Natural Hair & Dry Ends

theEclectanista

PLEASE HELP!

I am transitioning to natural and still have a few inches of lingering relaxed end and they are driving me nuts.

Not matter how much I balance protein, moisture, ceramides, or how consistent I am with deep conditioning they are so DRY and just look terrible :perplexed:ohwell::sad:

I started baggying again last night (water, loreal bio ceramide night cream, sealed with argan oil) and they seemed super dry once I took the baggy off and combed my ends through.

Maybe I just need a trim, the ends are super split?

But how can I avoid this in the future.
My hair grows at a good rate but I can't keep my length if my ends keep splitting & drying.. it's so frustrating!!

if you have a lot of split ends, it will definitely cause dryness. once you are able to get a good trim, just focus on keeping your hair moisturized and seal with an oil, like castor.

have you considered doing a BC soon?

If they are extra dry, consider adjusting the porosity. I found that when I used Porosity Control regularly, my ends stop staying crispy due to being overly porous.

Additionallly, my stylist advised that apply my moisturizing (and oil) products to my ends FIRST then to the roots. I put this to practice by applying castor oil to my ends at night then twisting my hair. When applying my moisturizer plus oils, I start at the roots and work towards my roots with the application.

Finally, a trim will definitely help get rid of the super dry ends.

if you have a lot of split ends, it will definitely cause dryness. once you are able to get a good trim, just focus on keeping your hair moisturized and seal with an oil, like castor.

have you considered doing a BC soon?

do you know if Jamaican Black Castor oil would be a good sealant? It seems so THICK... maybe I'll go grab some regular castor oil. I seal with argan oil now
I only use this to mix with mega tek and put on my scalp in the slow growing areas.

I wanted to wait until the end of the summer to do a BC because I planned on rockin sewins for the duration of the summer

If they are extra dry, consider adjusting the porosity. I found that when I used Porosity Control regularly, my ends stop staying crispy due to being overly porous.

Additionallly, my stylist advised that apply my moisturizing (and oil) products to my ends FIRST then to the roots. I put this to practice by applying castor oil to my ends at night then twisting my hair. When applying my moisturizer plus oils, I start at the roots and work towards my roots with the application.

Finally, a trim will definitely help get rid of the super dry ends.

i love porosity control! but i only used it whenever my hair was being chemically treated.

How do you use it?

"Additionallly, my stylist advised that apply my moisturizing (and oil) products to my ends FIRST then to the roots."--- it's funny you said this because this white chick with dreads that works at Sally's told me to do this, and I have been ever since.

Like Poohbear said, maybe it's time for those relaxed ends to vamoose, they be holdin' ya back perhaps? :lachen:

Not sure about relaxed hair but water or some kind of waterbased product followed by olive oil (coconut oil does zip for my hair) or go hardcore with a petroleum based product (if grease doesn't gross you out :)) might help.

Honestly may be time for a good 1-2" trim or just go ahead and BC.

HHG

Like Poohbear said, maybe it's time for those relaxed ends to vamoose, they be holdin' ya back perhaps? :lachen:

Not sure about relaxed hair but water or some kind of waterbased product followed by olive oil (coconut oil does zip for my hair) or go hardcore with a petroleum based product (if grease doesn't gross you out :)) might help.

Honestly may be time for a good 1-2" trim or just go ahead and BC.

HHG

:cry2:

lol.. I feel like if I got to the shop and get it trimmed i'm gonna come home bald

I'm battling as well between the weather and indoor heat. The only thing that combats it for me at the mo is spraying my mid length to ends with Taliah Waajid's Protective Mist and sealing with Hairveda's Cocasta Oil. Plus, keeping ends of hair out of sight.

I'm battling as well between the weather and indoor heat. The only thing that combats it for me at the mo is spraying my mid length to ends with Taliah Waajid's Protective Mist and sealing with Hairveda's Cocasta Oil. Plus, keeping ends of hair out of sight.

I've never heard of either of those products but I will def look into them.

I definitely think a big part of the problem is that I live in MINNESOTA aka THE FROZEN TUNDRA of the MIDWEST I'm so miserable lol.

I don't want this to happen every year
hair gets long and healthy and then BAM I have to cut off all of my progress, it sucks!

do you know if Jamaican Black Castor oil would be a good sealant? It seems so THICK... maybe I'll go grab some regular castor oil. I seal with argan oil now
I only use this to mix with mega tek and put on my scalp in the slow growing areas.

I wanted to wait until the end of the summer to do a BC because I planned on rockin sewins for the duration of the summer

i haven't tried JBCO, just the stuff from Walmart or Health food store. i say let go of those ends now. you don't want to do a sew-in with damaged ends, it can cause serious setback.

I've never heard of either of those products but I will def look into them.

I definitely think a big part of the problem is that I live in MINNESOTA aka THE FROZEN TUNDRA of the MIDWEST I'm so miserable lol.

I don't want this to happen every year
hair gets long and healthy and then BAM I have to cut off all of my progress, it sucks!

WISCONSIN is the frozen tundra....tis all!! :giggle:

ETA: I agree that it maybe time to let the relaxed ends go. How much natural hair do you have?

i love porosity control! but i only used it whenever my hair was being chemically treated.

How do you use it?

"Additionallly, my stylist advised that apply my moisturizing (and oil) products to my ends FIRST then to the roots."--- it's funny you said this because this white chick with dreads that works at Sally's told me to do this, and I have been ever since.

LOL my stylist is white, but it turned out to be great advice.

I use my porosity control as my second set in a four step process. first, Poo. Second, PC for 2-3 minutes. Third, Protein conditioner with heat for 10 minutes. Last, Moisture conditioner for 30 minutes to an hour. My ends had felt crispy before I started doing this BUT I haven't had any problems since.

ALSO, a huge tip, JBCO works magically on my hair (its fine). BUT be sure to lightly dampen your hands before applying to your ends OR dampen your hair slightly (I use a misting bottle). Lots of people say JBCO is too heavy, but its a water soluable oil so applying with a bit of water helps the application. You don't have to be heavy handed with the product to see results either.

WISCONSIN is the frozen tundra....tis all!! :giggle:

ETA: I agree that it maybe time to let the relaxed ends go. How much natural hair do you have?

the majority of my shaft is natural
I'd say about 3 inches of my hair is relaxed ends.
My hair is shoulder length when straigthened/stretched.. it WAS APL.. now i'm starting all over

LOL my stylist is white, but it turned out to be great advice.

I use my porosity control as my second set in a four step process. first, Poo. Second, PC for 2-3 minutes. Third, Protein conditioner with heat for 10 minutes. Last, Moisture conditioner for 30 minutes to an hour. My ends had felt crispy before I started doing this BUT I haven't had any problems since.

ALSO, a huge tip, JBCO works magically on my hair (its fine). BUT be sure to lightly dampen your hands before applying to your ends OR dampen your hair slightly (I use a misting bottle). Lots of people say JBCO is too heavy, but its a water soluable oil so applying with a bit of water helps the application. You don't have to be heavy handed with the product to see results either.

Do you use heat when you but the moisturizing conditioner too?
I don't have a protein conditioner, but I do use Ion's Keratin reconstructor once every 4-6 weeks. Should I up the dosage on that?

thanks for the JBCO tip! That stuff is something serious, mine has lasted me for like 6 months now!

I forgot to mention - my current FAVORITE moisturizing creme is Aveda Brilliant Universal creme (a little goes a long way). Its very very moisturizing to my hair. I mix a little of that with a 1/2 pump of JBCO (I put all my oils into pump bottles) and a 1/2 pump of 100% pure argan oil, emulify in my hands first then apply to hair. Its been a real great find of a product staple.

Thanks Ladies..

I having the same problems..I BC'd in December and I thought maybe scab hair?? Since I do have some Roux Porosity Control from my relaxed days, I will give it a try the next wash.

I forgot to mention - my current FAVORITE moisturizing creme is Aveda Brilliant Universal creme (a little goes a long way). Its very very moisturizing to my hair. I mix a little of that with a 1/2 pump of JBCO (I put all my oils into pump bottles) and a 1/2 pump of 100% pure argan oil, emulify in my hands first then apply to hair. Its been a real great find of a product staple.

I trust anything aveda. I'll look into that

Do you use heat when you but the moisturizing conditioner too?
I don't have a protein conditioner, but I do use Ion's Keratin reconstructor once every 4-6 weeks. Should I up the dosage on that?

thanks for the JBCO tip! That stuff is something serious, mine has lasted me for like 6 months now!

lately I have been experimenting with Chicoro's theory which seems to hold true. She recommends using heat with protein and steam for moisture. So I pull out my hooded dryer for my protein DC and then either use my steamer for moisture OR just allow my body heat to "steam" under a plastic cap for a bit more time. That really has worked well for my hair. I was skeptical since so many people talk about how they are protein sensitive, but my hair is sooooo much stronger and healthier for its application every two weeks or so. You could experiment with a lighter protein and see how it works for you. Before I switched to Megatek as my protein, I applyed Fekkai's PM Protein RX the night before I shampooed with JBCO and my hair loved that as well. Coincidentally, I thought my hair was protein sensitive because my former stylist said it was....and it was not true at all.

Eventually as my Megatek supply runs out, I will switch to prepacked version of this from Joico K-Pak line (the 17 minute miracle) which they seem to suggest using weekly. It follows the same idea as poo, PC, protein then moisture DC. So I think you can either replicate this set up with your products without having to buy a bunch of stuff OR just buy their pre-packaged set up if you are less confident with your choices.

JBCO and water was a trial and error thing. the first time I applied it to dry hair, it was thick and sticky (ugh!). BUT after I hit on adding a little water, amazing things happened. Try applying at night, protecting your ends and wrapping your hair up in a scarf or bonnet. I would wake up with the softest hair going in the am.

lately I have been experimenting with Chicoro's theory which seems to hold true. She recommends using heat with protein and steam for moisture. So I pull out my hooded dryer for my protein DC and then either use my steamer for moisture OR just allow my body heat to "steam" under a plastic cap for a bit more time. That really has worked well for my hair. I was skeptical since so many people talk about how they are protein sensitive, but my hair is sooooo much stronger and healthier for its application every two weeks or so. You could experiment with a lighter protein and see how it works for you. Before I switched to Megatek as my protein, I applyed Fekkai's PM Protein RX the night before I shampooed with JBCO and my hair loved that as well. Coincidentally, I thought my hair was protein sensitive because my former stylist said it was....and it was not true at all.

Eventually as my Megatek supply runs out, I will switch to prepacked version of this from Joico K-Pak line (the 17 minute miracle) which they seem to suggest using weekly. It follows the same idea as poo, PC, protein then moisture DC. So I think you can either replicate this set up with your products without having to buy a bunch of stuff OR just buy their pre-packaged set up if you are less confident with your choices.

JBCO and water was a trial and error thing. the first time I applied it to dry hair, it was thick and sticky (ugh!). BUT after I hit on adding a little water, amazing things happened. Try applying at night, protecting your ends and wrapping your hair up in a scarf or bonnet. I would wake up with the softest hair going in the am.

thanks!

I have mega tek but I only use it on my scalp. I was too scared to put in on my hair. maybe i'll try this!

thanks!

I have mega tek but I only use it on my scalp. I was too scared to put in on my hair. maybe i'll try this!

Cool let me know how it works for you. I was skeptical, so I bought Alter Ego garlic conditioner just in case I started shedding. As it turned out, while I had some slight shedding initially, after I stuck with it, the shedding slowed down then stopped. My sickly extra-fine hairs were shed and stronger more normal sized (looking) hairs are now growing out nicely in place of those hairs.

Not that I recommend buying a bunch of products but IF you do experience a little shedding initially with Megatek, try the AE garlic conditioner OR simply add a little garlic powder to your favorite conditioner. Use the garlic conditioner on an opposite week or if you DC twice a week, use it as the DC for the second time that week until the shedding calms down. Then try alternating as you shouldn't need to use the garlic conditioner weekly.

Also, if you have any ceramide oils in your collection, add a squirt or two to your Megatek. I forgot to say, I add a few pumps of wheat germ oil to my mix.

Thanks ladies and op. I'm always looking for new/ different moisture retention ideas.
mzteaze- I love the idea of supporting the Argan producing women's cooperative while taking care of my hair! Where to you get your Argan oil?

Thanks ladies and op. I'm always looking for new/ different moisture retention ideas.
@mzteaze- I love the idea of supporting the Argan producing women's cooperative while taking care of my hair! Where to you get your Argan oil?

Please tell me more about that cooperative as I would love to support a cause while taking better care of my hair.

I ordered my current supply from Lotioncrafter. It was a lovely quality product which I would definitely order again.

Cool let me know how it works for you. I was skeptical, so I bought Alter Ego garlic conditioner just in case I started shedding. As it turned out, while I had some slight shedding initially, after I stuck with it, the shedding slowed down then stopped. My sickly extra-fine hairs were shed and stronger more normal sized (looking) hairs are now growing out nicely in place of those hairs.

Not that I recommend buying a bunch of products but IF you do experience a little shedding initially with Megatek, try the AE garlic conditioner OR simply add a little garlic powder to your favorite conditioner. Use the garlic conditioner on an opposite week or if you DC twice a week, use it as the DC for the second time that week until the shedding calms down. Then try alternating as you shouldn't need to use the garlic conditioner weekly.

Also, if you have any ceramide oils in your collection, add a squirt or two to your Megatek. I forgot to say, I add a few pumps of wheat germ oil to my mix.

Thanks.
So I'm gonna try
Washing -- (should I use a moisturizing shampoo or a clarifying shampoo)
PC for 3 minutes
Mega-tek with heat for 10 minutes
LeKair Shea Butter Cholesterol for an hour with no heat (is this a good moisturizing deep co or would my v05 strawberries and cream suffice?)

Thanks.
So I'm gonna try
Washing -- (should I use a moisturizing shampoo or a clarifying shampoo)
PC for 3 minutes
Mega-tek with heat for 10 minutes
LeKair Shea Butter Cholesterol for an hour with no heat (is this a good moisturizing deep co or would my v05 strawberries and cream suffice?)

You can use either type shampoo, I normally use DevaCurl low-poo (moisture) or Phyto phytoneutre (clarifying poo) depending on the needs for that week.

Is LeKair a moisturing DC? You really need to follow a protein with a moisturing DC. Sadly, I am not familiar with LeKair or VO5. I am thinking cholesterol is another type of low or medium protein.

Back