Natural ladies vs. nature...

Lil'MissSunshine

Hi ladies!
If you were going camping or spending an extended period of time in the outdoors( several days or weeks). What would you pack for your natural hair. To know what you would do in this instance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks alot!

Lil'MissSunshine

I would get braids of some sort, extensions or cornrow my hair. Will you have running water? You don't need it, of course, just wondering. I've been in very rural areas with my natural hair both braided and loose and braided is easier. I didn't take anything but shampoo and conditioner and a pick. oh and something to tie my hair with. If you get braids, you only need the first 2. If you cowash, you only need conditioner!

Last edited:
Does this camp site have a bathroom/shower area?
Are you in a mobile home?
How long will you be gone?

If you don't have access to water I would be sure to bring some bottled water also carry a spray bottle.

Make yourself a daily spritiz with some conditioner, jojoba oil and aloe vera to use each day. Every other day or two days pour the bottle of water over your head just to give you some moisture.

If you have access to a shower bring one of your cheapie conditioners and do cowashes.

Wear a simple hair design like braids or if you have extensions that will protect your hair also.

Take some hair wraps to cover your head or some caps.

Try to keep it as simple as possible.

Well it would depend on if I could access water/shower or not to wash my hair.

If water access is available to wash:

A simple bottle of shampoo (CON preferably)
A simple bottle of conditioner (Herbal Esssences)
A leave-in of choice.

If water access is not available to wash:

I'd just wear twists
Bring a spray bottle with some moisturizing stuff in it (water, glycerin, oils)
Seabreeze for the scalp.

cornrows work for me. I would pack some ORS carrot oil to make the braids a little smoother and softer.

I do this on the regular. I'm actually heading out to the woods this weekend. Fair disclosure - I ALWAYS have running water available. Mama ain't roughing it that hard for nooooobody.

For either trip, I'm in two strand twists.

For weekends:
Spritzer
Do-Rag

For 4+ days:
Spritzer
Conditioner (the lightest scented one I have - mosquitos love me as it is, no need to start smelling like a flower so the bees/flies/etc, etc love me too!!! :lol:)
Red Palm Oil (which I take anyhow, as it doubles as lotion for me)
Do-rag

Thats it. I do a good cleaning when I get home, but otherwise - I'm not sweating it.

Thanks ladies!
There will be water... lakes and streams. My husband and I will be staying in a location with very limited man-mad resources. I should add that I'm going without any weaves or braids. We are on a mission and my focus can't be my hair this time. As low-maintanance as possible. I hope this helps you guys help me. Thanks again! Lots of love!
Lil'MissSunshine

Thanks ladies!
There will be water... lakes and streams. My husband and I will be staying in a location with very limited man-mad resources. I should add that I'm going without any weaves or braids. We are on a mission and my focus can't be my hair this time. As low-maintanance as possible. I hope this helps you guys help me. Thanks again! Lots of love!
Lil'MissSunshine

*nod* I'd definitely go with box braids or two strand twists. Depending on how your hair handles either (length of 'neat' time, how long you have before they start matting/dreading), they will most likely be the most 'hassle-free' hairdos, and the easiest ones to 'freshen' up. And, you can usually put them in updo's as well, if you need to get your hair out of your face.

If you can, take/use organic shampoos/conditioners, because they will have the least impact on the the environment - possibly even ayurvedics, if you use them, as they would have virtually no impact.

Definitely take multiple scarves - the more you can protect your hair from dust/dirt/ etc, the less you will have to wash it.

*thinks*

Product wise - are you going someplace humid? If so, I wouldn't worry about keeping your hair super moisturized - the environment will handle that. If you are going someplace arid, I'd suggest trying for overnight baggying once or twice a week - you aren't doing anything but sleeping then, and you can put the con on dry hair, and rinse it out during your morning cleansing process.

Urm, I hope that helped some more.

A gentle shampoo
A bottle or 2 of conditioner to cowash with
A wide tooth comb
Dove moisture mist
Elastic bands to pull my hair into a bun with
Silk scarf

Keeo your routine as simple as possible. It would be easier to cowash every day and bun and do a full wash/condition/comb out once a week.

Thanks ladies!
I'll get started mixing all my environementally friendly solutions. Such creative ideas! This low-manip.thing could become addictive!
Lil'MissSunshine

I like this thread. It sorta feels like "Natural Survivor".

Um, I would just take some conditioner and a scarf. I MAY add some extra water or jojoba oil to it to make it "special".

i would probably just take a natural conditioner, a scarf, a spray bottle with moisture(natural oil blend), and a brush to smooth my edges ohh and some hair elastic bands...

that would be it and if i could get away with it i would bun my hair and not do it the whole time

When I went camping for a couple days in the Fall I took a spray bottle of water to wet my hair (for applying/reapplying products) the tap water in the cabin I stayed at was very hard.

I wore braid outs during those days. And re-braided at night. To make it easier to pack I scooped my products into travel size jars. I took only two products: Garnier Fructis curl and shine leave-in and Cantu shea butter leave-in. Those two worked great and I got LOTS of compliments on my braidouts. I should start wearing those on a regular basis :look:.

As a side note: the Cantu has a pleasant tropical scent that even managed to kill the smoke smell from roasting hot dogs and smores over an open camp fire.

:grin:I camped out this summer for 30 days and this is what I did (texlax):

Do NOT bring any smelly products that will attract bugs or animals. Especially do not bring it into your tent if you don't have something safe (preferably something that enlocks smells and hard for animals to get into) to put your products in.
Not sure how much hiking or carrying you'll have to do, but pack lightly.
I only cowashed with Motions CPR or CON green bottle. I used Kids Organics Detangling Lotion, ORS Olive Oil, and Boundless Tresses and Fantasia IC gel with the sparklets. (Yes, that is packing lightly lol).
My hair thrived last summer. All I did were wash-n-gos and when my wng dried and frizzed I put in two french braids. No ponytails b/c new growth was serious.
At night I wore a scarf.

*I'd love to hear more about your trip. PM me if you have any more questions.

ETA: I didn't get individuals (the only type of fake hair I wear) because I was working under the hot sun with a helmet on. Otherwise I *might* have gotten them.
EETA: Add NTM leave-in. Maybe I did bring a lot lol

Last edited:
Back