natural heads... how do you trim your hair?

hareluvah

Apologies if this is a repeat post...

Do you straighten your hair before you trim?
Do you put your hair in mini-twists or braids then dust the ends
Do you not trim at all?

Back in the day, I used to pick out my fro and have my dad use his pick and clippers to take off about a 1/2 inch.

Just wondering what the most efficient, least abrasive way to trim natural hair is?

TIA!

Apologies if this is a repeat post...

Do you put your hair in mini-twists or braids then dust the ends

Instead of mini twists/braids I put my hair in large braids or twists and dust the very ends.
I've never straightened my hair just to trim it, it's not necessary for *me*.

I don't trim my own hair, I get it done at the salon. My hair is usually washed/dried/straight before trimming.

I wet my hair and then just section my hair off in 4 sections then take small section and rub my hair and if it feels rough it gets cut..

just got my first trim in june marking my 1yr anni i got a blow out then flat iron and had my mom trim

I use the Feye's Self Trimming method. I only flatiron twice a year or less. So, when I trim I do a braid out and blow dry on low enough to get it kinda straight. It works cause when I just flat ironed it was nice and U shaped liked I wanted.

I twist my hair and dust the ends every 3 months and then once a year I go to the salon to get it straightened and she trims it as needed.

I know its not the "typical" way to trim, but I usually do it while my hair is wet with a heavy conditioner.

I load my hair up with conditioner (a thick mask is better), section it off in about 6 sections with clips and take each section and divide it in about 1-2" sections and trim. The conditioner/mask helps keep my sections together and with detangling while trimming it. The ends are slicked so that i can do an even trim.

Am I the only one who doesn't trim her hair :perplexed....I wear my hair natural 100% of the time so I don't see the need to do it, especially if there isn't any split ends. I trimmed in the very beginning and thats it.

What benefit do you ladies see in trimming (the ones who don't wear their hair straight)

Am I the only one who doesn't trim her hair :perplexed....I wear my hair natural 100% of the time so I don't see the need to do it, especially if there isn't any split ends. I trimmed in the very beginning and thats it.

What benefit do you ladies see in trimming (the ones who don't wear their hair straight)

I never straighten my hair, but I did sustain mild damage from hair coloring which is something I did up until early last year. I never lightened my hair, but I did use demi and semi permanent color to dye my hair blue/black and it was just too harsh on my hair. Plus up until last year I didn't really care for my hair too well: questionable products, bad detangling practices, DAILY WnG, etc.

I'm still paying the price.

i flat-iron it as bone straight as i possibly can and then get a trim at a salon, usually supercuts or some chain salon like that.

CurlyNiquee
That is totally awesome if you don't have to trim your hair. I am hoping after this trim I'm doing now, well really it has turned into a cut, to cut off my damaged ends that I won't have to trim anymore either.

Trust me, if I didn't have damaged ends, I wouldn't trim either unless one side of my hair grew like insanely faster than the other or something like that.

What's your regimen?

@CurlyNiquee
That is totally awesome if you don't have to trim your hair. I am hoping after this trim I'm doing now, well really it has turned into a cut, to cut off my damaged ends that I won't have to trim anymore either.

Trust me, if I didn't have damaged ends, I wouldn't trim either unless one side of my hair grew like insanely faster than the other or something like that.

What's your regimen?

hareluvah

My regi is wash and condition every 7-10 days (I use Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Poo, and Trader Joes Condish)

Deep condition every 2-3 weeks (My own concoction lol [usually coconut oil, Aloe Vera, Jojoba oil mix])

Wear hair in protective styling 80% of the time.

Back