Natural Hair Sistahs..

Zoe

What kind of products do you use in your hair.. as far as shampoo,conditioner any kind of leave ins..

Did your beauty regime changed since you did the big Chop

Right now I have a weave but I should be taking it out and cutting all of my permed hair out (FINALLY) and just wanted some ideas or recommended products..

I know everyone's hair is different..but Im trying to get an idea cause a chick is clueless now..

Hey I am excited for you, and your upcoming haircut. I haven't done the same thing since I big chopped (Jan 2003), but that is because I was trying products to see what I liked. Just recently I have been on the July PJ challenge, and have played with the many products I have. I have found most of my staples, and fine tuned my regimen.

1 day per week:
hot oil (30 min - hour)proclaim natural 7 oil, hot 6 oil
shampoo (lather once)sebastian laminates or stark naked
mild protein conditioner (30 min)ORS hair mayo
deep mosturizing conditioner (30 min - hour)kenra moisturizing
leave-in conditioner(creamy)nexxus humectress or kenra
light oil - ORS olive oil, proclaim oil, hot six, nature's blessing

6 days per week
conditioner wash (15 minutes in shower)sebastian laminates, Jason Sea Kelp
leave-in - same as above
light oil - same as above

With Cornrows/braids
rinse with water daily
shampoo (1 day/week) diluted shampoo
worlds of curls activator everyday

Detangle
Let Kenra sit for 30 minutes with heat
Use shower comb to separate sections
Use brush in small sections

I have so many products that I need to use, but in the long range, I will probably look for another protein conditioner because the ORS isn't what it used to be. I will probably try Aubrey GPB. I may try Apricot kernal oil later. Also I will try Jason's Sea kelp shampoo since I use and love the conditioner. Hope this helps.

Tracy

hi zoe
smile.gif

well this is what i'm using now. it varries but well yeah . . .
shampoo- creme of nature detangling formula (once a wk)
deep conditoning- aussie 3min miracle or le kair choilestrol(once a wk)
condioner wash-western family vitamin conditoner or suave aloe shampoo(about 5x's a wk)
scalp- sulfur 8 origanal formula(daily)
leave in- humetress conditoner or right on curl activator(daily)
braid spray- african pride (2x a day)
pressing stuff- ampro curl wax and ultra sheen pressing creme( once a week)
i'm going to experiment with ors carriot oil in the future. good luck being transtioning!!

Hi Zoe-

This is what I use:

Shampoo with Breakthru Moisturizing Shampoo
Deep Condition with Burt's Bees Avocado Butter (something like that)
Condition with Suave Humectant Conditioner
Alternate with Daily Doctor or Infusium 23 for damaged/unmanageable hair as leave-in conditioner

I usually wear my hair in braids so that I can retain more length as my hair grows out to the length I want. I try to wash my hair at least once a week and I rinse my scalp after every workout to keep the salt from building upl Hope this helps.

I have a very simple routine. I wash about 5 days a week with Creme of Nature Shampoo, condition with herbal esence conditioning balm, I then use herbal essences leave-in spray and cocoa butter lotion.

I experiment with different things but no matter what I usually go back to these basics.

Ladies I finally did it...

I cut all of my permed hair off and I now have about 4 inches... I didn't measure it but my hair is longer than my longest finger

Right now I have 2 strand twists with extensions and I probably wont officially grace the world with my new do until May... Hopefully my hair will be longer that I'll be able to put it in a bun and work with more styles..

I never did a "big chop"--I'm too chicken! But my natural hair is nape length now when pressed. I have approx 1" of relaxed hair on the ends. I left just enough to be able make a teeny tiny bun that I cover with a fake afro puff.

I co wash every day or two. Usually with Pantene S&S conditioner. Sometimes I use St Ives Vanilla & Edelweiss or one of the V05's.

I apply my own tweaked version of MotownGrl's Leave-In Conditioner. Then I apply a mixture of Proclaim Curl Activator Gel and S-Curl Spray; a little Smooth n Shine Gellation (the pink one) and something to smooth down any flyaway edges. Usually Elasta QP Glaze or Mango Butter.

I shampoo and deep condition once a week. Usually with L'anza Protein Plus shampoo, Sally's Generic Joico K-Pak followed by Tropical Avocado or LeKair Cholesterol (the peach colored one).

Once or twice a month I do a henna or homemade herbal Tame treatment. This has made my hair 100x more managable! It slightly loosens the kinks for a couple of weeks. Sometimes I'll make a paste out of a few TBS of Lotus Powder Plus and hot water and mix it with a creamy protein conditioner. (It works almost the same and it smells a lot better).

Currently my hair is below my shoulders pressed but not brastrap and appears thick but I actually have thin individual strands. My natural texture is nappy waves and crinkles that can be picked into a massive fro.
cool.gif

I never did the big chop either. Too skuurred.
crazy.gif

I normally do conditioner washes with Suave Naturals Coconut. I've been using this stuff for almost a year. It's cheap and smells nice and it does actually moisturize my hair a little. Sometimes I'll use regular shampoo but I dilute it. Other times I spray a mix of baking soda and water on my scalp to clean it.

My favorite moisturizing conditioners right now are Kenra Moisturizing, Elucence Moisture Balance, Pantene Hydrating Curls (or its twin - Pantene Smooth and Sleek) and...drumroll....LUST! I am a LUST convert! I used my sample size yesterday and was shocked. It performed as expected.
notworthy.gif

With all my moisturizing conditioners, I like to mix in some Elysian Isle avocado oil. This is the best oil I've ever used! Thanks Jade21!
trampoline.gif
It absorbs well, softens my hair and gives a gorgeous, silky press.

For protein treatments, I only have one fave and that's Aubrey Organics Glycogen Protein Balancer (GPB).

Hoped I've helped you some, Zoe!

[ QUOTE ]
With all my moisturizing conditioners, I like to mix in some Elysian Isle avocado oil. This is the best oil I've ever used! Thanks Jade21! It absorbs well, softens my hair and gives a gorgeous, silky press.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mix this into my moisturizing conditioners, too. I love this stuff! I'll have to try it for a press one day.
scratchchin.gif

Let us know how the avocado oil press works for you, sassygirl!

The Elysian Isle website is sold out of the discounted bottles so I found this other site that also sells the Elysian brand. Beyond Gourmet doesn't have any $7 bottles like Elysian did but their regular price ($13.98) is cheaper than Elysian's regular price and BG does not charge for shipping.

www.BeyondGourmet.com

I wanted to add that I ordered a bottle Friday. That was my first time ordering from Beyond Gourmet. I'll let you know when it arrives.

Hey, I am sorry I am a day late for the big announcement. I am so happy for you. You will have a lot of fun learning about your hair. Keep us updated.

Tracy

Back