Natural Hair in the Dominican Republic: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised!!

cutiebe2

We have had many discussions on here about Dominican Salons/Natural Hair/ Pelo Malo and the list goes on.

Here is an example of how there is always possibility for growth and change. Carolina is a friend of mine who I met when I was living in the DR. She is Dominican but grew up here in the US. She moved back to the DR after leaving as a toddler. When I met her she was trying to go natural and I gave her tons of tips.

Life got busy and I lost contact but when I went on her page I discovered she has set up a blog about natural hair in the DR and is doing big things. She has been on Dominican TV discussing the topic and brings products like Kinky Curly to women over there.

I post this because ALL of the diaspora have had their struggles with self identity. We should support each other. I know for a fact that she gets her information from sites like this one, Curly Nikki etc. I think she has been interviewed by Curly Nikki. I'm so late on all of this :giggle: , but I'm getting my T-shirt:grin:

http://www.missrizos.com/

I know the site is in Spanish but just thought I would share. And she speaks English of course so leave some encouraging words if you like!

Thank you for posting. This is revolutionary. It hurts to see the little girls describe and draw the standard of beauty as someone who looks nothing like they do.

Thanks for the link. I'll have to take some time to read through her site. The book Pelo Bueno, Pelo Negro looks really interesting. I rarely see any Dominicans wearing their natural curl. Even the men bkt it until it resembles ramen noodles.

I love the DR! Beautiful people and very hospitable. But what I found out is that some of them have major identity issues. Check out his documentary " Black in Latin AMERICA"

Back