Natural Hair Meetup Ideas: What Would You Want From A Meetup?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Someone has started a meetup in my city for naturals.

Tonight is the inaugural meeting.

Tonight, besides meeting everyone, participants will brainstorm ideas of activities the meetup should do.

What would you want to do in such a meetup? What activities, events, etc. would you like?

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

That sounds like so much fun. I wish someone would do that in my area.

I was so elated!

I'm trying to brainstorm.

I'm thinking:
  • hygienic product sharing: Bring an unused product and several empty containers so product trialing can be more cost effective
  • style practice: Lead by someone in the group who is great at the style and can float and help and give feedback. Perhaps tools and tutorial videos collected . . .
  • demos
  • tool swaps/trials (e.g., I try out your steamer before I buy it for myself while you try out my HairFlair)
  • joint trips to black-owned BSS's followed by dinner and/or a presentation by a hair expert
  • joint salon trips
I'm just thinking aloud.

Well, first meeting had.

Only 3 of us showed. It was an hour drive for me. We will meet more centrally in the future, which is cool.

One lady had a setback from coloring. Had to cut inches. Hair seems Type 4 now when before it was Type 3. Interesting!

The other lady recently cut from mid-back length to TWA. She swears by finger detangling only and wash-and-go's, though she can do a mean roller set.

Both had skin to live for!!!!!!! They had SUPER simple skin regimens featuring shea butter. Said me using tinted moisturizer was doing waaaaaaaaay too much. :smile:

Neither had heard much about protein-moisture balance or lowpo hair. One swore by an oil mix of CRN's growth oil + pumpkin seed oil + tamanu oil. The other swears by a smidgen of hyssop oil for hair growth (too much burns, she said).

I enjoyed the meet up. It was great talking hair with other passionate people. :smile:

Back