NATURAL LADIES ONLY! Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor... Yes or NO?

I'm African-American and I'm a natural, not sure what my hair type is, I guess it's about 4a/4b but I had some of this Aphogee 2 min Reconst from my relaxed days and I used it out of curiosity and I kept it on longer than 2 minutes and it made my hair really soft. I liked it.

I typed out this long thing, but obviously my internet knew that i didn't need to post it...but basically, i would think that in your seven years as a member, you would have noticed that most of us use non-"ethnic" products. In my experience, most things specially designed for us are filled with mineral oil and petrolatum, and if they *happen* to have shea butter or something, they are wayyyy down the list and usually mentioned just as a gimmick. until this is not the case, i will buy my aussie, herbal essences and "regular" pantene and add my own jojoba oil and avocado butter.

to answer your question, i am a fine-stranded natural 3c/4a (whose hair happens to hate shea butter). my hair is a protein junkie, so i add a squirt of aphogee 2 min to my moisturizing DC about twice a month, or whenever the mood strikes me. soft, strong hair instantly.

ooh, i forgot to mention....i wash daily in the summer just like those caucasians. i like the feeling of water on my scalp, and my hair has a love affair with cowashing.

LOL...op, I would never have guessed that you've been a member here since 2003.

I see you've edited nationality in the op, but race probably won't help you either. Just because two people are both black doesn't mean they'll have the same type of hair. Why don't you just ask for hair types? I think you will get more informative responses that way.

Anyway... I used to love 2 minute when I was relaxed, but the first time I used it as a natural it made my hair very dry and hard. My hair didn't recover for about a week. I will never use it again. I now use Silicon Mix to DC and it is very balanced so I get just the right amount of moisture and protein.

I typed out this long thing, but obviously my internet knew that i didn't need to post it...but basically, i would think that in your seven years as a member, you would have noticed that most of us use non-"ethnic" products. In my experience, most things specially designed for us are filled with mineral oil and petrolatum, and if they *happen* to have shea butter or something, they are wayyyy down the list and usually mentioned just as a gimmick. until this is not the case, i will buy my aussie, herbal essences and "regular" pantene and add my own jojoba oil and avocado butter.

to answer your question, i am a fine-stranded natural 3c/4a (whose hair happens to hate shea butter). my hair is a protein junkie, so i add a squirt of aphogee 2 min to my moisturizing DC about twice a month, or whenever the mood strikes me. soft, strong hair instantly.

ooh, i forgot to mention....i wash daily in the summer just like those caucasians. i like the feeling of water on my scalp, and my hair has a love affair with cowashing.

^^^^THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU....

Like it was said earlier.. it's all a marketing thing... I use to have that mentality that I can only use AA products..cause i'm AA.. HA...that's a lie.. no matter who it's for..if it works on ya hair..it works..Honestly I use more products geared for the "YT" people then I use AA products... *shrugs* ... it works for me...

anywho..i'm a 4a/b... aphogee doesn't make my hair dry and or hard..it feels good afterwards. It's a good light protein treatment...and Yes please follow any protein light or heavy with moisture..

^^^^THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU....

Like it was said earlier.. it's all a marketing thing... I use to have that mentality that I can only use AA products..cause i'm AA.. HA...that's a lie.. no matter who it's for..if it works on ya hair..it works..Honestly I use more products geared for the "YT" people then I use AA products... *shrugs* ... it works for me...

anywho..i'm a 4a/b... aphogee doesn't make my hair dry and or hard..it feels good afterwards. It's a good light protein treatment...and Yes please follow any protein light or heavy with moisture..

Yup, that whole black products vs white products went out the window when I joined LHCF. :yep: When I discovered the joy that is co-washing and I could buy aaaaalll those heavenly smelling "white girl" hair products, I never looked back, LOL.

Def gonna track down the aphogee 2 min reconstructer...I just coloured my hair recently and it's drier and shedding (breaking?) way more than I'm used to.

Please give me your personal testimony of how the Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor has worked or not worked for you. Please only respond if you are Natural. I am considering purchasing, but I am concerned over the damage or protein overload a this reconstructor can cause to hair in a healthy state.

Please also include your hair type and if you are African American/Caucasian/Spanish/etc.

Thanks!

It's been extremely good for my hair. I have been using it weekly for the entire month of Feb and so far March. It's really good for scare babies like me that are afraid to use the full Protein Treatment which I would need the head dryer for.

That's another good thing about this product. You don't need heat to use the 2 min. So that's a plus in my book. I always follow up with a deep conditioner.

My hair is 4c very tightly coiled..no curls unless i really work my hair.

I use it twice monthly..My hair is shedding a lot..so this helps a little.

OMG... Please! Pretty Please forgive me for using the incorrect term, "nationality". I meant "race". But if you still disagree, I can respect that it doesn't matter to you, but it matters to me. If that bothers you, there's nothing I can do about that. Simply ignore that part of the question.
If you want to debate something... Write the powers that be about the word "negro" on the census forms. This hair stuff is soooooo not that serious.

Please continue to post useful comments to those naturals wondering about Aphogee and lets not get way off subject and turn this into a discussion about nationality. Because I'm sure everyone will agree that there is nothing more annoying than reading through a thread for information that you really need and having to sift through a thousand posts that have nothing to do with the original subject.

Thanks!

What if the person is African American but has 2a hair? Which is a common hair type with non-Black people? Would that still matter to you?

I think you want to know if the 2 min works on certain types of hair textures that are common for Black people. If that is the case then simply state that instead of bringing in the race issue. Because if you believe that it's annoying reading through a thread for information you really don't need then you shouldn't put the extra information in there that doesn't have anything to do with the real issue, which is how does Aphogee 2 Min works for hair textures that are common for Black people?

That's what I think you really want to know right?

Leaving the drama......i'll give you what you asked for...which was my opinion on Aphogee 2 minute. I use it (3c/4a, fine, mixed (mainly african american)) and I LOVE it!! It leaves my hair sooo soft like it is moisturizing as well? It is strange. Now the 2 step.. is too much. But given the price and greatness of the 2 minute I definately reccomend it!

Hazellboo.. 9.99 out of 10 folks here are some sort of black folks. Don't worry about answers you get here coming from some blondie. :)

im 4/a natural.... i been wanting to try this 2 min recontrustor, but i havent becuz the green tea reconstructor has been working just great... as a lite protien fix.

Please give me your personal testimony of how the Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor has worked or not worked for you.
I like that I don't have to follow-up with a moisturizing DC. I still have lil' broken hairs but 'einh.' As I've mentioned before I haven't come accross any product that's stopped my hair breakage completely.

Please only respond if you are Natural. I am considering purchasing, but I am concerned over the damage or protein overload a this reconstructor can cause to hair in a healthy state.
No protein overload for me. I use it the next time I wash after a blowdry. Before a blowdry, I use the heavy protein treatment.

Please also include your hair type and if you are African American/Caucasian/Spanish/etc.
Black type 4.

Thanks!

I've used the 2 min reconstructor as well as the green tea, the two step, and the leave in. I use the 2 step every 6 weeks, and the 2 min reconstructor I was using all the time at first, but my hair started to break like crazy, so I think I'm going to just use it with my dc every week...but I love the green tea reconstructor and the leave in is okay...the 2 min does make your hair incredibly soft and shiny!! oh I'm bi-racial (black and mexican) with 3b-3c hair...

LOL...op, I would never have guessed that you've been a member here since 2003.

I see you've edited nationality in the op, but race probably won't help you either. Just because two people are both black doesn't mean they'll have the same type of hair. Why don't you just ask for hair types? I think you will get more informative responses that way.

Anyway... I used to love 2 minute when I was relaxed, but the first time I used it as a natural it made my hair very dry and hard. My hair didn't recover for about a week. I will never use it again. I now use Silicon Mix to DC and it is very balanced so I get just the right amount of moisture and protein.

I don't use the Andre Walker Hair system to determine which products to use. Primarily because it does not address several variances with curly hair such as women with multiple types in their scalp. In fact, there are several people who disagree with the system, even on this site... But again, everyone of us have the right to choose how we want to determine which products we use. And none of us have the right to force a hair system on any of us. Do you disagree with that?

Personally, I prefer to use race and the ratio of good comments to bad comments. You and I are both "4A" according to the hair type chart. However, the 2 min worked wonders on my hair, but it dried-out your hair. Case and point. So, I prefer to consider all comments on a product from African American women, then the good to bad ratio. Ie. if 7 out of 10 say they like it, I will give it a shot. If 7 out of 10 say it made their hair fall out, I probably won't give it a shot.

Again, if any of you have a problem with the way I choose to handle my hair, that's not my problem, is it? It's yours...

First, the day I became a member has nothing to do with how often I log into this site, or how much I participate in threads. I log in to this site probably once every two years and only when I want info on a particular product. I think your computer was right...

Well, I used the 2 min and I must say I LOVED it! Thank you so much for all of your help! I shampoo'd and conditioned with my Design Essentials (DE) products and used the Reconstructor in between, then blowdried with my CHI Rocket and DE leave in and silk essentials. I flat ironed with my FHI Runway and DE heat protectant gloss. Ladies, my hair looks better than it does at the salon! I am so happy that I gave caring for my own hair a try. I will continue with this regimen in the future.

Can someone teach me how to post a pict in the comment?

Oh!! I almost forgot. I went to Sally Beauty yesterday for the 2 min and they have these plastic heating caps for deep conditioners. Did you know about these? It was really easy to use. You just put your deep conditioner in your hair, then put the cap on. The excess plastic comes down your forehead about 2 inches. Then, you use the blowdyer to seal the cap (you blowdry all over the cap for 1 minute and it seals it to your forehead, neck and around your ears so that the heat will stay in). After 20 minutes, you just cut it off, and viola! You're done. It really beats sitting under that dryer!

Thanks again!

Last edited:
What if the person is African American but has 2a hair? Which is a common hair type with non-Black people? Would that still matter to you?

I think you want to know if the 2 min works on certain types of hair textures that are common for Black people. If that is the case then simply state that instead of bringing in the race issue. Because if you believe that it's annoying reading through a thread for information you really don't need then you shouldn't put the extra information in there that doesn't have anything to do with the real issue, which is how does Aphogee 2 Min works for hair textures that are common for Black people?

That's what I think you really want to know right?

There is no race "issue". The only people making this an issue are those who are picking my post apart. Not all people agree with that hair system - I am one of them. In fact, there was a big debate on the systems accuracy back when the system debuted on Oprah. So to me it's not extra information, it's what IIIIII choose to use to determine which products IIIIII use. If that bothers you, maybe you should pray about the fact that you have a hard time accepting that other people's opinions differ from yours... Unless of course you don't believe in God... But even if you don't.... I won't pressure you to the way you are trying to pressure me into posing a question the way YOU think I should.

Last edited:
I think im gonna use this after I take down my celues since im going to put them right back in for another month and during that month im using mostly all moisurizing products.

Back