Natural hair regime without oils and butters

tolly

Hello ladies,
I have been on this site for years but have not paid attention to the hair forum for a long time.
I need your expertise and recommendations about the methods that advocates skipping oils and butters.
For these regimens, are gels necessary? I tried shampoo and conditioners alone and my hair ended up looking very dull and with absolutely no defination.
Thank you

I am doing the no oils/butters regimen. First off, with this regimen you also need to have multiple shampoos in rotation because it is the most important step. Your primary shampoo is an ultra-moisturizing shampoo. Will explain more if you want to know.

After your shampoo and conditioner, you use a styler based on whatever style you want to wear. If you are wearing a curly set/wng then you would use 1+ gels/mousse or other product for a curly set. If you are wearing twist or twist out you would use a leave-in and then some type of cream styler meant for twist and twist outs. If you are bunning then probably a leave-in and mousse or just mousse, depending on your hair.

You always have a styler after your conditioner. And if you are going from using oils and butters to not, there is a detox or adjustment period.

For myself, it has been wonderful because I simplified my regimen and my products.

@faithVA
Thank you for your response. I appreciate the details in your post.
Please tell me more about the shampoo. You picked an important point because I have only one shampoo albeit a moisturizing shampoo.
I will try using a mousse with my leave in. The adjustment period/hair behaving weird has me second guessing my choice. It is really dry and an afro: no clumping which I was hoping to get.

@faithVA
Please tell me more about the shampoo. You picked an important point because I have only one shampoo albeit a moisturizing shampoo.
I will try using a mousse with my leave in. The adjustment period/hair behaving weird has me second guessing my choice. It is really dry and an afro: no clumping which I was hoping to get.

It varies person to person (or stylist to stylist) but the thought is having a clarifying shampoo, an all purpose and a moisturizing shampoo.

Using examples from my own stash:
Clarifying: Elucence, Adwoa Blue Tansy
All purpose: AG Natural Balance
Moisturizing: Giovanni Smooth as Silk, Adwoa Beauty Baomint.

Some will use an all purpose followed by a moisturizing shampoo. I personally just use one per wash day. The Adwoa blue tansy is gentle enough clarifying shampoo that doesn't need a moisturizing one after (exception being if I don't use that shampoo, then I will follow up with another shampoo).

I like alternating using my all purpose and my moisturizing. If I used a stickier gel or a custard I'll lean towards my all purpose. If I went a few more days than intended to wash my hair I'll lean towards my more moisturizing shampoo.

@faithVA
If you haven't been using any stylers after the conditioner then yes your hair will be dry. You may or may not see clumping with just conditioner and leave-in. My hair only clumps with gel even after doing this process for 2 years. Hair is different.

Every 2 to 3 months, I use Elucence's clarifying shampoo followed by a moisturizing shampoo. If you haven't clarified you want to do this before continuing the process.

If I use heavy products, I will use an almost clarifying shampoo - TGIN. Then I follow with a moisturizing shampoo.
I use an all purpose shampoo if I don't shampoo every week or if I feel my hair is extra dirty - Jessicurl and follow with a moisturizing shampoo.

Most washes I use salon quality moisturizing shampoo for colored hair - Madison Reed.

I condition with Madison Reed after every wash. I typically use gel even when I put my hair in twist. It just holds moisture in my hair better.

Back