Natural Heat Protectants???

thinkpinkprincess

What are some natural ingrediants that I can incorporate into my regimine and use before blowdrying/flat ironing that act as heat protectants? Info is mucho appreciated!!! :grin:

Good question.

I might have to blowdry my hair in a couple of days. If I get good results with castor oil and coconut oil I'll check back and let you know.

Bumping. My friend and I were curious about this as well. I heard from a lady at Sally's that cones are what protect our hair from heat, and Giovanni (an organic beauty company) makes a serum that has a cone in it that could be used as a heat protectant. I also read somewhere on this site that coconut oil could be used as a heat protectant, but I'm not totally sure if that's true or not.

Bumping. My friend and I were curious about this as well. I heard from a lady at Sally's that cones are what protect our hair from heat, and Giovanni (an organic beauty company) makes a serum that has a cone in it that could be used as a heat protectant. I also read somewhere on this site that coconut oil could be used as a heat protectant, but I'm not totally sure if that's true or not.
I think I've heard that about coconut oil as well! :yep: I'm kind of scared of cones though because I've heard heard so many bad things about them hear on this board that I am trying to avoid them! lol

I think I've heard that about coconut oil as well! :yep: I'm kind of scared of cones though because I've heard heard so many bad things about them hear on this board that I am trying to avoid them! lol

Yeah. I'm not too fond of the idea of cones either. My hair doesn't like them very much :nono:. They work well for a time, but then a notice after a while my ends start getting really dry and tangly. I'm now on a no cone routine and my hair feels much more hydrated for it :yep:. Maybe we should ask Irresistable. She uses coconut oil and sometimes heat styles. Maybe she uses it as a heat protectant.

Using a single cones product on the rare occasion is not gonna do any harm. I mean seriously. I think that cones have gotten such a bad rap on this board that there are a lot of misconceptions going around.

Cones in it self are not bad. The problems that can occur are from too much build up which can block out moisture. Products that contain cheap ingredients (ie. petroleum, alcohol) and cones thus getting locked into the hair (by the cones), causing dryness or breakage. Also frequent cone use can hide damage; Although in itself they are not damaging. There are those people, who just do not like the coated feeling on their hair. And then you have those who say that their hair rejects cones.

Now not ALL cones protect from thermal heat. Some cones will break down under a certain temperature. So it is imperative that the product you use for heat styling states that it is for HEAT PROTECTION.

Buy a quality heat protector and you wont have to worry about crappy ingredients getting locked into your strands and creating havoc on the hair. Or you can buy a straight up cone product, which don't contain any fillers or added ingredients such as, Moisture block, The End by Maxius or IC hair polish.

DO NOT use oil as a heat protection. Please. Oil + heat = sizzle sizzle.

Last edited:
There was another thread about this by naturalgurl a few days ago. I know that you have to be careful with any oil and heat because you can end up cooking your hair. Let me see if I can find that thread...

ETA: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=297035&highlight=

That was what I was afraid of. I certainly don't want crispy-fried bacon hair! :lachen:...:nono:. But maybe if you put the coconut oil in your hair while your hair is wet and allow it to dry before you straighten (and only using a small amount of coconut oil) it may serve as a heat protectant. I remember reading online about this one woman (white) who always used to burn when she was at the beach and never tan. But then she started coating her skin with coconut oil and now she never burns. I think it has natural spf properties, but I'm not sure about direct heat.

Hydratherma Naturals has a heat protectant. I haven't looked at the ingredients. The owner is a member of LHCF.

www.healthyhairjourney.com

This product has lots of cones. And the horrible layout of the site is enough to make me not buy these products :ohwell:

Check out this quote from an article on glycerin at NC

"Many heat-styling techniques can generate sufficient heat to boil the water inside the hair shaft, which can cause terrible breakage. One way to prevent or minimize this problem is to coat the hair with an emollient that seals in the moisture and that does not transfer the heat from the appliance to the hair as readily. Unfortunately, glycerin conducts thermal energy pretty efficiently (it transfers heat readily to the hair), especially when compared to silicones, proteins, and polyquaternium conditioning ingredients. For that reason, use glycerin sparingly and in combination with a more insulating and protective moisturizer when using any sort of heated drying or styling treatments."

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-the-goods-on-glycerin This is a great article

I agree that oil doesn't protect from heat.

Heat protectants work because the ingredients actually either disperse or absorb the heat leaving your hair less affected. They probably have a high melting point (coconut oil melts in your hands :nono:) as well.

However, that doesn't mean they don't have ANY benefit while straightening. I guess it's better than putting nothing on your hair, but I wouldn't consider any oil an actual heat protectant.

I'm thinking the closest thing to a natural heat protectant would be proteins imo. SAA, wheat protein... light plant based proteins.

Also, aloe vera looks a little promising. It has a high protein content and it's moisturizing at the same time.

I agree that oil doesn't protect from heat.

Heat protectants work because the ingredients actually either disperse or absorb the heat leaving your hair less affected. They probably have a high melting point (coconut oil melts in your hands :nono:) as well.

However, that doesn't mean they don't have ANY benefit while straightening. I guess it's better than putting nothing on your hair, but I wouldn't consider any oil an actual heat protectant.

I'm thinking the closest thing to a natural heat protectant would be proteins imo. SAA, wheat protein... light plant based proteins.

Also, aloe vera looks a little promising. It has a high protein content and it's moisturizing at the same time.

what about sunblock/UV protection/ SPF?? they are supposed to help protect hair from the sun right? so maybe they would do the same with heat, if it was high enough? :look: just trying to think about this thing....

I heard that coconut oil has a low boiling point though. Someone somewhere on this board looked it up. It's liquid as an oil due to the chain of the essential fatty acids not due to low tolerance of heat.

what about sunblock/UV protection/ SPF?? they are supposed to help protect hair from the sun right? so maybe they would do the same with heat, if it was high enough? :look: just trying to think about this thing....
the heat from the sun is not the same as THERMAL heat :)

Elasta QP Silk is the only product I have been able to find that says it is a heat protectant and does not have cones.

Ingredients:

Water, Polyquaternium-11, PVP, Steartrimonium Hydrolyzed Collagen Protein, Hydroxyethyl Cellulose, Polysorbate-20, Citric Acid, DMDM Hydantoin, Imidazolindinyl Urea, Fragrance

Here is more info about heat damage and preventing it (If you like using heat than I wouldn't read them cause their pretty scary:nono: ):

http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/04/29/how-to-protect-your-hair-from-heat-damage/

http://www.beautysecretsblog.net/2008/07/28/3-ways-to-protect-your-hair-from-heat/

I heard that coconut oil has a low boiling point though. Someone somewhere on this board looked it up. It's liquid as an oil due to the chain of the essential fatty acids not due to low tolerance of heat.

I dunno, it's possible I guess.

I would think that since we actually can cook/fry things in on our stove tops (300, 350 degrees?) that the heat would go right to the hair.

the heat from the sun is not the same as THERMAL heat :)

True. Sun protection not as in heat, but as in ultraviolet light.

Elasta QP Silk is the only product I have been able to find that says it is a heat protectant and does not have cones.

Ingredients:

Water, Polyquaternium-11, PVP, Steartrimonium Hydrolyzed Collagen Protein, Hydroxyethyl Cellulose, Polysorbate-20, Citric Acid, DMDM Hydantoin, Imidazolindinyl Urea, Fragrance

Here is more info about heat damage and preventing it (If you like using heat than I wouldn't read them cause their pretty scary:nono: ):

http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/04/29/how-to-protect-your-hair-from-heat-damage/

http://www.beautysecretsblog.net/2008/07/28/3-ways-to-protect-your-hair-from-heat/

Thanks, this sounds good! And lol @ ur warning about the articles haha

What makes a good heat protectant is low thermal conductivity. Basically it absorbs the heat or slows the heat from getting to the cortex of the hair. I haven't read anything that says that an oil can do this. It doesn't have anything to do with boiling temperature - even if something doesn't boil it still gets hot and can still cook.

This product has lots of cones. And the horrible layout of the site is enough to make me not buy these products :ohwell:

Check out this quote from an article on glycerin at NC

"Many heat-styling techniques can generate sufficient heat to boil the water inside the hair shaft, which can cause terrible breakage. One way to prevent or minimize this problem is to coat the hair with an emollient that seals in the moisture and that does not transfer the heat from the appliance to the hair as readily. Unfortunately, glycerin conducts thermal energy pretty efficiently (it transfers heat readily to the hair), especially when compared to silicones, proteins, and polyquaternium conditioning ingredients. For that reason, use glycerin sparingly and in combination with a more insulating and protective moisturizer when using any sort of heated drying or styling treatments."

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-the-goods-on-glycerin This is a great article

This article explains why I fried my hair when using shea butter before flat ironing. I used a heat protectant on top of it but I put a LOT of shea butter in before. My hair felt awesome but I examined the strands and had a bunch of new split ends and in some places my hair exploded midshaft!:nono:

I use matrix sleek look conditioner and it contains glycerin high up on the list. It has a cone too but I just don't understand why a conditioner made for people who want to straighten their hair has a bunch of glycerin in it:ohwell:

so what are the best protectants

Unfortunately I don't think it gets much better than good ole synthetic cones. Dimethicone and Amodimethicone to name a few...

Yeah, I think the same too about coconut oil. It's my staple oil but never thought to use it with heat. I don't think flat irons get hot enough to fry chicken in grease though so I don't think the coconut oil gets heated enough to fry the hair(could be wrong though). Some ladies have used it and got great results with no damaged hair. I'm just wanting to look more before I take the heat plunge. Looks like we're just screwed unless we use synthetic stuff. I guess for one application it shouldn't kill my hair, as long as I wash it out which defeats the purpose to me. If I straighten and go through all of that time doing it, I want it to last. I just don't want build up...

Yeah, I think the same too about coconut oil. It's my staple oil but never thought to use it with heat. I don't think flat irons get hot enough to fry chicken in grease though so I don't think the coconut oil gets heated enough to fry the hair(could be wrong though). Some ladies have used it and got great results with no damaged hair. I'm just wanting to look more before I take the heat plunge. Looks like we're just screwed unless we use synthetic stuff. I guess for one application it shouldn't kill my hair, as long as I wash it out which defeats the purpose to me. If I straighten and go through all of that time doing it, I want it to last. I just don't want build up...

Flat irons get HOT these days :lol: The lowest setting of my maxiglide is more than 300 degrees.

I know some people still have success with straightening with oils, though. If you want to go the all natural route, I think you could mix up a batch of leave in that has more aloe/protein than usual and use (or not use) oil and you'll be okay.

The cones are a pain in the butt for me most of the time because my hair doesn't like them much, but they do have their good qualities when it comes to heat.

They won't build up on you after one use and most of them are pretty easily removed with even weak sulfates.

Just because it is not hit enough to fry does not mean it is not hot enough to cook. Natural foodies often recommend that you don't cook anything above 140 degrees for health benefits.

Naturalgurl I know that you are not into commercial products but for the other ladies I think that there are some other options -- besides silicones at least. Here are some others:

http://www.blendedbeauty.com/product-straightening-glaze.html

http://www.blendedbeauty.com/product-straight-pearl.html

http://www.walgreens.com/store/prod...frgl_599850&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku1901093

http://www.curls.biz/curly-hair-products/Curl-Euphoria-Elixir-p-458.html

Ingredients:

Polyquaternium-11 is a polymer just like silicone (cones). It works the exact same way by creating a film like barrier on the hair.

Also i am pretty sure Steartrimonium Hydrolyzed Collagen Protein is classified as a cone. I know for a fact that Hydrolyzed wheat Protein is.

The blended beauty that you posted looks good though.

:evillaugh:Just come to the dark side! I've never been a fan of silicones, and still don't use them in anything other than my heat protectant MB. I actually like it, and don't have a problem washing it out. However there are other products in which I don't like it. I don't know if it's the quality, the amount of other drying agents with it, or whatever but I DON'T LIKEY! Everything else is natural. Funny, huh? All natural Aubrey Organics shampoo, Shescentit.com conditioner, and all natural internal (no cola's etc, lots of veggies), but then I turn around and use MB.

Please don't use oil alone as heat protectant. You will end up w/heat damage over time if you do this regularly. Unless you are using cones often you should be okay. Just make sure you clarify your hair so the cones don't build up.

Good question.

I might have to blowdry my hair in a couple of days. If I get good results with castor oil and coconut oil I'll check back and let you know.

:couchfire: BE CAREFUL STRAIGHTENING YOU HAIR WITH OIL REMEMBER ALL OILS HAVE TEMPERATURE IN WHICH THEY BURN SO REMEMBER TO CHECK THE BURN TEMP OF THE OIL AND KEEP YOU FLAT IRON LOWER THAN THAT TEMP

Back