Natural Hair Will Not Grow!! HELP!

PenelopeMishel

Ladies, I need you.

I started growing out my relaxer about 2 years ago because my hair was shedding from it. (I lost about 4 inches of hair from the relaxer).

So now my hair is about shoulder length when straight, completely natural, pretty thick with tight curls and I can not get it to grow any longer than it is. (My hair grows from the scalp, it just won't retain the length). In addition to that, the ends keep breaking so now the hair is at various lengths all throughout my head. I am tempted to put chemicals in it again in order to settle my curls down and take out the frizz so that its easier to comb but I don't know anything about what works and what doesn't. Are texturizers damaging? What kind of effect they have on the hair? I just recently learned about the Brazilian Keratin Treatment but would greatly appreciate if someone could explain how this has worked for them.

I just don't know what I am doing wrong!! I see so many black women with waist-length hair and I don't know what to do to get mine there.

Any hair care/product suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! :perplexed
...I'll post a picture when I get home from work tonight. THANKS my sistas.

WELCOME!!!!

As you look around the forums you'll see some bits of advice that are tried and true.

For retention: protect your ends and keep your hair moisturized.

I'd suggest:
Deep condition your hair weekly
Wear buns to keep your ends "safe" from the elements/rubbing your shoulder etc.

How do you comb your hair?
What products do you use?
What styles do you wear your hair in? Keep it off the shoulders, in protective styles like twists, buns
Do you sleep with a satin scarf or bonnet?
Do you moisturize your hair? Do you deep condition?

If you can't keep your hair from breaking off without a relaxer or a texturizer, I would advise not going to get one until you learn how to retain length.

Welcome!

It definitely sounds like you have a problem with retention. It would be really helpful if you told us your current regimen.

Here's some threads that may help in the meantime:

Hair Breakage 101
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=84746
The basics of why hair may be breaking and other hair characteristics that you need to know in order to accurately assess your problem.

Naturals: Worst mistakes you ever made as a natural?
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=223081
It may help you identify some of the mistakes you're making.

Naturals that straighten.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=298845
If you straighten this is one of the best threads out there for you.

Hair Regimen Building for Newbies
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/288340/hair_regimen_building_for_newbies.html
This article is by a member Sistaslick (she also wrote the breakage 101 thread). It really is a great place to start when you need to build a regimen. She also has other amazing articles, the links are in her siggy.

Hope this helps!

Im just guessing you hair is dry.
Do you use dye..any kind of chemicals?
Do you deep condition?
Do you co-wash?
Do you moisturize?

If you can't keep your hair from breaking off without a relaxer or a texturizer, I would advise not going to get one until you learn how to retain length.
-stands up and applauds-

welcome, first off :drunk:

post your regimen for us.

Last edited:
I wash once every two weeks with Bio Infusion -the Olive Oil line. (I started using that because they don't use alcohol in their shampoos). Then deep condition with Bio Infusion and sit under a heat cap for about an hour. Wash out, put in leave-in conditioner and whatever kind of hair moisturizer I happen to be using at the moment. Blow drying is a significant PAIN in the a** for me. Takes about an hour and a half to two hours. Then I flat iron which takes another hour and rarely gets very straight. At night I will either wrap it and put a scarf on it or put it in a bun and wear a bonnet. I feel like whenever I comb my hair (which I do in the shower with conditioner) I am breaking off my hair. That's why I wanted to start using something that could make it easier to comb through.

I wash once every two weeks with Bio Infusion -the Olive Oil line. (I started using that because they don't use alcohol in their shampoos). Then deep condition with Bio Infusion and sit under a heat cap for about an hour. Wash out, put in leave-in conditioner and whatever kind of hair moisturizer I happen to be using at the moment. Blow drying is a significant PAIN in the a** for me. Takes about an hour and a half to two hours. Then I flat iron which takes another hour and rarely gets very straight. At night I will either wrap it and put a scarf on it or put it in a bun and wear a bonnet. I feel like whenever I comb my hair (which I do in the shower with conditioner) I am breaking off my hair. That's why I wanted to start using something that could make it easier to comb through.

I think you should definitely read the naturals that straighten thread along with the others.

Do you use a heat protectant? How hot is your blow dryer/flat iron? Do you have high quality tools?

Heat, even with a protectant and high quality tools, can be extremely damaging. You may need to put down the heat for a while in order to get your hair healthy.

Also, those who use heat usually find that they need to DC & moisturize at least once a week.

My hair is definitely dried out. Can you suggest products that I can use to keep it moisturized but not heavy and greasy?? =)

Personally, I don't think you should go out and buy new products yet. I think you should use what you have (depending on the ingredients) but use different techniques. You can start by DCing once or twice a week, instead of every 2 weeks.

If you do go out and buy new products these articles may help:

Selecting a moisturizing shampoo:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/313061/how_to_select_a_moisturizing_shampoo.html

Selecting a moisturizing conditioner:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/313072/how_to_select_a_moisturizing_conditioner.html

There are no chemicals in my hair at all. No dye. I deep condition every other week. I don't know what co-wash means! lol.

Co-wash is short for Condition Wash. It means to wash your hair using conditioner instead of shampoo. A lot of people do it in order to keep the moisture level up in their hair. Some people do it as much as everyday. It also helps to combine co-washing with other techniques like protective styling (example: buns) in order to get your hair healthy.

I had a huge retention problem until I gave up the heat tools like the blow dryer and flat iron. Have you ever worn your hair in its natural state? If possible, I would do that and give your hair a break from the heat styling.

if you are determined to wear your hair straight, i would strongly suggest roller setting instead of blow drying and flat ironing. if you really want to flat iron, i would air dry or sit under a hooded dryer in order to dry instead. your regimen is not moisture-laden enough to withstand all that heat you are using.

what is your leave-in? what are the moisturizers you are using? what kind of comb are you using? do you use a brush? how often do you comb/brush after your hair is straightened? are you using the flat iron to "touch up" at any point between washes? i think i am seeing where the problem(s) is/are, but we need more info!

Get a major cut to get off all of the dead ends. Take it from a member who as been here since ohh 2003-04 and my hair is STILL at SL...actually shorter now because last night, I got some damn sense and cut that mess off. I've still got more to cut off. I'm going to Supercuts so they can do the rest. Then I will be getting a weave installed and I will be leaving it alone for the next 2 years. Its all about retention.

When you get a color job and a year later all of the color has dissappeared and you have 5-6 inches of black newgrowth but your hair is still at SL....it's time to get a major cut.

When members who have joined after you with shorter hair and two years later end up with BSL and longer hair and you are still stuck at SL...it's time to get a major cut.

When you comb your newly fresh pressed hair and minutes later, the ends are so puffed and ruffed that a comb can't get through it....it's time to get a major cut.

Cut it ALL off, the ends, then baby the HELL out of them.

You have to step up your moisture. Moisture is water. If you want to flat iron put down the blow dryer. Teach yourself to roller set. Deep condition at least once a week. Start with the links posted in this thread and read read read.

To be quite honest with you, if you are determined to wear it straight then I would get a relaxer or a texturizer. Just because it is natural doesn't mean it can take all of that heat damage you are doing.

Back away from the blow dryer and flat iron. Trust me it is not good for you. Get the major cut.....and if you are not opposed to it, get some kinky twists or braids or a sew in and leave it alone for a couple of months. As long as you take care of your hair while in braids/weaves and don't damage it with heat styling tools, you will be fine.

I feel like whenever I comb my hair (which I do in the shower with conditioner) I am breaking off my hair. That's why I wanted to start using something that could make it easier to comb through.

Consider using a conditioner that is just for detangling. Some popular ones are VO5, Suave, or Herbal Essences Hello Hydration. Then get a Jilbere Shower Comb or a Denman brush (check out Sally's) or just use a wide tooth comb.

Try detangling your hair in sections. Some ladies even do the whole wash process in sections. You can try using big twists or braids and deal with each part one at a time. When detangling you want to soak the hair with a nice slippery conditioner and clear from the bottom up to prevent pulling a big tangle down to your ends which are the oldest, most delicate part of your hair and the most likely to break off.

Besides alcohol you will probably find it beneficial to avoid shampoos that have sulfates in them. They are very drying to curly hair. Many of us here, including myself, have dropped shampoo all together. We wash with conditioner and call it cowashing. It really helps prevent dryness and relieves a lot of the hair problems that come from being dry.

I suggest trying cowashing and washing once or even twice a week to get your moisture level up. It is also a good idea to dc every time you wash. Mixing honey and/oil (olive oil, coconut oil, etc.) with conditioner is a great way to make them really moisturizing for your dc, detangling, or cowashing. Try wearing your hair in only buns for a few weeks so that you aren't manipulating it too much and it can have a little rest. You don't need to use any heat to do a bun. You might want to also try using a banana clip. I love them and couldn't live without them.

Last edited:
I have been completely natural for years. How long is my hair? I am full shoulder with about 3 inches to armpit. I am just now realizing why I was not retaining my growth:

1. Deep conditioning with only a heat cap was not enough with me. I had to saturate my hair with conditioner and put the dryer on it's highest or next to highest setting to get good penetration.

2. I was not trimming enough (every 3 months is my magic number for this). With a pretty good trim, natural hair can comb through just like butter (or close). When those ends are split, due to the curly pattern, they hook into each other and combing and/or brushing will cause them to snap right off.

3. The blowdryer is my sworn enemy:lachen:. Every time I turned to that sucker I ended up regretting it

4. Flat irons were not necessarily my enemy, but the poor quality ones were: they would snag my hair and damage it terribly because the plates were not smooth enough and the materials they were made from were not of good quality.

5. Detangling with any kind of wet product, or even water alone, does not work for me. I have to use a good, natural oil, like almond or grapeseed etc. and put that on my wet hair. Then it combs well.

This is what I found works for me. If it helps you, or any other natural, then great. I found this out through serious trial and error, and periods where it seemed like I had had a growth spurt, but my hair was not getting any longer.

OP, I hope you can find what you need to get your hair on track, HHG.

I have been completely natural for years. How long is my hair? I am full shoulder with about 3 inches to armpit. I am just now realizing why I was not retaining my growth:

1. Deep conditioning with only a heat cap was not enough with me. I had to saturate my hair with conditioner and put the dryer on it's highest or next to highest setting to get good penetration.

2. I was not trimming enough (every 3 months is my magic number for this). With a pretty good trim, natural hair can comb through just like butter (or close). When those ends are split, due to the curly pattern, they hook into each other and combing and/or brushing will cause them to snap right off.

3. The blowdryer is my sworn enemy:lachen:. Every time I turned to that sucker I ended up regretting it

4. Flat irons were not necessarily my enemy, but the poor quality ones were: they would snag my hair and damage it terribly because the plates were not smooth enough and the materials they were made from were not of good quality.

5. Detangling with any kind of wet product, or even water alone, does not work for me. I have to use a good, natural oil, like almond or grapeseed etc. and put that on my wet hair. Then it combs well.

This is what I found works for me. If it helps you, or any other natural, then great. I found this out through serious trial and error, and periods where it seemed like I had had a growth spurt, but my hair was not getting any longer.

OP, I hope you can find what you need to get your hair on track, HHG.

You know what, I checked out pinkskates fotki and tried her blow drying method. WONDERFUL!! You should definitely check it out if you haven't already. She uses a tension method and doesn't use a comb or brush at all + minimal heat. I think its definitely possible to blow dry w/o damaging your hair.

Back