Natural Ladies..Try Proclaim Gel for Wash and Go's(Pics Included)

kandyland

I've been using this stuff for over a year for my twists/twistout/braids/braidouts and for slicking down the front of my hair when I'm wearing a puff. I experimented one night using it all over, applying it in layers like the curly pudding and this was the result....This stuff continues to amaze me and its cheap 2.99(1.99 on sale) at Sally's.

Check out my Proclaim all over pics(The link says december_2004 but these were pics I took last night and this morning...I recycled an old album)

http://public.fotki.com/Kandyland/december_2004/

i did!!! it left things crunchy though....and i mixed in a moisturizer...i cant deny though, it was cute!!!

ETA: your hair is gorgeous!!! mine takes like two days to dry too...but i never thought of putting a scarf on it and going to bed! :eek: when you apply it, do you comb it through and then put on the scarf, or just apply it and then put on the scarf...also, do you wet it in the morning when you get up??

Last edited:
Shatani said:
i did!!! it left things crunchy though....and i mixed in a moisturizer...i cant deny though, it was cute!!!

reeally?..hmm I use sta sof fro as a leave in b4 I use the gel..but even when I tried it w/o the leave in it didn't get hard...It was too dry but not hard if that makes any sense....

Shatani, we have the same hair texture...do u use any type of gels..I'm always up for trying new things...I tried the Qhemet's honeybrush gel..it didn't do anything for my hair but the smell was heavenly...so I use a little in my hair just for the smell

Shatani said:
i
ETA: your hair is gorgeous!!! mine takes like two days to dry too...but i never thought of putting a scarf on it and going to bed! :eek: when you apply it, do you comb it through and then put on the scarf, or just apply it and then put on the scarf...also, do you wet it in the morning when you get up??

Thank you...I'm trying to be like you when I grow up..your hair is beau-tee-ful. No I didn't comb through it. I detangled in the shower so I didn't want to comb through it again. I applied it in layers and then when I was done I just started shaking it (my daughter had a this lady is crazy look on her face)....Every 20 minutes or so I would shake it again..up until I went to bed..then I put a scarf on. When I wake up its only 25% dry so I don't rewet it I just shake it again.

kandyland said:
reeally?..hmm I use sta sof fro as a leave in b4 I use the gel..but even when I tried it w/o the leave in it didn't get hard...It was too dry but not hard if that makes any sense....

Shatani, we have the same hair texture...do u use any type of gels..I'm always up for trying new things...I tried the Qhemet's honeybrush gel..it didn't do anything for my hair but the smell was heavenly...so I use a little in my hair just for the smell
im not much of a gel person generally.....i just bought this proclaim stuff cuz i was gonna make my own curly pudding type mixture :D i did use the sparklites one by fantasia...it was okay, but when i applied it i couldnt brush anymore or it would just turn white....someone recommended Lets Jam....and it made her hair REAL smooth....i will try that next time im tryin to smooth it out :) generally, my hair is in twists, and when its in puffs and stuff im not a real stickler for the smoothness....

what you said about dry but not hard makes sense...maybe thats what i was trying to say??? who knows! it really defined my coils (i shook it like a madwoman!) and when it dried i felt like they were kinda crunchy....really tight too. when i wanted to detangle, i coated my hair in olive oil...then on top of that some cholesterol and let it sit for hours...then i washed it out and after all that i dentagled and lost like NO hair! twas very cool, indeed....

Brownshugaz said:
Does it make your hair greasy?

It makes my hair greasy...not really greasy but filmy if I re-apply it without washing my hair. If I want it to hang again after shrinkage sets in...I just spritz it with water...or water/conditioner mixture

I always see this gel in Sally's but walk right past it. I thought it would flake or give my hair a hard feeling. You hair does look pretty good though, it has nice curl definition. Maybe I will pick up a small jar and see how it works on my edges; if it doesn't flake, I might give it a try on the length of my hair.

kandyland said:
Thank you...I'm trying to be like you when I grow up..your hair is beau-tee-ful. No I didn't comb through it. I detangled in the shower so I didn't want to comb through it again. I applied it in layers and then when I was done I just started shaking it (my daughter had a this lady is crazy look on her face)....Every 20 minutes or so I would shake it again..up until I went to bed..then I put a scarf on. When I wake up its only 25% dry so I don't rewet it I just shake it again.
aaaaawwww, thank you!! :blush:

thats interesting, i may try that....like i mentioned before im not really into gels...it was really weird feeling all of that product on my hair! even though it looked good....

Your hair looks great Kandyland. This is definitely one of my favorite gels. To get my hair to not be so dried out when I use it I first moisten my hair with Pantene Daily Renewal Treatment(I found that this leaves my hair less frizzy than when I use just water), then apply a little coconut oil/shea butter mixed together. I also tie my hair down with a scarf but first I pull my hair into two low ponytails with satin scrunchies.

The next night to freshen the style I spritz with more Daily Renewal Treatment, do the low ponytails and tie down with a scarf and that way I don't have to apply any more gel but still get the same defined look the next day.

Now, this is what i'm talking about- your hair looks fabulous! How do you get it to be so uniform???????

kristina said:
Now, this is what i'm talking about- your hair looks fabulous! How do you get it to be so uniform???????

Thank you for all the compliments. You know how sometimes u think something is cute, come to find out....to others it REALLY wasn't that cute. LOL I'm glad this isn't one of those situations. I thought it looked cute...I actually wore it out for the first time since my hair was shorter.

Kristina, what do u mean when u say uniform? u mean how did I apply the gel uniformly? Actually I don't think I did...I think I applied more gel in spots than others but since this gel doesn't get hard...it really didn't make a difference...the only difference was in spots where I applied more it took longer to dry.

Divastate said:
The next night to freshen the style I spritz with more Daily Renewal Treatment, do the low ponytails and tie down with a scarf and that way I don't have to apply any more gel but still get the same defined look the next day.

I realized that this morning..My hair was fully dry so I re-wet it, sprayed with SSF....it was still defined and I didn't have to use anymore gel....

Your hair beautiful. I love the style. Now let me get to the point. How the heck did you get so much growth in such a short time? :love: I would love my hair to be your length. It is so long. My hair falls in the shower than it shrinks back up. When I pull on it by back is nearing my shoulders.

very nice. can you please give us a step by step way of doing this stuff? since this is an activator gel, it shouldnt make the hair hard. i have a care fre curl activator gel that i might use for this style. the IC gel made my hair hard so im not feeling it

by uniform I meant that your hair has a nice shape- mine kinda looked like a triangle. plus my curls are all doing different things maybe it was the rattail combing.

i think it just depends on your shrinkage pattern....my hair has no shape, but when i shake and go, it shrinks up so cute!!!

Poohbear said:
your natural hair is beautiful, kandyland!

I agree. :up: I've heard good things about this gel and I will have to try this out. :yep:

Right now I'm using Smooth & Shine Curl Activator gel. It's really good.

Thank you for sharing this with us kandyland. :)

Country gal said:
Your hair beautiful. I love the style. Now let me get to the point. How the heck did you get so much growth in such a short time? :love: I would love my hair to be your length. It is so long. My hair falls in the shower than it shrinks back up. When I pull on it by back is nearing my shoulders.

Girl...its just an illusion..my hair is right at my shoulders when fully stretched..in those pics my hair was about 75% wet so it was stretched out that's why it hung like that..when it dries it shrinks up real bad too...I have a ton of shrinkage.

kristina said:
by uniform I meant that your hair has a nice shape- mine kinda looked like a triangle. plus my curls are all doing different things maybe it was the rattail combing.

oh ok..girl...I think its just the way my hair grows because my hair has no shape whatsoever. My hair is just the opposite of Shatani..when my hair is over 30% wet...it'll hang and sort of blend together and it'll look right...when it fully dries...it looks really crazy cause then u can see the varying lengths...I just end up re-wetting it. Maybe it was the rattail...for me...I detangled in the shower and that was it. Putting on the gel...I used my fingers and then after I just shook it...shook shook shook it. I think people comb/brush through it to seperate the curls but I think shaking it creates a similiar effect.

Dolapo said:
very nice. can you please give us a step by step way of doing this stuff? since this is an activator gel, it shouldnt make the hair hard. i have a care fre curl activator gel that i might use for this style. the IC gel made my hair hard so im not feeling it

The best way to think of it is similiar to the way you apply a relaxer. I wash/conditioned/detangled my hair. I sprayed it with leave-in(Sta-sof-fro).
Then I made 4 sections with my hair 2 front 2 back. Each quadrant I parted the hair downward and added a generous amount of gel from roots to end so that the hair was saturated with gel. I did this all the way around. When I was done I just started shaking my hair left right back front. Every 20 minutes for about an hour I would shake it again. In the morning I woke up and shook it again because it was flat from the scarf but it was still wet so I didn't have to spritz it or anything. Yeah the care free activator gel should work. SugaPlum mentioned that she used smooth and shine curl activator and it works good. I may try that one...although Proclaim is one of my staples and will continue to be...I'm a PJ fo' life.

Back