NATURAL HAIR IS EASY TO COMB...AS LONG AS

cocomama

After all this time I finally realized that my natural hair is easy to comb if it is properly moisturized. Anytime my hair was difficult to comb is my own fault. Once I learned how to bring my hair up to the correct moisture levels during the shampooing process my hair becomes like butter! I will never look back. I do a deep conditioner like PATCHOULI85's suggested,then shampoo with Black Soap then abracadabra easy breezy hair...

I also noticed that my twist outs come out more defined when I predeeppoo (aka deep condition before the shampoo on dry hair). After I shampooed I twisted without any product. So how do you get a well define twist out?

Attachments

• 100_9514new.jpg
    100_9514new.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 115
I agree, getting the correct moisture levels is the key to almost everything with our hair: combing, styling, curl definition, retention, straightening, etc.

It really is the key and what most people are trying to get to.

To answer your question though, my twist outs are defined whether my hair is moisturized or not. But because my hair is only NL, I have to do smaller twists than larger ones for it to have some hang and not just be a fro. But my hair easily defines with product or no product.

How does PATCHOULI85's suggest conditioning. I am not familiar with this.

So true. I haven't done enough experimenting with my twist/braid/ outs. But with the right products I can get the lasting definition that I'm looking for. Btw..beautiful hair Op and I adapted Patchouli's DC method over a year ago and now I no longer use a color brush( I think thats how she still does it) but my hair begins to curl -all over- as I apply my dc.

lamaria211 no,but i'm thinking about doing an apple cider vinegar rinse next time to make sure my cuticles are close. Then sealing it with an oil.

BlaqBella I don't always used the brush either to apply the predeeppoo,just my hands.

cocomama said:
lamaria211 no,but i'm thinking about doing an apple cider vinegar rinse next time to make sure my cuticles are close. Then sealing it with an oil.

BlaqBella I don't always used the brush either to apply the predeeppoo,just my hands.

You only use black soap for poo?

Yes, I had no idea that combing natural hair could be this easy. You just have to know when and when not to do it. For me, I prefer to comb when it's wet or when it's damp with conditioner.

As for twistouts/braidouts, my best sets are done on wet hair after I've cowashed/or shampooed and conditioned. I use Qhemet products and sometimes I add some ORS loc and twist gel over the Qhemet.

Last edited:
lamaria211 Yes ma'am! I have only been using the Alaffia authentic african black soap. They sell it at Wholefoods for like $9.99 for 32 oz. I'm not sure about other black soap shampoos but I love this one!:grin:

Ingredients
African mint (ocimum canum) extract (aqueous), African black soap (saponified shea butter* [butyrospermum parkii] and palm kernel oil [elaeis guineensis]), lauryl glucoside, tangerine essential oil, orange essential oil, lemongrass essential oil, litsea essential oil.*Certified Fair for Life - Social and Fair Trade by IMO.

kandake How do you like Qhemet product line? What are your favorites?

cocomama,

I've only used the Amla and Olive Heavy Cream and the Aethiopika Hydrate & Twist Butter. I love both of them. If I'm twisting or braiding my hair, I have to use one or the other. They are my staples haven't failed me. Very moisturizing too.

A LOT of people don't realize this!! Seriously I thought it was common knowledge but it's not. I have a 'mommy' at work that's natural and we always chat about hair, and I recommended the crece pelo to her. She said it really helps her to detangle...

But in chatting I found out that she was washing, conditioning, rinsing and THEN combing!! I had to tell her no no no!! Comb WITH your conditioner in!!

I'd been doing that since washing my own hair, because I read in the magazines to comb with your conditioner in. And that was way before going natural.

I recently did my bff's hair, and took out her braids. She warned me that her hair gets matted up and whatnot but I got through her hair easily, because I let the conditioner soak in and detangled in sections.

And thats why curly girl works for me ... my hair is constantly moisturized.
I had avoided CG because I thought it was only to define curls and that I would constantly have to be in a WnG.

but after reading up and watching YT I realized that its just a method of imparting and retaining moisture.

Im 2 weeks CG now and loving my twist outs which are now super soft yet defined> thats achieved by cowashing then either leaving in some of the conditioner or washing out some of the conditioner and adding a LI.... then i use a light hold twisting cream or gel like any of darcys twisters or HV whipped gelly

cocomama sorry for so many questions:)
How often do you wash weekly or biweekly?
Do you cowash?
Do you ever use regular poo?
What kind of products do you use during the week to moisturize, style ect... tia

And thats why curly girl works for me ... my hair is constantly moisturized.
I had avoided CG because I thought it was only to define curls and that I would constantly have to be in a WnG.

but after reading up and watching YT I realized that its just a method of imparting and retaining moisture.

Im 2 weeks CG now and loving my twist outs which are now super soft yet defined> thats achieved by cowashing then either leaving in some of the conditioner or washing out some of the conditioner and adding a LI.... then i use a light hold twisting cream or gel like any of darcys twisters or HV whipped gelly

Hey SimJam, are you able to get Darcys or HV products locally?

lamaria211 No Problem!
How often do you wash weekly or biweekly? weekly
Do you cow ash? no i preedeeppoo then wash with Alaffia authentic african black soap
Do you ever use regular poo? no just predeeppoo.

What kind of products do you use during the week to moisturize, style ect... tia

I must say that at the moment I don't used commercial products. I don't even use a conditioner like suggested in the youtube video just pure avocado butter. Over the last 8 years I have learn the hard way that most commercial products aren't worth my time. Unless I'm getting my hair flat iron,then of course you need a heat protectant.Even then I'm learning that grape seed oil mixed with pure hydrolyzed wheat protein is all you need...sorry so long lol

Hope this helps. I'm glad too answer any more questions...

Back