist out style or my new curlformers, because I like to volume especially since I have thin hair to start with. When I wear my lace wigs I usually twist my hair in medium sections, then twist them together on each side and pin the ends under. I like no poof under my wigs, so after that I usually put on a satin scarf and let the hair dry that way, so it lays flat. Using good styling products also helps to tame roots and minimize the poof.

Back