Natural Hair Ladies-Need advice for my 8 year olds hair

kitten73

Last night, I took out my daughters braids and washed and deep conditioned her hair with Nexxus Emergnecee, and Alter Ego Garlic hot oil treatment. I didn't want to blow dry (ladies on the board have told me to stop with her hair) so I applied Salerm 21, mango butter and some Wonder 8 oil and pulled it in a pony-puff and let her go to bed. In the AM, it was dry so I just applied some more Mango Butter and some Wonder 8 oil for her to go to school. The puff was dry so I sprayed it with a little S Curl. I said all this to ask, would it be okay to use the Maxi GLide on her hair tonight without washing the products out? I am thinking when I pick her up tonight her hair will have soaked up all the stuff I put in it anyway. I really don't want to wash it again after doing all those treatments.

Well, the Emergencee probably dried her hair out--it's a rich protein treatment, and unless the hair is colored, natural hair doesn't often need high protein treatments. I would not use it as a deep treatment on my own hair, because my hair needs more moisture than protein.

I don't know the ingredients in the Salerm, but the other stuff (oils and serums) helps seal in moisture--it doesn't create it.

I would honestly condition wash her hair with a thick moisturizing conditioner and then add the butters or oils on top of wet, well moisturized hair. I would air dry her hair in plaits over night, then the next day add a heat protectant (I think Nurse98 has a good Maxiglide routine) and then flatiron. Wearing an out puff can also dry out the hair, so my concern is that between the protein treatment and wearing a puff in the elements all day (including being on the playground) that her hair might be too dry to Maxiglide.

I don't do lot of heat treatments though, so people who've been natural longer than I may have better suggestions.

Nursen98 says:
I got a system too. I wash & condition w/Redkin smoothdown line (got all those lovely cones in them). Then I use got2b creme straightener plus a little conditioner as a leave in, detangle, braid and airdry. The next day I use Redken heatglide and a little shea butter and use my Maxiglide section by section(I start at the nape too). I've done this a couple of times and so far it works well for me.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=76913&highlight=redken

I keep getting confused on whether to use the Emergencee or not. Her hair had major damge a few months back from being on the swim team so I am trying to still nurse it back to health. The breakage is crazy! I thought the Emergencee every few weeks would be the best to get her hair healty again. I also have Keraphix for her so I alrternate between the two. Amazingly, her hair was still nice and shiny and soft when I picked her up so I put some mango butter all over and as I sectioned to maxiglide, I sprayed some IC Fantasia Heat Protectant and used the glide on 3. Her hair came out well. It is suppose to rain here in NY today so god knows what it will look like when I pick her up today. I plan on putting rollers in tonight. No more heat for the rest of the month. She has a party tomorrow so she wanted it straight. Sunday I am braiding it up again. Thanks so much for the advice. I am going to lay off the Emergencee and maybe just use the Keraphix from time to time and the Alter Ego Garlic, her hair loves that stuff.

I know she is young but can you do more conditioner washes on her hair. Can you also spray it with some water/conditioner mixture in the mornings? My hair looks crazy when I wake up but I wake my hair up with water or a CW. I use a conditioner like Patene rinse it out and add my mango butter, leave in conditioner and set my coils with S-curl or Fantasia IC sparkelites. I think you should use the IC sparkelites on her hair because it will help keep it in place.

Back