Natural ladies - how do you refresh your curls?

I guess it would make sense for me to share how I refresh my curls now. LOL I got so caught up in everything else. I'm still rather new at this but this is what has worked best for me so far.

The front of my hair is heat damaged pretty badly so I twist and curl the front third at night and pineapple the rest. When I shower I tie a scarf around the front of my hair (still in their curlers) like a headband to protect them from the water/steam in the shower. I leave the back two thirds up in its pineapple, uncovered. I shower, letting the steam work it's magic on my hair and immediately after I get out I take down the pineappled portion and divide the section horizontally about 3 or 4 times. I spray each section with a mixture of water, 100% aloe vera juice, some Kinky Curly Knot Today and Kinky Curly Spiral Spritz. (it's essentially everything I put in my hair when I do a full wash or a WnG but instead of layering it's all mixed up into one step. And I use the Spiral Spritz as opposed to the Curling Custard.) Best refreshed day I've had yet!

I'm a KinkyCurly girl all the way for the 2nd straight summer & I refresh my curls with a mix of Spiral Spritz, water, aloe vera juice/gel, and a few drops of WGO light (in the yellow bottle) & KinkyCurly's Perfectly Polished oil. If the
hair seems to be a bit too dry, I'll spray my hair with the handheld shower on lowest power, do a "wet dog" shake to get rid of the excess & then use the spritz mix. One thing I do notice is that if I apply a little oil to my hair at night, it retains enough moisture so that I don't have to shower soak it first. The result is that the curls will last a week or more & I don't have to manipulate my hair much at all.

Unfortunately, I start from scratch each day. All these bonnets and scarves do is flatten my curls. And pineappling only helps a little, it straightens my curls where I put it up.

I have the same issues. For now, I just find a gel that gives me 2 - 3 day hair and start over if necessary. I sleep on a satin pillowcase. No head ties, scarves, pineapples, or other fancy do-rags! :lachen: Sometimes it's necessary on day 3, sometimes it's necessary on day 1. I got third day hair from L'oreal Curl Defining Gel, so I'm pretty happy with that...for now :lol:

I have to wet it every single day.

Either with a spray bottle of water mixed with Hairveda Silica spray or I rinse it or co-wash it in the shower and apply moisturizer and/or oil.

Otherwise, my hair sticks to my head like helmet.

This is all really helpful. Thank you ladies. (I also feel good to know that I'm not the only one who has to start from scratch daily . . . even if it's just wetting my hair and then reapplying some Miss Jessie's Quick Curls.) I do experience the mushed up hair after using a bonnet (or even after wetting my hair and using a cap overnight to try and get some conditioning action going).

reeko43 About this Gwrap - how is it different from just using a scarf? *scratches head*

Before bed, I section my hair. Then, I spray each section with water, apply CFC Instant Moisturizer, gel, and oil. Next, I twist my hair and put a satin covered roller on each twist. I usually end up with about 6 twists. I tie a satin scarf on my head and cover that with a satin bonnet. I use the bonnet over the scarf to keep my pillows from getting wet.

The next morning my hair is still wet. I put some oil on my fingers and remove the rollers and un-twist my hair. I shake it, style it, then go. My hair dries soft and curly.

knt1229 said:
Before bed, I section my hair. Then, I spray each section with water, apply CFC Instant Moisturizer, gel, and oil. Next, I twist my hair and put a satin covered roller on each twist. I usually end up with about 6 twists. I tie a satin scarf on my head and cover that with a satin bonnet. I use the bonnet over the scarf to keep my pillows from getting wet.

The next morning my hair is still wet. I put some oil on my fingers and remove the rollers and un-twist my hair. I shake it, style it, then go. My hair dries soft and curly.

Knt I'm transitioning and I do the same exact thing when wearing twist outs

You all are troopers for starting from scratch everyday. I used to do that a few years ago and it drove me crazy, then again that was back when I was transitioning and I didn't know as much as I do now, so it was probably such a hassle because I was doing things oh so wrong and I had the mixed textures. But I am happy that I found a refresher method that works well for me.

I do however want to try a wet retwist as a refresher but I can't because I work overnight so I sleep in two 3 hour shifts as opposed to straight through the night, so I know if I rewet my hair, twist and sleep for 3 hours it won't be dry and if I untwist it I'll just have massive frizz, so that's just not a feasible option for me right now. :cry:

@reeko43 About this Gwrap - how is it different from just using a scarf? *scratches head*

Not to good at explaining but, scarves flatten my hair. I have to tie extra tight to keep the scarf from sliding off. With this Gwrap, which is made like a hood, I don't have to tie as tight. Also, there is a band of lace across the front. I position that band further down on my forehead so that it doesn't slide and rub against my edges. The lace doesn't leave lines in my forehead either. I can then tie the sashes around the perimeter of my head but the hooded middle does not smash my hair. The Gwrap stays in place

Back