Natural ladies, how do YOU moisturize? I am having dry hair issues.

Thanks, Nonie.
Do you ever seal after the S Curl?
When you baggie for the night do you do anything to cover your edges?

No, I don't seal after S Curl. I use it alone. My favorite "baggy" is Saran wrap. Not only does it lie flat against my forehead so that there's no mark/indention in the morning, since I place the edge far down on my forehead, there's no rubbing on my hairline. Also, if the baggy noise annoys you, Saran wrap can be placed against your head in a flat way that doesn't rustle and that can also be nicely concealed under a scarf. I usually use Saran wrap when I baggy under a headwrap or hat.

SaranWrap-vi.jpg

When I'd use a plastic cap, I'd fold the elastic part back over the plastic so that it isn't against my head and also pull it forward a bit so it's not smack dab over the hairline edge.

I'm working on introducing sealing to my regimen using Vaseline and I plan to only use it on the ends. Otherwise, the rest of my hair will be simply S Curled as always.

Last edited:
As others have stated, if your hair is looking dull, it's your products. I had to completely change my products around because my hair was lookin' ashy! Since making the switch, my hair is healthy looking and "swing"-ier than ever!!!

I cut my hair major slack now. If it's not behaving, I blame my products not my HAIR!:grin:

S-Curl sealed with hempseed oil on dry hair nightly

on wash day - jane carter or giovanni direct leave in sealed with hempseed oil

@Nonie- (sorry, I guess I have stalker tendencies) You mentioned a while ago that you strighten with a (Remington Wet2Dry) flatiron. What is your moisturizing regimen when you straighten. Thanks.

@MadisonK- That Wash n go is fire (do people still say that?) all curly/springy/shiny and what is Honeyquat. Thanks.

@Nonie- (sorry, I guess I have stalker tendencies) You mentioned a while ago that you strighten with a (Remington Wet2Dry) flatiron. What is your moisturizing regimen when you straighten. Thanks.

@MadisonK- That Wash n go is fire (do people still say that?) all curly/springy/shiny and what is Honeyquat. Thanks.

Thanks! It has come a long way. lol I am reading about Honeyquat right now. I'm obsessed with this stuff. I put about 1 tsp in a little spray bottle with water and about 1 tsp of silk amino acids and spray on my hair before applying products. I can tell a BIG difference in how moist my hair stays. B-I-G! Here's what lontioncrafter.com says about it:

Honeyquat PF (Paraben Free) is a naturally derived quaternized conditioning agent made from honey with excellent moisture binding capabilities (far more powerful than glycerin) for use on skin and hair in both leave-on and rinse-off applications. It is substantive and moisturizing and with it's low molecular weight, able to penetrate hair to provide its moisturizing benefits over time while providing shine and luster. Honeyquat will improve wet-combability of the hair and reduce static buildup when dry combing.

That wasn't me who uses a Remington flatiiron. I use Babyliss, but I do use the wet-to-dry technique. I do not use any moisturizer while wearing my hair straight. It would not make sense since it's coated completely with a serum I believe to be water-proof. What I do is make sure that I deep condition well beforehand and then the wet-to-dry technique seems to further ensure my hair is moisturized--at least that is the spiel those who make wet-to-dry irons claim it does: add moisture to hair. After that, I seal the moisture I trust is now contained within my hair with a serum and enjoy straight hair for days that isn't gooey, or sticky but that is soft and feels somewhat moisturized.

I get bored with straight hair very quickly so I'm yet to wear it for more than a week. But for the time I wear it straight, I don't miss moisturizers. But I am also the same person who goes an entire year w/o moisturizing my hair with any leave-ins when in braids. I just shampoo/condition/ACV rinse and baggy, otherwise my hair is usually bare. So when my hair is straight, it actually has more products than I am used to having left on my hair: the spray I use for the wet-to-dry press; and the serum I use for the second pass.

Funny that this was bumped over 18 months later. I have finally (as of last week) found something to moisturize my hair for more than a few hours.

Thanks to Kimmaytube on youtube.
I am using her leave-in conditioner mix (using Aussie Moist as a base) and it works!!

I have used it for about 1 week now. I used the leave in on damp hair and flat twisted last night, around 11 p.m. and 24 hours later my twists are still moisturized! I sleep in a silk scarf with my bonnet on top (since the silk scarf slips).

The key is either the leave-in or leaving my hair in twists (maybe braids/cornrows)?
My loose hair, after using the leave-in mix on twists the night before, also stayed moisturized all day.

My plan is to wash/condition and use the leave in mix this weekend and cornrow my hair. If my cornrows stay moisturized for 2 -3 days, I will be thrilled.

Last edited:
great info here chicas! i'm thrilled this was bumped.

OP it's great you found a method that works for you... even tho it's 18mths later. i know exactly how you feel tho, it took me about that long to discover glicerin and aloe juice. and the difference between sealants and moisturizers. and by "just about that long" i think i mean 15yrs or so :lol:

off to buy some honeyquat!

I'm becoming an anti-butters and humectants activist LOL my hair is shiny and moisturized without them. I very lightly dampen my hair and add conditioner mixed with a little bit of oil every night. Butters last for say... 3 hours and then they give me dull dry hair.

Back