Natural ladies, how do YOU moisturize? I am having dry hair issues.

naturalmanenyc

I realized that by going natural I will likely have to wet my hair every day (cowash, water rinse, something).

For several months now I have washed, cowashed or water rinsed my hair, then added a moisturizer and sealed with oil.....but still when my hair has dried, it looks, well DRY. I got to the point of DH even asking why my hair looks so dry.

How is everyone maintaining moisture and shine? Do you moisturize more than once per day?

Last edited:
I moisturize twice a day with a water based moisturizer (CD black vanilla leave-in+Aloe Vera+soft water) and seal with hair butters in the winter and natural oils in the summer time.

DCing at least once a week also helps.

Why have you decided you'll have to wet your hair daily? Anyway, the best way for my hair to feel moisturized is to apply the moisturizer to wet hair. Adding oil on top of it ("sealing") doesn't hurt. And if you're going for shine, it helps. I can't let my hair dry loose, so I twist or braid. But in fact this also helps the moisturizer to really absorb. That is, it absorbs better if you braid or twist the hair afterwards vs. leaving it loose.

Maybe your hair has a lot of residue or buildup that's making it look dull? I know some moisturizers make hair look dull, too. I saw someone's side by side comparison where she put one moisturizer on one side and a different one on the other side. One one side, it definitely looked like the hair had a coating of film.

My hair goes through dry spells sometimes, but it is feeling really soft and moisturized right now while dry and what I am currently doing is cowashing with a silicone free conditioner which helps because I don't have to shampoo so often. I use Burt's Bees moisturizing shampoo, I think it's Raspberry Brazil Nut or something and although it doesn't have sulfates it is kind of drying and when I use regular cone conditioner, I end up using the shampoo at least two or three times a week. I haven't used it since ummm I think last week monday when I washed out some heat protectant from straightening my hair. I've been using some Matrix Biolage conditioner, I think its called moisturizing balm or something. It isn't sensational or anything, there isn't much slip but I just put it in my hair, leave it while I shower and then quickly soak half my head so that it is heavy and wet but minimal product is washed out and then detangle. Once I can glide the comb through it all, I comb it out under the water once and then get out. That way there is hardly any resistance to the comb and I get to leave some product in evenly distributed. After I get out, I rub some shealoe in my hair and today I actually remembered and started using that Moe's growth oil again. My hair is really really soft when it dries and the curls are starting to become s'. I've also been weaving and wigging it up and forgetting about it literally. I was rocking my son to sleep and I rubbed my scalp the other day because I felt tired and I couldn't believe how soft my hair was. I'm sticking to wigs though because the last dry spell I had was due to me really forgetting about my hair while in a weave. I only kept it in for maybe a week or something, but still lol. For a few weeks I would just weave my hair, take it down in a week, wash it, weave it up again and it was starting to take its toll. I had dandruff and my hair wasn't responding to anything I did to it really. I DCed like once and it helped a little bit, so I told myself I would go buy a real DC (I just mixed olive oil and honey into one of my jason's conditioners and left it on with a shower cap for a few hours) but I procrastinated and just started wigging it with daily co washes, but before I knew it my hair bounced back with a vengence. I know it is a lot of rambling but that is what I am doing currently and the result is rather nice. I've had soft moisturized hair while using cone conditioners as opposed to cone free (nothing beats the slip of a cone), but as of now, my hair is thriving without them. I'm almost done this conditioner though and I am scared now that what I buy next may put me back at square one though

Winter weather had me whipping out my Qhemet's AOHC and AONC.

The artificial heat has my stuff feeling dry especially the ends and the alma & olive heavy cream helps them stay feeling moisturized. I use a tiny dab on the hair and massage it into my ends, a little goes a long way. The 3rd ingredient if I'm not mistaken is water.

The alma oil pomade gives a nice sheen and also helps soften up the hair.

Last edited:
Thanks ladies.

Right now I am in wigs so I cowash (WEN Fig) or water rinse my hair daily so that I can pull it back. After cowashing/rinsing, I then add moisturizer or leave-in so I can pull it back into a ponytail (which I clip up). I then cover my hair with a durag and then my wig. I have not tried twists and I do not yet know how to cornrow my own hair.

This morning around 8:30 a.m. I water rinsed my hair and added KBB White Tea Hair Nectar. I covered my hair with the durag (clipped up ponytail) and then added my wig. As of now, 7 p.m., the very back of my hair (by the clip) is still damp but the front is dry and it looks DRY. I did not seal with an oil so that could be the issue.

I'm gonna try a deep conditioning with the KBB luscious locks (amla, nettle and some other herbs are in this one). Hopefully that will help....along with some braids/plaits.

Last edited:
I apply Giovanni Direct and seal ends with Unrefined Shea Butter and seal the length of my hair with coconut oil. Then finally I seal with Castor Oil. My hair has never felt better!

Winter weather had me whipping out my Qhemet's AOHC and AONC.

The artificial heat has my stuff feeling dry especially the ends and the alma & olive heavy cream helps them stay feeling moisturized. I use a tiny dab on the hair and massage it into my ends, a little goes a long way. The 3rd ingredient if I'm not mistaken is water.

The alma oil pomade gives a nice sheen and also helps soften and the hair.

I use Alma and Olive Heavy Cream also.

I usually spray a water based conditioner on my hair every day but while on Christmas vacation I didn't because I was really sick and my hair was very dry as a result. After washing it and letting it air dry my hair still felt dry soI sprayed a little of my conditioner on my hair and then put a baggie and scarf on my head before I went to bed and it did the trick.

What fabric is your du-rag? It might be drying out your hair.

Also, I would try either some twists or just big celie braids underneath your wig. That may help you moisturize better. I know with my hair is necessary for me to make sure I moisturize every single section really well.

When I was wearing wigs I rinsed my hair every day and then slathered some castor oil on my celie braids. My hair stayed super moisturized. Now I just dampen my hair every evening, add castor oil, and then bantu knot. I wear my hair out every day and it stays soft and moisturized.

Also, check the ingredients of your moisturizer maybe it just doesn't agree with your hair or it has something that's causing dryness.

The durag is spandex like (polyester I think).....although it's allegedly satin.:rolleyes: I sleep in a silk scarf though.

I have some castor oil....but don't use it daily. I need to find a larger bottle.

My White Tea Hair Nectar - Purified Water, Grapeseed Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Vegetable Wax, Panthenol, Yucca Extract, Horsetail Extract, Nettle Extract, Melissa Extract, Essential and/or Fragrance Oil, Vitamin E and Natural Enzymes.

My hair milk - Purified Water, Jojoba and Avocado Oils, Vegetable Wax, Vitamin E, Panthenol, Arnica and Calendula Flowers, Echinacea, Nettle and Horsetail Exctracts, Vegetable Glycerin, Wheat Germ Oil, Fragrence Oil and Natural Enzymes

What fabric is your du-rag? It might be drying out your hair.

Also, I would try either some twists or just big celie braids underneath your wig. That may help you moisturize better. I know with my hair is necessary for me to make sure I moisturize every single section really well.

When I was wearing wigs I rinsed my hair every day and then slathered some castor oil on my celie braids. My hair stayed super moisturized. Now I just dampen my hair every evening, add castor oil, and then bantu knot. I wear my hair out every day and it stays soft and moisturized.

Also, check the ingredients of your moisturizer maybe it just doesn't agree with your hair or it has something that's causing dryness.

The durag is spandex like (polyester I think).....although it's allegedly satin.:rolleyes: I sleep in a silk scarf though.

I have some castor oil....but don't use it daily. I need to find a larger bottle.

My White Tea Hair Nectar - Purified Water, Grapeseed Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Vegetable Wax, Panthenol, Yucca Extract, Horsetail Extract, Nettle Extract, Melissa Extract, Essential and/or Fragrance Oil, Vitamin E and Natural Enzymes.

My hair milk - Purified Water, Jojoba and Avocado Oils, Vegetable Wax, Vitamin E, Panthenol, Arnica and Calendula Flowers, Echinacea, Nettle and Horsetail Exctracts, Vegetable Glycerin, Wheat Germ Oil, Fragrence Oil and Natural Enzymes

Definitely switch your du-rag as soon as you can, that polyester is just sucking out all the moisture in your hair. I know they make silk wig caps (though I don't know where to get them). Or you can just go to a fabric store and buy some silk or satin and use that under your wig. Since you're wearing it all day, it makes a difference.

I don't know what vegetable wax is, but waxes in general tend to not work for my hair. But if it's all natural it may be different. The other thing I noticed is the glycerine. I know glycerine works best when there is humidity/moisture that it can draw from since it's an humectant. Otherwise, it draws the miosture from your hair. That's why people use it a lot more in the summer than in the winter.

But, I don't think the small amount of glycerine in the produts is your biggest worry. I really think it's your du-rag.

In my best Florida Evans voice "Damn, Damn, Damn"

Just when I go to order my Amla & olive heavy cream, I get this message.

Sorry, Qhemet Biologics will be closed from January 5th to January 31st to restock inventory. We will continue to ship orders and reopen on February 1. Thank you for your patience!

I had that same problem at first. For me I find out that co washing daily with a good conditoner like Creame of Nature or Motions Moisture Plus Condtioner helps alot. Also moisturizering your hair daily especially when it is wet with a good product helps. I use UBH moisturizer and dew spray.

For me the biggest thing is using the good hair products that really seal in moisture and staying away from moisturizers that have protein in it. Protein makes your hair hard. My hair now is always so soft and silky that i can't keep my hands out of it alot of the times. It's more soft and silky than my friend and she's white with bone straight hair!:yep:

I section my hair, spritz with water and massage almond oil on the lengh of my hair. I seal my ends with castor oil.

I like the Amla and Olive heavy cream too. I ran out though and am just using the amla pomade and its making my hair soft

interesting...

I have one of those fake satin caps :(

I just purchased some satin from the fabric store but it doesnt stay on as well.

... sigh...

Last edited:
When I apply moisturizer, I go over hair with low-warm blow dryer with diffuser. It seems to make the product stick to my hair and oh my does it feel and look full oof moisture. My avi is an indication of what it does to my twist out.

I also have been DC'ing under warm dryer WITHOUT plastic cap. OMG does it make my hair feel like silk. NO TANGLES.

When I apply moisturizer, I go over hair with low-warm blow dryer with diffuser. It seems to make the product stick to my hair and oh my does it feel and look full oof moisture. My avi is an indication of what it does to my twist out.

I also have been DC'ing under warm dryer WITHOUT plastic cap. OMG does it make my hair feel like silk. NO TANGLES.

This is really good info -

REG's Wife - you should really go shopping for a 100% Silk Fabric to wrap your hair in....Additonally - you might need to switch out the Glycerin - for Na PCA or another moisture product for the time being....
in the Summer - Glycerin is ok... in the winter... there can be less humidity!
Hugs!

Tell me more big sis....
Break it down like I am in 4th grade.

I also moisturize twice a day...using thick, heavy stuff like Sheamoisture, Curl Junkie, Carrot Cream, etc. Oh and no silicones or sulfates!

Deep conditioning really helps too. :)

Last edited:
Tell me more big sis....
Break it down like I am in 4th grade.

Wash Day:
1: After wash, leave absorbant towel on for about 20 - 30 minutes. Hair will be mildly damp with No Drips!
2: Section hair, apply just a bit of LBB with/without protein, smooth into hair. Pin hair up loosely so ends are directly under top of hood dryer
3: Sit under medium hair dryer for about 30 minutes
4: Rinse
5. leave absorbant towel on for about 1 hour. I change to a dry towel after 30 minutes. Hair will be very mildly damp, this is the best time to manipulate without snapping hairs.
6: Let air dry. Hair will be rocking moisturized!
7: Apply sealer oil/butter.
8:Style

To add moisture during week:
1: Apply LBB with a bit of other moisturizer in large sections (I do 4). Seal with a bit of oil/butter if you'd like.
2: Take blowdryer (low-heat with diffuser) and go over each section, gently working in the moisturizer.
3: Hair will melt into you fingers
4: I get endless moisturized hair and seem to only need to do this in the middle of the week.

S CURL on the day you wash your hair and baggying nightly. No additional application necessary until after you wash your hair again. Works like a charm. (If you apply to damp hair, it will dry hard, but don't let that put you off. Re-apply to the now dry hair and baggy for the night, every night, and you will enjoy soft, moisturized hair for days.)

I moisturize when I wake up and when I go to sleep, depending on my schedule and how my hair feels during the day. Even though my natural, I wear my hair straight most of the time because I can moisturize more easily despite having a lot of hair. I use Pantene Relaxed & Natural cream moisturizer for my hair strands and Doo-Gro Anti-Breakage Growth lotion for my ends.

On wash days I use Pantene Relaxed & Natural moisturizing shampoo. I have to be particular about what moisturizers I wash with. My hair feels weird and my scalp has more flakes if I apply too much moisture.

Back