Natural heads united at Sally's Beauty Supply

nychaelasymone

So yesterday I'm in target and run into this woman looking at the Shea Moisture line and the Miss Jessies line. She turned and randomly just asked me my opinion on them. We talked and I told her what I used and that I was heading over to Sally's to get some eco-styler. This woman has natural hair but she typically wears weaves and was looking to do something with her hair in-between weaves. Her hair was visibly damaged, edges were showing signs of stress...so I just asked her why doesn't she just wear her hair in a afro? She didn't know how to define her curls....so I told her how and to meet me in sallys (which was next door). So we get to sally's and low and behold...the heavens opened up and there had to be about 6 women in there with natural heads and we all schooled this woman on Henna, eco-styler gel, Miss Jessies vs. Shea Moisture vs. Kinky Curly vs. Mixed Chick....it was hilarious-an impromptu hair care convention- everyone in the store just stopped and we had a big circle of folks taking notes and asking questions about how to care for natural hair. It was amazing....towards the end of the conversation us natural heads started shooting off websites where we learned about how to care for our tresses. Thank you LHCF for all you've taught me. It was so nice to share what I've learned with others and to actually talk with others about the benefits of caring for our hair.......anyway...just wanted to share :yep:

BTW, I did my first flexi-rod set on natural hair and it rocks!!! I've gotten so many complements and it lasted all week survived 2 zumba workouts, and rain.....amazed.com...ha think I found my go-to hairstyle (PICS POSTED FURTHER DOWN IN THE THREAD)

Last edited:
I'll post pics shortly of my rod set.......ok, I took these in my office bathroom :lol: sorry, you really can't see the curl definition that well and it's almost 5 days old......
232323232%7Ffp73468%3Enu%3D49%3A4%3E6%3C3%3E253%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3B48%3B%3B9%3C6344nu0mrj
232323232%7Ffp733%3C6%3Enu%3D49%3A4%3E6%3C3%3E253%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3B48%3B844%3A344nu0mrj

Last edited:
That was such a nice story. If it's of any interest of you - did you know you can schedule with your local natural food store to host a hair care information seminar? They put it in their newsletter and everything! I went to one and I was amazed to find myself in a room full of about 30 natural heads! It was free, fun and encouraging...and I'm texlaxed!

how amazing I wish we had more of those here in Canada but we will catch up to you guys soon enough :).

That was a really adorable story, so cute. You guys did a good job and I'm sure any woman who walked into that convention walked away with some great and helpful tips.

OP, i was waiting for the moment when you would say you meet a few or 2 of Nikos's cousins. Great story, i enjoyed reading.

that lady got Hair care tips and products to use that were tried and proven!

That was such a nice story. If it's of any interest of you - did you know you can schedule with your local natural food store to host a hair care information seminar? They put it in their newsletter and everything! I went to one and I was amazed to find myself in a room full of about 30 natural heads! It was free, fun and encouraging...and I'm texlaxed!

wow! Thanks for this info!

BTW, I did my first flexi-rod set on natural hair and it rocks!!! I've gotten so many complements and it lasted all week survived 2 zumba workouts, and rain.....amazed.com...ha think I found my go-to hairstyle

Glad you had so much fun.

But your flexi-rod set info caught my eye. It survived 2 zumba workouts? Do tell?

When you post the pics when you also share your regi for the flexi-rod set (setting and maintaining)? tia

I am really interested in doing roller/flexi/curlformer sets for 2012.

OP, i was waiting for the moment when you would say you meet a few or 2 of Nikos's cousins. Great story, i enjoyed reading.

that lady got Hair care tips and products to use that were tried and proven!
well once we started shooting off haircare sites and no one mentioned lhcf, I was pretty sure I wasn't amongst Niko's cousins...but it was fun none-the-less

hair pics posted :-)

I followed this youtube video, used the same products, and my results were exactly like hers but the older it got the better it looked. Also at night I would gather all the hair on top of my head and secured the perimeter with hair pins, (it will resemble a puff ) put on my satin bonnet and go to bed...in the morning took the pins out, let the curls fall and rocked out!

flexi rod set on natural hair (I'm 4b texture)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpKN0BOy8w0&feature=channel_video_title

Last edited:
Glad you had so much fun.

But your flexi-rod set info caught my eye. It survived 2 zumba workouts? Do tell?

When you post the pics when you also share your regi for the flexi-rod set (setting and maintaining)? tia

I am really interested in doing roller/flexi/curlformer sets for 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpKN0BOy8w0&feature=channel_video_title

did exactly what she did and the results were the same....just that I separated my curls and just wore it however...added some hair accessories on some days but it survived, the older it got the better it looked...IMO

I loved that story, thanks for sharing with us and your hair is GAWJUS! :love: That's one of the prettiest, fluffiest rod sets I've ever seen :yep:

Back